PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

A new 'tougher' thread... and so it continues

Options

Comments

• LavenderBees
    LavenderBees Posts: 1,718 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 27 December 2011 at 7:05PM
    Options
    Byatt wrote: »
    [STRIKE]It's funny, it's the little things that break the camels back; and this camel is broken. All my life I've put other's first, but who has spent Christmas and will spend NYE alone, whilst people like my ex have family around him, including my dd?

Me. And I'm sorry to be so blue, as I know there are worse things and tomorrow is another day...

Just something my dd said in the phone call to me.
    [/STRIKE] Just ignore me...:o

Hi,

delurking as must respond to this, though not at all sure what to say..except I can't ignore this.

Byatt, you sound like a lovely lady and mother. Circumstances sometimes conspire against the best of us, and it's really not necessarily a reflection on you that you've spent Christmas alone. Perhaps there are a few people around you who should be looking at themselves a bit more, who have perhaps let you down?

Anyway, just wanted to say...

Also, I too spent Christmas Day alone. I did have invites but truthfully, I feel more lonely amongst people playing happy families on Christmas Day then on my own, without my own happy family. Unfortunately, I unexpectedly find myself middle aged and no family of my own - not what I expected.

But such is life, I'm afraid.

Christmas & New Year are by far the horriblest, loneliest time of the year, so please don't hesitate to shout, should you feel lonely. I suspect that amongst the happy families on this forum are quite a number of us feeling like that or muddling through as best we can by burying these feelings as far down as we can get them.

Back to lurking again, and sincerely hope I haven't overstepped the mark for you or anyone else reading.

Take care, and keep the faith. You will feel better...I promise you.

xx

ETA - now I've caught up on the rest of the thread I can see that Lizzy has declared her support for the joys of no sprouts...but truly one of the joys of being alone on Christmas Day has to be the fact that you can eat as many sprouts as you want, and THOROUGHLY enjoy the after effects with no guilt :¬)

Now come on....you know you all want to
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

delurking as must respond to this, though not at all sure what to say..except I can't ignore this.

Byatt, you sound like a lovely lady and mother. Circumstances sometimes conspire against the best of us, and it's really not necessarily a reflection on you that you've spent Christmas alone. Perhaps there are a few people around you who should be looking at themselves a bit more, who have perhaps let you down?

Anyway, just wanted to say...

Also, I too spent Christmas Day alone. I did have invites but truthfully, I feel more lonely amongst people playing happy families on Christmas Day then on my own, without my own happy family. Unfortunately, I unexpectedly find myself middle aged and no family of my own - not what I expected.

But such is life, I'm afraid.

Christmas & New Year are by far the horriblest, loneliest time of the year, so please don't hesitate to shout, should you feel lonely. I suspect that amongst the happy families on this forum are quite a number of us feeling like that or muddling through as best we can by burying these feelings as far down as we can get them.

Back to lurking again, and sincerely hope I haven't overstepped the mark for you or anyone else reading.

Take care, and keep the faith. You will feel better...I promise you.

xx

ETA - now I've caught up on the rest of the thread I can see that Lizzy has declared her support for the joys of no sprouts...but truly one of the joys of being alone on Christmas Day has to be the fact that you can eat as many sprouts as you want, and THOROUGHLY enjoy the after effects with no guilt :¬)

Now come on....you know you all want to

LavenderBees, no, you have definitely not overstepped the mark; I am very touched that you came out of lurkdom to post this for me. I hope you post some more.

As for the sprouts, I have found a great recipe; slice thinly and fry in oil with garlic, until leaves are browned, even crunchy...very yummy.

Thank you for your thoughtful and caring post. :A
  • smitty2702
    Options
    Frugal wrote: »
    I'm so glad its working for you, VJsMum - I've not been using EVOO for a while and my skin is suffering for it - back on the olive oil today! Hope it works for your DD - pls let us know how she gets on with it :)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: That made me laugh!!!

LOLs too at Mardy's smug hen :D

Hi sorry to jump in on your thread. I use almond oil on my face rather than EVOO as I find it less greasy. Id also recommend coconut oil as a body lotion and also as a conditioner (needs quite a bit of washing out but smelly yummy!) its also great to put on your hands / feet liberally and put gloves or socks on and leave overnight as it really is a great softener.

Ill be pulling up a chair if thats ok as things are pretty tough for us and we need to keep a tight reign this year.
  • shelley_crow
    Options
    does anyone know if I can use trex instead of butter to make Softstuff's mincemeat drops? x
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    does anyone know if I can use trex instead of butter to make Softstuff's mincemeat drops? x

I'd say not, just because the buttery taste is a big part of it, it's not just a hidden bit in the biccie if you see what I mean. Plus, as we discovered with the lurpak spreadable attempt, the oilier it is, the softer and flatter the dough. It just doesn't go right. Sorry.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Well, diet starts tomorrow, I is like a hooose end.

And the big frugal strategy for 2012 is a monthly meal plan. Ouch, will be hard work but well worth it as will help with a steady store cupboard and a tight reign on the budget.

Tomorrow change happens and it feels well over due.
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    edited 28 December 2011 at 12:25AM
    Options
    lizzyb1812 wrote: »
    Byatt, Series 1 came out in 2010 and was repeated on BBC HD this christmas - I have Freesat. It's not on I-Player as it originally aired so long ago and stuff is only available for certain periods of time.

Just checked my supplies of fresh stuff to see what I should get in - scrap that shopping trip, I've got loads of stuff :D January Grocery Challenge set at £60 to encourage me to use stuff in freezer and cupboards.

I've got a Debenhams giftcard and have been looking at their website - there isn't a single thing I want to buy:eek: - how my habits have changed! I usually send flowers to mum on Mother's Day - may use the card on something then.

Thanks, I did see the first series; I wasn't sure I was going to like it as I love the traditional Sherlock, but thought it was brilliant.

I'm going to try the grocery challenge for January as I have a lot of stuff in.
    I made a casserole with pork chunks I got on offer Xmas eve, threw them in the SC today as their use by date was up and no room in the freezer. Then after 5 hours, took out the tender meat and a little of the stock and poured a slug of opened mulled wine, bisto, and left over onion gravy (passed its use by date but not by much), popped in the oven for a while and it was gorgeous! Have loads left for tomorrow. Need to use up some beef but I don't like it cold so need to find a recipe to adapt it somehow.

Went to Mr T's locally and it was like the Marie Celeste! I have never seen it so deserted. Picked up 3kgs of carrots for 8p, 2 caulis for 20p and some flowers for 15p. Lots of soup on the menu! Bar the flowers. :rotfl:

edit: My DD gave me a Debenhams £10 gift token and I trawled for ages on line looking for something. Settled on some slippers. It seems however that you have to spend the exact amount of the gift card online otherwise it won't accept. For ages I tried adding something for £12, and ended up paying the full £12. I contacted CS and had a surreal conversation, but in a nutshell, it's what I said above.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Fuddle, yer no the only hoose end hen! LOL And I would like to come in on a monthly menu plan too. Was planning shops tomorrow but not with this big wind forecast.
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have wipe rage

jan 2011 17p a pack value baby wipes-tesco same
    6months ago 26p in both
    month ago 35p in both
    today in sainsburys 46p
    just checked my supermarket asda and tesco also 46p

why they all fixed the same?

people cant downshift lower than value

its not just wipes its other value lines going up steep rises 10p plus in such short space of time

wondering if supermarkets taking advantage as greater demand for value lines.
    wonder if gap betwen value and own brand narrowing or they raising own brand too?

Im now on wipe watch/hunt and will now when see something cheap buy in bulk as whos knows what price it be next week.

all the supermarleys have baby events so will buy then.Lidls do cheap nappies but not wipes.

wondering if sensitive facial wipes be good for babys bum?
    can get 2packs for £1 in poundshop/wilkos.

had relaxing evening but lots to do tommorow.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To all those that have spent Christmas alone and feel envious of the happy families on here.

Sometimes families aint so happy.

Maybe it's better to be at peace with yourself than irritated with others.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport