PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

A new 'tougher' thread... and so it continues

Options

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well how OS can you be? I've been sitting watching 7 brides for 7 brothers whilst knitting and eating HM christmas cake! :o Loved it.

Had my ideal boxing day so far - some games with the kids, left overs lunch (and tea) and watching a film whilst (nearly) everyone else went out. So much food left - and tons of chocolate. Not sure what i'm going to do with it.

The guests are leaving tomorrow and we have a day to ourselves before we have to head down to Kent for dad's birthday. New Year (which I hate) back home - but bringing favourite niece back with me for a couple of days.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OMG my house is a tip and I've got the washer on, is that all wrong on Boxing day? Never mind I guess I'll catch up at some point in the next five years.

I thought that when you reached middle age and your kids were all grown up that things got easier..... gordon benett it's worse!! They got loads of stuff for Christmas and it's everywhere, with two girls in here I could open up my own fashion and make up store. LOL

Him indoors is hiding upstairs playing computer games with his mate. Feels like I have three kids at times, still at least he's not in the pub or the bookies eh? Gotta look on the bright side!
  • jackel
    jackel Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks a million Gailey for your nativity story.I laughed until I had tears running down my face ! I always enjoy your posts as they take me back to when I moved from one crisis to another when kids were part of my life. Thanks also to the rest of this great thread I appreciate you all. United we stand.Jac xx
  • modern_millie_2
    Options
    Hi everyone, happy Boxing Day! OH and DD did us proud with the lunch yesterday, have had quite odd leftover meal today including veg. burgers, risotto and sprouts! Clearede the decks a bit, anyway, and no waste.
    DD and Oh are watching the Xmas lunch episode of the Vicar of Dibley atm - seen it loads of times but it still makes me laugh.
    Gailey, what a lovely story - one for the family history books.
    Bluebag, nice to see you back.

Mardatha, think you are right - we should all be proud for doing the best we can with limited resources, well done us!

Have a lovely evening toughies.
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    edited 26 December 2011 at 9:51PM
    Options
    [STRIKE]It's funny, it's the little things that break the camels back; and this camel is broken. All my life I've put other's first, but who has spent Christmas and will spend NYE alone, whilst people like my ex have family around him, including my dd?

Me. And I'm sorry to be so blue, as I know there are worse things and tomorrow is another day...

Just something my dd said in the phone call to me.
    [/STRIKE] Just ignore me...:o

And I'm worried about TaurusGB, she is so quiet, I hope all is well.
  • prepareathome
    Options
    ((((Byatt))) lots of hugs to you.

Am hoping she is just finding it to hard to type on mobile and waiting till she is home, or if home finding it to hard to sit at pc yet.......

Hope everyone else has survived the past two days..........
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • Mrs_Chip
    Mrs_Chip Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    I checked Taurus's profile and she was active on 24th, even if she was not up to posting, she was reading then. Hopefully she is home and enjoying a good rest.
    Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Mrs Chips. :)

On a lighter note, I have been looking after a lovely cat over Xmas , and tomorrow, look after 3 for a few days, and 1 for a few days. It's my business, which I just started this year, and hope it will take off as we head for Spring.

I'm watching Poirot now. There's not been much on tv...loads of channels and nothing on. :rotfl:I was remembering the days of B&W and just 2 channels. When we got BBC2, it was all snowy and we could hardly watch it. I recall watching All Quiet on the Western Front on BBC2, and combined with the age of the film and the snowy channel, I could hardly see a thing, but I've never forgotten it. (I was quite a serious child I think).

My friend and I were talking about being poor yet still having lots of things. I know it's things accumulated over time, but poverty comes in many guises I think. I know I have only just realised I am poor. I have been fighting that label for a long time without realising it. I had planned my future and worked hard, making sacrifices, but abandonment and divorce have left me with a future I didn't see coming. Almost 30 of years of marriage and nothing to show for it. This is a no fault country, and staying home to look after my disabled dd counted for nothing. Late 50's and trying to find work in a rural area is almost impossible, hence the business. I keep trying. :):T

I have met some lovely pet owner's, as mad about their pets as I am. (Well just the pooch and a few fish now.)

I've eaten way to much over the last couple of days, but still want to graze...need to check the fridge to see what must be eaten in the next day or so. I broke 2 plates and a glass earlier, they slithered off the top of a plastic dish which I had stupidly placed on top of the oven; it melted and every thing crashed to the stone floor!! :eek::o
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hugs Byatt, sorry to hear you're having such a tough time right now.

hornetgirl wrote: »
    This evening we're going in to our neighbours so there's a batch of Softstuff's Christmas cookie dough chilling at the moment. The last lot went down very well with my work colleagues, and I also had 3 requests for the mincemeat melts/drops recipe. Your fame is spreading Softstuff!
    :eek: Infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy!

I won't be allowed in when I try and come to England next year, I'll be barred because of crimes against cholesterol or I'll have to have a health warning tattooed on my forehead.

Glad you and yours are enjoying them. We still have a couple of slices of cake and a few mince pies left.

Went boxing day sale shopping and was quite successful - have the crackers and disposable plates for hosting Christmas next year, have my Christmas cards, got hubby a pair of swimming shorts for 3 quid, 2 tins of danish butter cookies (he loves them) half price.... and all manner of other little reduced goodies.

We're planning a big new years here, we'll rent *2* movies this year instead of one :rotfl: They have a $1.95 special on new years eve. We may even have a roast dinner and some popcorn.

Hope you're improving Taurus.

Right now here I'm enjoying the feeling of Christmas abundance. Thanks to earlier work I don't need to cook for a few days, I know there's plenty of food in the freezer, plenty of snacks around and I can just chill out. Hubby has a couple of weeks off, so we'll be enjoying some serious sofa time!
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the info re Taurus, Mrs Chip.

Byatt - don't feel bad about being "poor". There's no shame in it. I'm the same myself now but I don't care as long as I can keep me and the pets housed and fed. I have lots of things too - and in the new year they will be going on fleabay etc as I've realised that I'll never get organised and decluttered if I don't actually get a load of stuff out of the house.

I've been on my own for Christmas and will be again on New Year's Eve. It's great - no accommodating others' wishes before my own, no sprouts, no enforced jollity, no watching so called comedy programmes that I don't find funny, etc, etc. And I'm not really a grinch, honest :rotfl:

Remember that you and DD know what you did for her and there are plenty of people on here who will know how hard that was and will empathise.

Hope the new Poirot was good - I've been catching up with Sherlock the last few days so couldn't watch it.

Tomorrow it's more washing - yes, I did a load today - and the glamorous sort-out-what's-in-the-fridge-and-needs-eating/sorting-so-I-don't-throw-good-food-away. Squeaky would be proud of me :T
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport