🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The "Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2012" challenge

Options

Comments

• kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    mf0u1098 wrote: »
    Well done on your sale and hopefully the total should go up before the end of the bid! Every little helps as Mr T says!

Thanks for the tip Kerri_dfw, I do the same so it looks as professional as possible. It reallt makes a difference in price doesn't it! Thanks for sharing as you never know who this may help xxx
    mf0u1098 wrote: »
    Ooooh, what what crafty things do you make...???
    I made a toiletry bag and a business card wallet the other day. They're on my folksy shop, not sure I can advertise it on here so if you want to know pm me =)

I've also made jewellery from Swarovski beads in the past but can no longer list them there and I much prefer sewing, but will see. I need to do something with all the leftover beads.
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • fritterprincess
    Options
    Hello!
    I'd love to join you.
    I've got £2250 on a Lloydtsb cc and £4250 santander overdraft (with Husband!)
    so please put me down for £6500. Have just got to push DH to have his lightbulb moment.
    thanks xx.
    LBM 14th Oct 2011 TOTAL DEBT £8500 :eek: £8500/£8500 (100%) paid)
    santander overdraft £[STRIKE]4250[/STRIKE]£0!!
    lloydstsb cc £[STRIKE]2250[/STRIKE] £0!!
    lloydstsb overdraft £[STRIKE]1200[/STRIKE] £0!!
    Owe parents £[STRIKE]800[/STRIKE] £0!!
    Pay off all my debts my xmas 2012 challenge #13:j
  • his_missus
    his_missus Posts: 3,363 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    kerri_dfw wrote: »
    I made a toiletry bag and a business card wallet the other day. They're on my folksy shop, not sure I can advertise it on here so if you want to know pm me =)QUOTE]

Could you not post a link on your profile? Would love to have a browse. I'm quite good at papercraft but that's my limit :o
  • kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    his_missus wrote: »
    kerri_dfw wrote: »
    I made a toiletry bag and a business card wallet the other day. They're on my folksy shop, not sure I can advertise it on here so if you want to know pm me =)QUOTE]

Could you not post a link on your profile? Would love to have a browse. I'm quite good at papercraft but that's my limit :o
    Ooh good idea! I'll do that now. I really should make and list more items though. I'm a Cath Kidston fabric addict newly converted, but got some Clarke & Clarke through today that I'm going to play with tonight.
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • debtfreeeju
    Options
    Ooh, ooh (*puts hand up and jumps up and down*), can I join please?

I'd LOVE to get rid of my debt by Christmas 2012!

I've got £9650 to go - I think I'm going to need a miracle (or a promotion)!
  • emiesq
    emiesq Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to join as well. :)

Actually, am hoping to get this done earlier (see sig), but not sure how realistic that will be, as it'd require me to save £1250 per month... However, have been doing quite well this month, and think I'll just about manage £1000 by the end of the month, so I'm going to aim for:

1. Clearing 10k debt
    2. Having 5k of savings (I can dream... :p )

Small steps I'll take:
    - Can't stand instant coffee, and used to spend money on lattes. Managed to cut down from coffee shop coffee to canteen coffee, and now, will try to cut down to Kenco 2-in-1s, which I can just about stand. :D So for monthly coffee money, that's: £75 --> £35 already, now £35 --> £4.5

-Growing my hair, so only need to trim it myself (which I used to do anyway). More money on shampoo, but think it will balance out hairdresser money...

- De-cluttering on eBay/Amazon

- Re-negotiating phone contract, because now I hardly ever use my minutes due to change in lifestyle...

Big aims for next year:
    - Pay review :)

Challenges:
    - Just got a letter to say energy prices have risen from my supplier. Don't think there's anything cheaper for now...
    - Moving
    - I'm sure there were more, but maybe not! :D
    November £10 per day challenge: £265.93/£300

November NSDs: 5/10

Goal - Debt-free by XMAS 2012 Challenge #015: £10k :o
    (and hoping to go positive with 5k savings...)
  • mf0u1098
    mf0u1098 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello!
    I'd love to join you.
    I've got £2250 on a Lloydtsb cc and £4250 santander overdraft (with Husband!)
    so please put me down for £6500. Have just got to push DH to have his lightbulb moment.
    thanks xx.

Hi fritterprincess and welcome to our team, I will put your name and total on the 2nd post! xxx
    New Debt Journey: Pay off £19,622.91 by 30th April 2015 :T

Debt at Highest: £43,073 :eek:
  • mf0u1098
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ooh, ooh (*puts hand up and jumps up and down*), can I join please?

I'd LOVE to get rid of my debt by Christmas 2012!

I've got £9650 to go - I think I'm going to need a miracle (or a promotion)!

I know what you mean, I feel like that too but I'm sure that there are ways that I could save money or sell items that I'm not doing at the moment so help me to my goal. I like to think that if it wasn't tough then it wouldn't be called a challenge. Anyway, welcome to the team! xxx

• joo_3
    joo_3 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Ooooh, this is v inspiring! You've all inspired me to chop one credit card (£4000) into tiny pieces and freeze another (£7700) in a bowl of water....I can spend no more, and after months of knowing I should sort myself out feel like I've finally taken the first step. Thank you!

Joo
  • mf0u1098
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    emiesq wrote: »
    I'm going to join as well. :)

Actually, am hoping to get this done earlier (see sig), but not sure how realistic that will be, as it'd require me to save £1250 per month... However, have been doing quite well this month, and think I'll just about manage £1000 by the end of the month, so I'm going to aim for:

1. Clearing 10k debt
    2. Having 5k of savings (I can dream... :p )

Small steps I'll take:
    - Can't stand instant coffee, and used to spend money on lattes. Managed to cut down from coffee shop coffee to canteen coffee, and now, will try to cut down to Kenco 2-in-1s, which I can just about stand. :D So for monthly coffee money, that's: £75 --> £35 already, now £35 --> £4.5

-Growing my hair, so only need to trim it myself (which I used to do anyway). More money on shampoo, but think it will balance out hairdresser money...

- De-cluttering on eBay/Amazon

- Re-negotiating phone contract, because now I hardly ever use my minutes due to change in lifestyle...

Big aims for next year:
    - Pay review :)

Challenges:
    - Just got a letter to say energy prices have risen from my supplier. Don't think there's anything cheaper for now...
    - Moving
    - I'm sure there were more, but maybe not! :D

Looks like you've got some fantastic ideas there emiesq. Welcome to the team, I'll add you to the 2nd post xxx

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills