The "Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2012" challenge

Options

Comments

• mf0u1098
    mf0u1098 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kerri_dfw wrote: »
    Ooh I've got a bid on one of my items on fleabay =) 99p so far, with 6 days to go. That'll knock a pound of my total whoop whoop. Will have to have another rummage tonight.

I've found the best way to take photos for fleabay is to put a crisply ironed white sheet over the sofa to form a back drop, then take photos in daylight but make sure the light is even so as not to cause shadows. Then I auto correct the photo using photoshop, and then click on levels, click on the white dipper and click on the white background, this normally takes away any dodgy colouring and evens out the exposure. I'm an amateur but I thought it might help someone else out there =)

Well done on your sale and hopefully the total should go up before the end of the bid! Every little helps as Mr T says!

Thanks for the tip Kerri_dfw, I do the same so it looks as professional as possible. It reallt makes a difference in price doesn't it! Thanks for sharing as you never know who this may help xxx
    New Debt Journey: Pay off £19,622.91 by 30th April 2015 :T

Debt at Highest: £43,073 :eek:
  • rjh35
    rjh35 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    loubie_lou wrote: »
    Good luck rjh! Same story with me, left uni with 4k ish of debt, ended up at highest 17k, down to 14k now. But after 8 years in this mess i'm sick of it. HAD ENOUGH!! Haha, i want my own place and need to clear 14k in 404 days so I can start saving for uni and my own house!

Yeah think that LBM is the most important thing! Cutting up the cards and starting to see the balances go down rather than up!

I don't know whats best, to be saving up for your own place, or like myself, payng a £712 mortgage per month (£500 interest) and not knowing if I will be there next year! Tried to sell it but the shortfall meant more debt!!
    Good luck lou!
    mf0u1098 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking...dangerous I know!!! You can update your amount at ANY time during the month as many times as you want. All I ask is that you put your new debt total in bold and in a different colour preferably in a different colour too

i.e. total now £15,678

You can put anything in the post that you like such as "I've just put £1.76 in my VSP (Virtual Sealed Pot) so new total is .......". I just need to see the total easily. I'll update the totals on the front at least once a week but probably more often.

This is our thread so make it as fun as you want!

Let us know if you've sold things on fleabay or Amazon, or saved £2 coins or anything else you've done to reduce your debt by challenges or competition wins etc. The best way for this to work and for us to achieve this goal is to keep updating the thread frequently so we're always thinking about reducing the debt.

We're also here to help if you need a virtual hug, support, encouragement or just a kick up the bum! We're all in the same boat and have the same goal so let's do this!!! (as Loubie_lou put it so brilliantly yesterday:rotfl:)

You can start this challenge whenever you want and it starts as of the day you join, you do not have to wait until January so it means we can stay focussed over the xmas period and are more likely to achieve a DEBT FREE CHRISTMAS next year!!!!!!!:j:j:j:j

Thanks for taking this on! Its given me even more motivation! It was pretty high before, but the challenge and support has me raring to go!!! Good luck everyone!
  • mf0u1098
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    his_missus wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I'd like to join in if I may.

My debt as it stands today is:

personal loan (taken out to clear my last lot of debts into one debt with lower interest:o) £3015
    credit card (because I stupidly carried on using it:() £2900
    catalogue (I always say I'll pay it off everytime I buy something but don't always:o) £55. I'll pay this off next month but I'm starting as honestly as I can in case I don't pay it off.

TOTAL: £5970

At the moment I'm being really good and have only used my credit card for online on sites that don't accept debit sites and am trying to pay a bit more than the minimum off each month. My personal loan takes up a massive £370 a month from my wage :( but is paid by DD as soon as I get paid. I think I should have finished paying it off by June/July time and that £370 will go towards paying off credit card.

Feeling confident about getting out of debt by the end of 2012 :)

Good luck everyone! xxx

Welcome to the team his missus! You can do it!:j I'll put your name and amount on the 2nd post xxx

• CW2
    CW2 Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking...dangerous I know!!! You can update your amount at ANY time during the month as many times as you want. All I ask is that you put your new debt total in bold and in a different colour preferably in a different colour too

i.e. total now £15,678

You can put anything in the post that you like such as "I've just put £1.76 in my VSP (Virtual Sealed Pot) so new total is .......". I just need to see the total easily. I'll update the totals on the front at least once a week but probably more often.

This is our thread so make it as fun as you want!

Let us know if you've sold things on fleabay or Amazon, or saved £2 coins or anything else you've done to reduce your debt by challenges or competition wins etc. The best way for this to work and for us to achieve this goal is to keep updating the thread frequently so we're always thinking about reducing the debt.

We're also here to help if you need a virtual hug, support, encouragement or just a kick up the bum! We're all in the same boat and have the same goal so let's do this!!! (as Loubie_lou put it so brilliantly yesterday:rotfl:)

You can start this challenge whenever you want and it starts as of the day you join, you do not have to wait until January so it means we can stay focussed over the xmas period and are more likely to achieve a DEBT FREE CHRISTMAS next year!!!!!!!:j:j:j:j

Hello again! This sounds great, really looking forward to taking part. My main debt reductions will be on 1st of each month when all my loan payments go out and interest is applied (I'm on variables so can't work it out during the month), I tend to ignore the total during the month so I get a nice big drop at the beginning of the next month. But will definitely post any achievements I have during the month and any extra money paid towards the debt. I'm sure you lot will be more effective than me at this so it will spur me on!

Debt at LBM (31.05.11): £16,750
    Debt Free Date 22.12.12 :j
    Saving for a house deposit: £5,003 / £15,000 target
  • mf0u1098
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rjh35 wrote: »
    Yeah think that LBM is the most important thing! Cutting up the cards and starting to see the balances go down rather than up!

I don't know whats best, to be saving up for your own place, or like myself, payng a £712 mortgage per month (£500 interest) and not knowing if I will be there next year! Tried to sell it but the shortfall meant more debt!!
    Good luck lou!

Thanks for taking this on! Its given me even more motivation! It was pretty high before, but the challenge and support has me raring to go!!! Good luck everyone!

Thanks rjh35, it's so much easier to tackle a problem with support and help rather than on your own. "A problem shared is a problem halved" I think is the saying. Anyway, I felt I needed a way to keep me on track and not falter if things got tough and there is no way that I want to let you guys down so here I am!

I've just had my name taken off a 100% mortgage as my friend who jointly owned the house decided to take the gamble and take the property in his own name after I moved to a different part of the country even though it is negative equity. I still don't know if I've done the right thing though as house prices will rise in the future in which case I now have no house and no means of getting one any time soon. I hope your situation improves soon xxx

• mf0u1098
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CW2 wrote: »
    Hello again! This sounds great, really looking forward to taking part. My main debt reductions will be on 1st of each month when all my loan payments go out and interest is applied (I'm on variables so can't work it out during the month), I tend to ignore the total during the month so I get a nice big drop at the beginning of the next month. But will definitely post any achievements I have during the month and any extra money paid towards the debt. I'm sure you lot will be more effective than me at this so it will spur me on!

CW2 whatever works best for you is great. It doesn't matter how much or how little you can manage to pay off as long as the amount still continues to drop overall. That said, I'm expecting to need new brake pads soon and you never know if something unexpected comes up that will need your funds that month so don't worry. As long as you just keep going despite these set backs rather than just giving up then you'll get there. As I've said before, we are all in the same boat, we all have different circumstances that mean we can pay different amounts off but just remember that noone is in competition with anyone else here. We are in competition with our debt and IT WILL NOT WIN!!!!

• rjh35
    rjh35 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks rjh35, it's so much easier to tackle a problem with support and help rather than on your own. "A problem shared is a problem halved" I think is the saying. Anyway, I felt I needed a way to keep me on track and not falter if things got tough and there is no way that I want to let you guys down so here I am!

I've just had my name taken off a 100% mortgage as my friend who jointly owned the house decided to take the gamble and take the property in his own name after I moved to a different part of the country even though it is negative equity. I still don't know if I've done the right thing though as house prices will rise in the future in which case I now have no house and no means of getting one any time soon. I hope your situation improves soon xxx

I think my opinion on owning property has changed somewhat! It's a big headache I could do without. BUT, there is nothing that can be done at the moment. Once the debts are cleared (or reduced significantly) I can look at getting in my own name...so focusing on the credit cards! And don't get me started on 100% mortgages...did that with 3 years interest only lol!! :(

It's good to have the support and help of all you guys with the same target for next year! It will spurr all of us on I hope!!

Can't wait for the couple of ebay items to sell at the weekend now!!! :rotfl:Patience is not my strongpoint :rotfl:
  • loubie_lou
    loubie_lou Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey I noticed this morning that you'd updated the 404 days in your signature before me, still raring to go then my dear???:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I did it at 11.45 pm last night hahaha :rotfl: NEEEEEEEED Payday! :j
    In debt no more!
  • kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well done on your sale and hopefully the total should go up before the end of the bid! Every little helps as Mr T says!

Thanks for the tip Kerri_dfw, I do the same so it looks as professional as possible. It reallt makes a difference in price doesn't it! Thanks for sharing as you never know who this may help xxx
    This is the first time I've fleabayed in over a year, so I've never done it that way before. Hoping it will make a difference in the price and will do this for my crafted items when I try to sell those online.
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • mf0u1098
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kerri_dfw wrote: »
    This is the first time I've fleabayed in over a year, so I've never done it that way before. Hoping it will make a difference in the price and will do this for my crafted items when I try to sell those online.

Ooooh, what what crafty things do you make...???

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family