🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The "Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2012" challenge

Options

Comments

• loubie_lou
    loubie_lou Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    9 days till payday, then I can whack a mahoosive chunk of this debt and get the ball rolling :D:D:D:D:D
    In debt no more!
  • antonia1
    antonia1 Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Can I join too please?! I'm new to trying to clear debts - I've been coasting on a constant level of overdraft and credit card since leaving uni 3 years ago. Current debt is £3457 and I'm clearing as much as I can from wages, hoping to be able to clear more when contracts (such as gym, mobile phone) are up early next year. Love the idea of not feeling guilty buying things at Christmas.
    :A If saving money is wrong, I don't want to be right. William Shatner

CC1 [STRIKE] £9400 [/STRIKE] £9300
    CC2 [STRIKE] £800 [/STRIKE] £750
    OD [STRIKE] £1350 [/STRIKE] £1150
  • mf0u1098
    mf0u1098 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have to wait until the 30th til I get paid :mad::mad::mad:
    New Debt Journey: Pay off £19,622.91 by 30th April 2015 :T

Debt at Highest: £43,073 :eek:
  • kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Payday on 26th for me :) although I'm going to not spend it on me, honest
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • mf0u1098
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    antonia1 wrote: »
    Can I join too please?! I'm new to trying to clear debts - I've been coasting on a constant level of overdraft and credit card since leaving uni 3 years ago. Current debt is £3457 and I'm clearing as much as I can from wages, hoping to be able to clear more when contracts (such as gym, mobile phone) are up early next year. Love the idea of not feeling guilty buying things at Christmas.

Absolutely! A lot of people have a lot of debt from uni, I racked up a huge amount on overdrafts and credit cards and am still paying them off. After 6 years I've decided that enough is enough and I just wan to know that all the money in my bank is MINE!!!!!!!

Welcome to the team, I'll add your name and amount on the 2nd post! xxx

• rjh35
    rjh35 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    mf0u1098 wrote: »
    Glad to have you in the team rjh35! I'll put you on the 2nd page with your total. xxx

Thanks mf0u1098!
    I will probably update the total often, as after I have made most of my payments after pay day, I pay silly amounts off to make nice round numbers! The thing is, there is always something that is not to the nearest £10 or so, so its constantly coming down a few pence at a time! Suppose being that obsessive is a good thing though!! (The £1.76 in my total is really bugging me lol!!)

Bit of background as well, 28 years old, got debt up at Uni. Got myself sorted, house etc, racked up a bit of debt, but my ex had a good habit of racking up debts, drawing cash off one credit card to pay for another. I bailed her out with balance transfers at 0% and helped to pay off....she kept doing it = end of that one and me with plenty of debt and a mortgage in both our names (that was a 100% mortgage and cant sell because the house is only worth same as mortgage and would be fees causing a shortfall)

I then increased this debt from September last year until June time where it stood at.....£23987.43!! Now paid a chunk off as well as cancelling a holiday and getting £3k back for! But still coming down and hope to be debt free by xmas next year and get the house in my own name!
  • loubie_lou
    loubie_lou Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rjh35 wrote: »
    Thanks mf0u1098!
    I will probably update the total often, as after I have made most of my payments after pay day, I pay silly amounts off to make nice round numbers! The thing is, there is always something that is not to the nearest £10 or so, so its constantly coming down a few pence at a time! Suppose being that obsessive is a good thing though!! (The £1.76 in my total is really bugging me lol!!)

Bit of background as well, 28 years old, got debt up at Uni. Got myself sorted, house etc, racked up a bit of debt, but my ex had a good habit of racking up debts, drawing cash off one credit card to pay for another. I bailed her out with balance transfers at 0% and helped to pay off....she kept doing it = end of that one and me with plenty of debt and a mortgage in both our names (that was a 100% mortgage and cant sell because the house is only worth same as mortgage and would be fees causing a shortfall)

I then increased this debt from September last year until June time where it stood at.....£23987.43!! Now paid a chunk off as well as cancelling a holiday and getting £3k back for! But still coming down and hope to be debt free by xmas next year and get the house in my own name!

Good luck rjh! Same story with me, left uni with 4k ish of debt, ended up at highest 17k, down to 14k now. But after 8 years in this mess i'm sick of it. HAD ENOUGH!! Haha, i want my own place and need to clear 14k in 404 days so I can start saving for uni and my own house!
    In debt no more!
  • his_missus
    his_missus Posts: 3,363 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 16 November 2011 at 9:13PM
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'd like to join in if I may.

My debt as it stands today is:

personal loan (taken out to clear my last lot of debts into one debt with lower interest:o) £3015
    credit card (because I stupidly carried on using it:() [STRIKE]£2900[/STRIKE] £3513 checked when I got home, more than I thought:(
    catalogue (I always say I'll pay it off everytime I buy something but don't always:o) £55. I'll pay this off next month but I'm starting as honestly as I can in case I don't pay it off.

TOTAL: £6583
    At the moment I'm being really good and have only used my credit card for online on sites that don't accept debit sites and am trying to pay a bit more than the minimum off each month. My personal loan takes up a massive £370 a month from my wage :( but is paid by DD as soon as I get paid. I think I should have finished paying it off by June/July time and that £370 will go towards paying off credit card.

Feeling confident about getting out of debt by the end of 2012 :)

Good luck everyone! xxx
  • mf0u1098
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I've been thinking...dangerous I know!!! You can update your amount at ANY time during the month as many times as you want. All I ask is that you put your new debt total in bold and in a different colour preferably in a different colour too

i.e. total now £15,678

You can put anything in the post that you like such as "I've just put £1.76 in my VSP (Virtual Sealed Pot) so new total is .......". I just need to see the total easily. I'll update the totals on the front at least once a week but probably more often.

This is our thread so make it as fun as you want!

Let us know if you've sold things on fleabay or Amazon, or saved £2 coins or anything else you've done to reduce your debt by challenges or competition wins etc. The best way for this to work and for us to achieve this goal is to keep updating the thread frequently so we're always thinking about reducing the debt.

We're also here to help if you need a virtual hug, support, encouragement or just a kick up the bum! We're all in the same boat and have the same goal so let's do this!!! (as Loubie_lou put it so brilliantly yesterday:rotfl:)

You can start this challenge whenever you want and it starts as of the day you join, you do not have to wait until January so it means we can stay focussed over the xmas period and are more likely to achieve a DEBT FREE CHRISTMAS next year!!!!!!!:j:j:j:j

• mf0u1098
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    loubie_lou wrote: »
    Good luck rjh! Same story with me, left uni with 4k ish of debt, ended up at highest 17k, down to 14k now. But after 8 years in this mess i'm sick of it. HAD ENOUGH!! Haha, i want my own place and need to clear 14k in 404 days so I can start saving for uni and my own house!

Hey I noticed this morning that you'd updated the 404 days in your signature before me, still raring to go then my dear???:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills