PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick Questions on ANYTHING Old Style 3 (See first post for links to other threads)

Options

Comments

• Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    I'm making some chicken sausages for my DD but the book goes on to cook them & I wanted to freeze them for another time. I've just realised the chicken was frozen before I made them, so I'm going to have to cook them anyway but how would I 'reheat' them? Let them defrost, then pop in the oven? Thanks
    C xx
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Skint_Catt, Yes that should be ok. Just make sure you re-heat only once - just defrost what you're going to eat - and that they're totally thawed before putting in the oven. Also make sure they're really piping hot all the way through. :)
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • kittycat204
    kittycat204 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    Options
    I know what a pinch is, i'm making a recipe that requires a pinch, but i'm increasing the quantities by 12.5 so does a "pinch" become a measurable amount at this point.

hope that makes sense. i found a website that told me a pinch was 0.25g, there for making it just over 3g's.

do people agree with that kind of quantity?
    Opinion on everything, knowledge of nothing.
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    Options
    I know what a pinch is, i'm making a recipe that requires a pinch, but i'm increasing the quantities by 12.5 so does a "pinch" become a measurable amount at this point.

hope that makes sense. i found a website that told me a pinch was 0.25g, there for making it just over 3g's.

do people agree with that kind of quantity?

The only way to test for seasoning is to taste it. A pinch is 1/16 th of a teaspoon, so about 3/4 teaspoon.
  • mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Options
    In all honesty, I would weigh out a 'pinch', then just multiply that to get your 12.5 times.

But I'm sure I read the same thing about a pinch being 1/4 gram, so 3g's sounds good to me x
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    start with less than you think you need - much easier to add more than take some away :) I would always go by taste

ive merged this with quick questions.

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    LazyLizzie wrote: »
    Nope I don't mind them getting stained. :) Hopefully that's the reason for the warning then and I wont die from using them for tomato based things haha :D Death by tomato based food in plastic pots, ahhhhhh! :eek:
    I use a microwave rice cooker which gets stained if you use flavourings in the rice. I've just discovered if I leave it on the windowsill for a day:o it went back to white on one side. Turned it round the next day and it's white again! I'd read about putting containers out in sunshine to bleach but couldn't believe that it worked in the awful rainy weather we are getting at the moment! HTH
    Btw those magic sponges are great but be aware that they act like a very fine sandpaper. I have a dull spot on my polished dining table to prove it...:(
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eenymeeny wrote: »
    I use a microwave rice cooker which gets stained if you use flavourings in the rice. I've just discovered if I leave it on the windowsill for a day:o it went back to white on one side. Turned it round the next day and it's white again! I'd read about putting containers out in sunshine to bleach but couldn't believe that it worked in the awful rainy weather we are getting at the moment! HTH

I'd be careful about doing that too often though as the plastic will eventually go brittle and break.
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That looks nomy. Where do ifind a hock?
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 May 2012 at 7:39AM
    Options
    For next time, you can use the dried peas. I'd soak them overnight, along with the ham to remove the salt.

My pea soup doesn't use the "Holy Trinity" of carrot, celery & onion. Keep it simple.

BOILED HAM plus PEA & HAM SOUP

If you are going to boil a ham joint, make some pea & ham soup at the same time.

For 2 x 250ml servings of soup

INGREDIENTS

1 ham joint
    250g of peas
    500ml of water

METHOD

Rinse the ham in cold water, then soak the ham in cold water for at least 6 hours, changing the water once or twice if it is very salty, or according to any cooking instructions. If you are using dried peas, soak them in water according to the instructions on the box.

Put the ham and water into a large saucepan on a medium heat. If you are using dried peas, add them now. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat until it is just boiling (simmering).

Put the lid on the saucepan and cook according to the cooking instructions on the ham. Check the liquid level from time to time and top up if it starts to dry out. Remove any white salt scum, which will probably form on the surface of the water.

Remove the ham. Adjust the amount of water back to 1 litre.

If you are using tinned peas, open the tins, drain off the water and add them now. If you are using fresh or frozen peas, add them now.

Continue cooking until the peas are soft. Check the liquid level from time to time and top up if it starts to dry out.

If you have a food processor, put the soup in it and blend it to the desired consistency. If you have a hand blender, put it in the soup and blend it to the desired consistency. If you don’t have a food processor or hand blender, use a potato masher, press the soup through a sieve with the back of a spoon, or leave it lumpy. If you used a food processor, rinse out the saucepan and put the soup back into the saucepan.

Put the saucepan on a low heat and reheat the soup gently.

ADDITIONS & ALTERNATIVES

You can use dried, fresh, frozen or tinned peas, either on their own or in any combination. Dried peas need to be soaked in advance. Tinned garden and marrowfat peas come in water and the drained weight of a 300g tin of peas is 185g, so use two tins and 750ml of water and make 3 servings.

Add some of the cooked ham to the soup before blending.

Omit the ham and add a vegetable stock cube to make pea soup.

TIPS

Pea & ham soup can be any consistency from a thin liquid with soft peas floating in it to a thick paste you can stand a spoon up in.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure