🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

speed limits

Options

Comments

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shipshape, each circumstance is different, but in your example, you've no right to pull out in front of anyone regardless of what speed you or they are doing. You must not cause another road user to change course or speed. Not saying you did, just saying that the attitude 'I'm doing the speed limit, someone's coming up behind me, but I can pull out anyway because they're speeding' is wrong. See above re: speedometers!
  • SHIPSHAPE
    SHIPSHAPE Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Shipshape, each circumstance is different, but in your example, you've no right to pull out in front of anyone regardless of what speed you or they are doing. You must not cause another road user to change course or speed. Not saying you did, just saying that the attitude 'I'm doing the speed limit, someone's coming up behind me, but I can pull out anyway because they're speeding' is wrong. See above re: speedometers!

No, you have the wrong end of the stick, my example was that I was driving legally in the overtaking lane and some idiot behind me wants me to get out of the way so that he has a clear run to go faster than the 70mph I was doing in overtaking slower cars in the middle lane.

I'm sorry but if that fool wants to break the law then he'll just have to wait until I finish my, legal, manoeuvre and no flashing of lights and flapping of arms is going to intimidate me.
  • SHIPSHAPE
    Options
    Bongles wrote: »

But all this misses the point of my previous post. You said you love annoying them. That gave the impression that you would behave differently with a tailgater behind than with someone following safely, with the specific goal of further annoying the tailgater. That would imply a reckless disregard for the safety of others. I hope that's not what you meant.

No, I said I was driving along correctly in the overtaking lane to pass cars driving slower in the middle lane, I was at the 70mph limit in the overtaking lane.

Some impatient tool has nowhere else to go because I am blocking their way, despite driving to the legal limit.

My actions are completely legal as I am overtaking slower cars, this is an obvious annoyance to the driver behind me as I am not intimidated to drive faster than 70mph in the overtaking lane just because he is flashing his lights at me to get out the way so he can proceed at 80/90+ miles.

I delight in that because the natural consequence of my driving legally is annoying him because he wants to speed.

I couldn't care less.

If he's annoyed then tough, he should stick to the speed limit.

And if he causes a crash it's down to him not me.
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    SHIPSHAPE wrote: »
    No, I said I was driving along correctly in the overtaking lane to pass cars driving slower in the middle lane, I was at the 70mph limit in the overtaking lane.

Some impatient tool has nowhere else to go because I am blocking their way, despite driving to the legal limit.

My actions are completely legal as I am overtaking slower cars, this is an obvious annoyance to the driver behind me as I am not intimidated to drive faster than 70mph in the overtaking lane just because he is flashing his lights at me to get out the way so he can proceed at 80/90+ miles.

I delight in that because the natural consequence of my driving legally is annoying him because he wants to speed.

I couldn't care less.

If he's annoyed then tough, he should stick to the speed limit.

And if he causes a crash it's down to him not me.

but you might not be doing the legal limit. You could be doing 60 with your speedo out and he's wanting to do 70 but you're in his way and trundling along.
  • jase1
    jase1 Posts: 2,308 Forumite
    Options
    SHIPSHAPE wrote: »
    Well, I'm not going to pull over to the middle lane whilst I am overtaking at 70mph just because some turd behind me wants to go about 80+mph thinking he owns the road flashing me like a burk and flapping his arms around like Orville on acid.

No-one is suggesting you should.

However I have found a use for such drivers -- when there is someone hogging the outer lane of a 2-lane motorway, well under the speed limit, I will happily wait in the inside lane matching their speed a couple of seconds behind and take great pleasure in watching the neanderthal tailgater bully the lane-hog into submission, ready and waiting to follow on behind him when he's done his job. Pat on the head, "good dog" and on my way, leaving the hog fuming.
  • SHIPSHAPE
    Options
    but you might not be doing the legal limit. You could be doing 60 with your speedo out and he's wanting to do 70 but you're in his way and trundling along.

Not so, I know my car. If driving at 74 I will actually be doing 70, I've verified it by my satnav.

This is further confirmed where my ETA's correspond with a distance equalling a travel speed on the M-way of 70mph.

Put it this way, I have travelled through many speed traps doing 74 and have a clean licence.

So I doubt very much I'm actually doing 60mph and trundling along.
  • jase1
    jase1 Posts: 2,308 Forumite
    Options
    Whether or not SHIPSHAPE is driving below, at or above the limit is irrelevant.

If they are travelling faster than the lane to their left, they are doing nothing wrong and should not have to accommodate drivers behind.

If they are travelling at the same speed, or slower than traffic to their left (or indeed there is nothing to the left within a reasonable distance ahead), they need to be thinking about moving back across to the left, and doing so at the earliest safe opportunity.

End of story. No ifs, no buts.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    The general rule is that if you can pull into the lane on your left and remain in that lane AT your current speed for more than 10 seconds, then you should move over.

What I don't condone is the "im doing the speed limit, therefore it's my job to sit in lane 3 and make everyone else drive at that speed". Because quite frankly, whilst I don't drive over 70 on the motorways myself, I would not blame someone for following said car into the nearest services and giving the driver a bloody nose.

Anyone who thinks they have the right to drive about acting all "plastic Policeman", deserves to be shot!!
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • WhiteHorse
    WhiteHorse Posts: 2,492 Forumite
    Options
    Nearly_Old wrote: »
    On my 3 cars 70 on the SatNav gives speedometer readings between 61 and 66.
    Allowing for time delays and movement of the earth?
    "Never underestimate the mindless force of a government bureaucracy
    seeking to expand its power, dominion and budget"
    Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union.
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had an interesting one on the new M4 HADECS installation recently (more than 14 days ago)

As well as the gantry signs that change the speed limit, the normal left lane matrix signs are also capable of displaying red circles and thus displaying the speed limit.

So pass under a HADECS gantry displaying 40 over every lane, the matrix sign further down the road is displaying 40, then it changes to 60.

I do not wait until I have passed that sign I speed up to 60 and the person I was alongside seems to take offence to this as they start flashing at me.

Now, my argument is that these single signs are not speed limit changing signs as there must be at least two, at the start of a new speed limit, a single sign can only be a repeater.

If they are a repeater, that means that the previous HADECS gantry must have also changed to 60, therefore the bit of road I was on at the time must now be subject to a 60 limit, therefore I will accelerate to 60.

Agree/disagree?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family