speed limits

Options

Comments

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    jase1 wrote: »
    There was an interesting case on that Channel 5 dodgy drivers programme tonight.

Unless it was a poor piece of editing, it appeared that on two occasions the woman obsessed with lowering speeds everywhere performed a very curious method of 'getting rid' of tailgaters.

She appeared to pull into the outside lane in an apparent effort to encourage the following car to pass her on the left. This was paired with her looking in the mirror, wanting the car out of her hair.

Given that neither the programme nor the AA commented on this, am I to take it that this is an acceptable manoeuvre?
    :huh::huh::huh:

If there's room for her to pull out then the car behind should be overtaking anyway. So if she can do this; the car behind is presumably being an ()*%&^$

Slowing right down until the tailgater overtakes would be safer. If the tailgater matches speeds - then start thinking about heading for a town and a police station.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Bongles
    Bongles Posts: 248 Forumite
    Options
    No intention of putting myself in the wrong.

Did I misunderstand? I had in mind a situation on a 2 lane motorway where you're cruising along in lane 1 at 70 and you catch up with someone doing 60 and sat in lane 2 for no reason. Nothing wrong with continuing past them in lane 1 in that situation.
    However much other road users may irritate, I don't react aggressively.

Didn't mean to suggest you do anything aggressive.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shipshape, understood, no problem. No-one should assume that their speedo is 100% accurate, yours isn't, and neither is your sat nav, and that shouldn't matter anyway as you (anyone!) shouldn't be spending any more time outside the left-most lane than necessary.
    I just need to point out that if you're overtaking one car, and find that all of a sudden a car is stuck to your bumper, either that car was travelling EXTREMELY quickly (and you're at the speed limit) or maybe, just maybe, you pulled out in front of someone after misjudging their speed in your rear view mirror.
  • jase1
    jase1 Posts: 2,308 Forumite
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    :huh::huh::huh:

If there's room for her to pull out then the car behind should be overtaking anyway. So if she can do this; the car behind is presumably being an ()*%&^$

Slowing right down until the tailgater overtakes would be safer. If the tailgater matches speeds - then start thinking about heading for a town and a police station.

To be honest the following cars didn't seem all that close to me. Not textbook by any stretch but no worse than you see every day. The driver in the programme wasn't happy though.

That's fine, and let's assume for a second that the guy behind was being an idiot. I still have a hard time accepting that an appropriate thing to do in these circumstances is to gum up the overtaking lane when you aren't passing anyone.

Potentially you'll end up with two tailgaters on your case.

Best way to deal with someone too close in my experience is to ignore them (if you can't get out of their way) -- they get bored eventually. If you're feeling naughty, a quick squirt of the screenwash is usually enough to send the message.
  • jase1
    jase1 Posts: 2,308 Forumite
    Options
    Bongles wrote: »
    Did I misunderstand? I had in mind a situation on a 2 lane motorway where you're cruising along in lane 1 at 70 and you catch up with someone doing 60 and sat in lane 2 for no reason. Nothing wrong with continuing past them in lane 1 in that situation.

Thinking more about the situation where you overtake a bunch of slower vehicles behind someone, reach a gap in the road of 30 seconds or more, pull into the inside lane (for that is correct procedure) and the leading car sits in the right hand lane making no effort to pull back in, generally doing well under the limit.

It would be pretty aggressive to pass on the left in this instance.

Yeah, if you meet them just plodding along, ignoring them and continuing at your usual speed (whilst watching for twitches from the other driver all the while) might be a reasonable action depending on what else is happening. Certainly if it's a stream of slow cars on the right I have no problem with continuing on the left; the HC lists this as acceptable.
  • Bongles
    Options
    Thinking more about the situation where you overtake a bunch of slower vehicles behind someone, reach a gap in the road of 30 seconds or more, pull into the inside lane (for that is correct procedure) and the leading car sits in the right hand lane making no effort to pull back in, generally doing well under the limit.

It would be pretty aggressive to pass on the left in this instance.

Yeah I see. That is a little different to what I thought you meant. Agree moving left to pass is not the thing to do. Not sure you should feel any need to move left yourself in that situation though. You're perfectly justified in your position in the overtaking lane waiting for them to get out of your way like they're supposed to. In that sort of situation I usually follow at a sensible, non-threatening distance, give them a headlamp flash to let them know I'm there, and thank them when I come past. Important to be careful with my following distance so as not to seem agressive or impatient, but then that's always imporant.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    edited 24 November 2011 at 8:20PM
    Options
    Bongles wrote: »

Didn't mean to suggest you do anything aggressive.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Oh boy oh boy, if you think that's correct and legal behaviour, (clue it's a no on both accounts), then you are the problem and not the solution.:eek::eek::eek:

You are right to think they shouldn't be there under those conditions but you action is so far of the mark as to be incredulous.

They are/weren't in a queue of slower traffic therefore there is no reason/right/excuse to OVERTAKE on the left, dear oh dear 52.gif52.gif52.gif

Would I do it, well yes I have done, but I bloody well know I'm in the wrong if I do
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Bongles
    Options
    if you think that's correct and legal behaviour

Of course I do. Interested to know why you think it's incorrect compared to the alternative of slowing down and waiting indefinitely for them to move left. Even more intrigued as to how you make out that it's illegal. (Clue - it's not :)).
    then you are the problem and not the solution.

I'm not sure what problem would be caused by not choosing the option of joining them to form a rolling road block?
    but I bloody well know I'm in the wrong if I do

Fear not. You are mistaken :).
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bongles, I can't quote a law stating that it's illegal, but the Highway Code definitely states that you must not overtake on the left, unless there is a queue of slow moving traffic in the outside lane.
    I will generally wait a while, flash, wait a while, then overtake on the inside. No aggression though. If you want to follow the Highway Code though, you'll sit behind indefinitely and wait for them to move, and maybe 'make the other driver aware of your presence' ie, flash, or use the horn.
  • lindopski_2
    Options
    The most flaunted speed limit in the UK is the 30 limit.
    every driver 'knows best' and 40 will suffice for most of the 30 limits.
    I drive at 30 in the 30 limits - I am sure someone will tell me that my speedo is out and sat navs are better and 10% and blahblah like on every other speeding debate.
    the true fact of the matter is we are a selfish race, and me is the most important, and me is in a hurry and you are making me late as me didnt get up/out in time. this means that me has to drive at 40 in all the 30's - heck 45 to 50 if me can get away with it in some as well.
    me is not bothered and will posture on forums as me knows best and when me runs over the toddler that ran out the gate whilst mum wasnt looking me is totally not at fault even though me hit him at 45 in the 30 limit.
    me will be traumatised for life and require sympathy for me by numerous professionals.
    humans - not the most pleasant mammal I can think of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure