speed limits

Options

Comments

• Bongles
    Bongles Posts: 248 Forumite
    Options
    jase1 wrote: »
    when there is someone hogging the outer lane of a 2-lane motorway, well under the speed limit, I will happily wait in the inside lane matching their speed a couple of seconds behind

Any reason you wouldn't just continue past in lane 1?
  • Bongles
    Bongles Posts: 248 Forumite
    Options
    but you might not be doing the legal limit. You could be doing 60 with your speedo out and he's wanting to do 70 but you're in his way and trundling along.

That would be no justification for dangerous or aggressive tailgating, nor a reason to expect SHIPSHAPE to move over before he's finished overtaking.
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    Bongles wrote: »
    That would be no justification for dangerous or aggressive tailgating, nor a reason to expect SHIPSHAPE to move over before he's finished overtaking.

no, but if you're only doing 60mph because your speedo is out, you won't be speeding if you move faster to overtake them.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    The general rule is that if you can pull into the lane on your left and remain in that lane AT your current speed for more than 10 seconds, then you should move over.

What I don't condone is the "im doing the speed limit, therefore it's my job to sit in lane 3 and make everyone else drive at that speed". Because quite frankly, whilst I don't drive over 70 on the motorways myself, I would not blame someone for following said car into the nearest services and giving the driver a bloody nose.

Anyone who thinks they have the right to drive about acting all "plastic Policeman", deserves to be shot!!

I would never be in a road rage argument for long.
    I've got my toolkit with the crowbar on top behind the passenger seat ready for them.

(Having said that, it'll probably be with someone who "knows" my speedo reads low, even though it was reading 70mph I must be doing 60 etc.)
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nor me, I would hit them over the head with my keyboard!
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    No-one is suggesting you should.

However I have found a use for such drivers -- when there is someone hogging the outer lane of a 2-lane motorway, well under the speed limit, I will happily wait in the inside lane matching their speed a couple of seconds behind and take great pleasure in watching the neanderthal tailgater bully the lane-hog into submission, ready and waiting to follow on behind him when he's done his job. Pat on the head, "good dog" and on my way, leaving the hog fuming.

Absolutely nonsensical, Great pleasure? grow up.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    Lum wrote: »
    Nor me, I would hit them over the head with my keyboard!

You haven't seen the back of my car. I'd have a white van if I didn't need to ferry the kids about.
  • jase1
    jase1 Posts: 2,308 Forumite
    Options
    Bongles wrote: »
    Any reason you wouldn't just continue past in lane 1?

No intention of putting myself in the wrong.

However much other road users may irritate, I don't react aggressively. This does not extend to not allowing two idiots to cancel each other, however.

I may be more inclined to ignore people whose record is stuck.
  • jase1
    jase1 Posts: 2,308 Forumite
    Options
    There was an interesting case on that Channel 5 dodgy drivers programme tonight.

Unless it was a poor piece of editing, it appeared that on two occasions the woman obsessed with lowering speeds everywhere performed a very curious method of 'getting rid' of tailgaters.

She appeared to pull into the outside lane in an apparent effort to encourage the following car to pass her on the left. This was paired with her looking in the mirror, wanting the car out of her hair.

Given that neither the programme nor the AA commented on this, am I to take it that this is an acceptable manoeuvre?
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    She appeared to pull into the outside lane in an apparent effort to encourage the following car to pass her on the left. This was paired with her looking in the mirror, wanting the car out of her hair.

Have not seen it, but I see poor drivers every day who appear to try to encourage or enrage other drivers into doing something "wrong", so that they can sit there kidding themselves into feeling like they're the best driver in the world.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure