IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

"Parking Notice Charge" UKCPS Ltd

Options
Hi Everyone, long time MSE reader but first time poster!

Yesterday whilst visiting a friends flat, I parked in his allocated parking spot in the block of flat's private car park (the block of flats has spaces allocated to residents and then unallocated spaces where a permit must be shown.) I did not display a permit badge as I assumed (probably wrongly) that as it was his designated spot & therefore the tenant has permission to grant parking in their spot.

On returning to my car I found that I had a "Parking Notice Charge" for £100 attached to the car, discounted to £60 if paid in 14 days. Having read the guidance on this site regarding private tickets, I am considering going for the keep quiet approach but have a few worries over this:

· Firstly, if I was to appeal do I have any valid grounds on which to appeal considering i was parked there with the residents consent?
· The charge states if it isn't paid within 28 days court action WILL be taken and I will be liable to pay Bailiff & court costs. Is this true & is it likely to be costly?
· The ticket has the incorrect colour for my car, could this be a little loophole to get out the charge or am I just being silly? :)
· Are UKCPS are reputable company or should i be wary at all?
Thank you in advance,

Ian

Comments

• Inflatable_Armadillo
    Options
    ian1985 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, long time MSE reader but first time poster!

Yesterday whilst visiting a friends flat, I parked in his allocated parking spot in the block of flat's private car park (the block of flats has spaces allocated to residents and then unallocated spaces where a permit must be shown.) I did not display a permit badge as I assumed (probably wrongly) that as it was his designated spot & therefore the tenant has permission to grant parking in their spot.

On returning to my car I found that I had a "Parking Notice Charge" for £100 attached to the car, discounted to £60 if paid in 14 days. Having read the guidance on this site regarding private tickets, I am considering going for the keep quiet approach but have a few worries over this:

· Firstly, if I was to appeal do I have any valid grounds on which to appeal considering i was parked there with the residents consent?
    · The charge states if it isn't paid within 28 days court action WILL be taken and I will be liable to pay Bailiff & court costs. Is this true & is it likely to be costly?
    · The ticket has the incorrect colour for my car, could this be a little loophole to get out the charge or am I just being silly? :)
    · Are UKCPS are reputable company or should i be wary at all?
    Thank you in advance,

Ian

First, UKCPS are like every PPC... and not a very reputable company at all, they just want your money!

Second, there is no appeal process... they like to make you think there is one, but trust us, there isn't and your 'appeal' will always be rejected

Third, they are not going to take you to court, that is not how the scam works and cost them too much money... because they will probably lose!

You have read the advice, the advice is ignore them, do not contact them. Look at the 'threat-o-grams' you will receive from them in the post in the sticky thread and... get on with your life!
  • AlexisV
    AlexisV Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    Options
    Yesterday whilst visiting a friends flat, I parked in his allocated parking spot in the block of flat's private car park (the block of flats has spaces allocated to residents and then unallocated spaces where a permit must be shown.) I did not display a permit badge as I assumed (probably wrongly) that as it was his designated spot & therefore the tenant has permission to grant parking in their spot

It's quite likely your friend's flat's lease clearly states that he has the right to use the space. He probably doesn't even have to display a permit himself. Management companies often impose permit schemes that run roughshod over the tenant's established rights - they can't override the leases and are probably only legally allowed to offer their contract within communal areas.

Ignore UKCPS but get your friend to find out the exact wording of the lease about parking. If he's renting he probably will have to ask his landlord.
  • bondy_lad
    bondy_lad Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    you have absolutely nothing to worry about,, all thr threats are just to get your money off you,, they have no legal powers/back up,, do not lose any sleep do not contact, do not reply to threats you will recieve from them/debt collectors/solicitors,,its all a scam,,guess what,,,,ignore completely,,relax,chill,nothing can/will happen to you.remember ignore.
  • ian1985_2
    Options
    Thanks very much guys for you quick responses, will sleep a lot easier!

I noticed the links for UKCPS letters on the letters post (Private Parking Companies' Letters: What to Expect (add your own)) were broken, so I'll scan in and update if/when I get sent letters.

Thanks Again!
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    The loss suffered by the landholder is zero, therefore the most UKCPS can sue you for is zero.
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you look at a UKCPS screen invoice they are laughable as posted in the stickies why anyone would not question them is beyond me. I personally love section 7 The police must not discourge their officer from paying and their appeal must be on "Police headed paper":rotfl: Their whole invoice if you read the various sections is repetitive and nonsensical.

You would think if they wanted to be taken seriously they would at least get the screen invoice right.
  • k3ls3yp
    Options
    Hi Ian,

How have you got on with this? I got issued a ticket late last night, so just curious.

Thanks
  • perris
    Options
    Hello,

Am new to this site just registered today and have seen some post here but they seems long time ago... I went Temping with my wife and suprisingly when we finished to get to our car we got a ticket from this company call UKCPS reason for the ticket was ( out of a marked bay) can any one please advice me on what to do please ......
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Can you please create your own dedicated thread below, this is a seriously out of date thread that has information that has changed
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You will need to give much more detail than you've so far given. The main thing is to start a new thread as this one is old and the advice is likely to get a bit mixed up.

Not sure what you mean by 'Temping' with the wife? It's not a variant of [STRIKE]d*gging[/STRIKE] something else, is it? :)
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport