We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Lulabelle's MFW Diary

Options

Comments

• lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've picked a few funds (5) and have so far bought the same funds for the boys JISA and my S&S ISA..... I don't have any plans to take anything from my S&S ISA, I was thinking about my cash Isa which doesn't seem to do much! :)
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Well, what a lovely (and quiet) Christmas.....

The last few days have been spent being super lazy! We've watched lots of films, played games, gone for walks and generally enjoyed each others company.

I'm now full of cold so feeling a bit fed up, but I suppose it's the time of year for it.

I decided I needed to make an OP - couldn't settle! And, I wanted it to be done before the end of the year. For my own records (if I ever read back!!), the balance before the OP stands at 130,956.

Rather than making monthly OP's DH and I and each going to pay in to a Reg Saves account and then (depending upon how things are) make a lump sum OP at the following year.

Part of me misses having the flexibility to take back OP's - we lost this when we switched to the 10 year fix. BUT I like the security of the 10 year fix - just really need to make sure that we stay on track to have it paid off BEFORE the 10 years is up

I've spent some time reviewing the various savings accounts just now and have switched some of them around to make sure those with the higher interest rates are applied to the accounts where the money is likely to be sitting for the longest - not a vast amount in any of them - but they're accounts for things like holidays, pet self insurance, self assessment, annual bills/Christmas etc etc.

All good fun and I enjoy a little shuffle :)

Oh and the M&S Christmas lunch food was a bit naff - much nicer if prepped from scratch yourself, but it did mean that I spent pretty much zero time in the kitchen which was lovely.
  • HelenDaveKids
    Options
    can't beat a bit of films recharge time..
    Morgage till Nov 30 GOAL MFW Sept 2016
    Aug 11 - £100k Aug 2016.... It's GONE!!!!!
    2014 GOAL HIT 5 Stone! 2016 GOAL to be a MF marathon runner.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are definitely making your money work hard for you. We too have had 5 days of quality family time. All ends with me going back to work tomorrow but we do have a long weekend to look forward to.
    June 2024 - part 1 - £28,832 part 2 - £24,400 Total - £53,233 41 months to go!
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Off to see Star Wars after lunch - DH & I both used our Meercat movies to get 2 for 1, so ended up costing £23 instead of £46. Still seems expensive to me.... £46 for a family to see a film is ludicrous IMO, how many people can really afford to do that?

Checked TCB - total is up to £45.49 - which is still being saved for next Christmas.

Updated the supermarket spends and December is now up to £718! (there are some Christmas gifts included in that and things like socks, pants for the boys etc - basically it's everything spent at the supermarket - still a small fortune).
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Quiet family Christmas time is now over and we're expecting the arrival of some family tomorrow for a few days.

So, my ham is in the oven.. Cooking away until tomorrow! (Courtesy of nigella.. Bought her latest book from Amazon for £5 ish). Also going to do her roasted potatoes/peppers, tray baked veg and coleslaw. And, I'm in the middle of my first ever trifle. 40 years old and only just doing a trifle, lol.

food shop again today, so the total for the month is going to be huge.

Planning to take Christmas down on Saturday afternoon once family have left. I've enjoyed having the deccies up this year and for the first time ever am reluctant to pack it all away:(

Just reserved Rapidough at Argos (25% off) for collection tomorrow. Figured it would be a good game for he whole family to play over the next few days. Heard good reports.

Home made pizza tonight for dinner, yum x
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Happy New Year!

New Years family gathering was nice... though i think I spent most of my time in caught up in a cycle of cooking, cleaning, tidying. Hey Ho. Lovely to have people around though.

Supermarket spends for December was beyond a joke, daren't even list it here. But it's on my spreadsheet so won't be able to avoid seeing it - it can serve as an awful reminder to me for the rest of the year!

I haven't bought anything in the sales. I think that's a first. Neither has DH.

The children have spent a bit of their Christmas money on a toy each and the rest has been popped in their savings accounts.

DH is currently shoe shopping with DS2 - his feet have grown and he needs some new school shoes. Theres always something!!!!
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Shoes purchased and with 25% discount too - which is substantial! Kids shoes are Soooooooo expensive!

On the down side - DH is now food shopping again. I dread to think how much will be spent. I shall make sure I'm in the kitchen to unpack when he gets back so that I can look out for any silly expensive purchases!
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    I've been having a quick read of some of the diaries and the various reflections.. it's made me ponder our 2015..

We'd managed to get the mortgage well below the 100k mark at the end of 2014. I daren't even check back for the exact figure as I know it'll make me feel a bit sick, but on the upside:
    -we invested in to our first B2L with a 30% deposit and funded all of the associated expenses
    -we extended the house and had a new kitchen installed
    -we completely made over the rest of the downstairs - redecorated, new furniture etc
    -we swapped the family car for a newer/larger model

So, whilst I'm feeling quite sick at the fact that the mortgage is currently standing at £125k, I'm really delighted with how we used the OP's and saves.

2016 will be a much more frugal year. I'd very much like to build up the savings again and get in to the swing of OP's (although this will be done via monthly contributions in to Reg Saves accounts and then hopefully a payment at the end of the year).

Lets see
  • ajmoney
    ajmoney Posts: 6,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What I love about this board is the different ways everyone uses to achieve their goals and how we all move between different plans, savings, OPs etc. You have done it before and you will do it again x :D
    MFW 2024 No. 7 £600/£1200 MFiT-T6 No. 70 £15893.61/£22787.04
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport