Lulabelle's MFW Diary

Options

Comments

• lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It often feels one step forward then one back, we were MF before we moved then extended. Its all been worthwhile though.

Hi Helen, thanks for popping in :)

You're right, we really love how the extension has changed our home. It's certainly removed the desire to move house which would have cost far more. I honestly can't imagine ever wanting to leave our lovely home now.

Just need to keep plodding on and try and get things paid off as soon as reasonably possible.

TCB now up to £89... planning to use this in Amazon gift cards to contribute towards DS1's Birthday/Christmas gifts. He loves to buy himself bits and pieces so an Amazon card would be perfect.

DS1's birthday organised and booked for March - he's going paint balling with some friends. DH and BIL are going too. All paid for. So just need to take some of the TCB in an Amazon card and a few gifts to open on the day and he's sorted :)

Supermarket spends are running at about £350, but DH off shopping today as the fridge and cupboard are very bare. Intrigued to see how we finish at for the month.

Still not been paid :(
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    And paid :)

Shuffling done and accounts replenished as I had to borrow from them to put towards the first instalment for the car. Next instalment due next January.

Supermarket spends stands at £495. Hopefully it shouldn't increase by much as we're stocked up and it's nearly the end of the month. If we were to get it under £500 I'd be amazed and totally delighted. It would certainly be something to aim for each month.

Currently debating booking a week in Portugal during Summer hols. Can get accommodation at no cost through client which would be amazing, just waiting for them to confirm.. then we'd need to book the flights (approx £1,000, I have £700 in holiday account currently) and a car rental. Hopefully they will confirm the accommodation soon before the flight prices go up!

We looked at some UK alternatives but for Summer holidays it actually worked out even more expensive. Madness. Assuming that this is the only holiday we have this year, we can continue to save in to the Jolly Holiday account and perhaps save towards a big holiday to America, although at the moment it really seems like a distant dream. Sigh.....
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Nothing to tidy today! (money wise)
    TCB - still the same, not more confirmed payments yet.
    HM chicken curry for dinner, yum. Mac Cheese for the kids..again, HM. Hopefully they like it.

No spends but donated to Sport relief whilst watching the bake off last night.

Still waiting confirmation of accommodation in Portugal so no flight booking just yet. May have looked at USA flights earlier...
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    94p TT :)

TCB still at £89. Not likely to increase anytime soon as I'm trying not to spend any money.

Still haven't booked Portugal flights as waiting on accommodation.

Feeling exhausted. DS1's Diabetes is quite up and down at the moment so lots of checking in the night to keep control of his blood sugar.

Roll on the weekend :T
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Supermarket spends for Jan finished at £505.17

A massive improvement compared to the previous 3 months. If I can keep them at the £500 mark, then I shall be a very happy lady and within budget!

TCB - now up to £91.90. Nice knowing that DS1's birthday present is covered without needing to spend any money.

Tidies are up to a grand total of £7.33.

Off on my big work trip on Sunday and currently spending too much time debating what on earth to pack. I'm away for one week and will visit two countries - one of which will be steaming hot but very wet and another which will be much cooler. With only a carry on case it's proving tricky. (I've got quite a lot of flights over the week and I hate checking a case in)

Going for a long quick walk at lunch time today - need to start exercising again and also need to get out of my office at home... Although I did escape yesterday as went to get my hair cut/coloured. (My BFF's daughter does it for me at home :) She works in a fab salon and I went there to get it done for ages, but she's happy to do it for me at home and saves me a fair bit, so all good).
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Decided I was due an energy switch.. Should make a reasonable saving, plus £32 ish via TCB for the switch :)
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Well done on keeping the supermarket spending down. I know from experience that it isn't just food that sneaks into that trolley! This year I am measuring wine separately!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Well done on keeping the supermarket spending down. I know from experience that it isn't just food that sneaks into that trolley! This year I am measuring wine separately!

You're absolutely right! My supermarket spends include everything - such as any alcohol, birthday cards, toiletries, cleaning stuff, cat food, birthday presents for kids parties etc. DH and I both tend to work from home too most of the time, so it also includes everything for our lunches - so I'm quite pleased with it really. :T
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done on reducing food spends, it's one of the few areas we have control over! Summer holiday sounds fab, we typically spend £1000 on a week away in the UK so should take the plunge and venture abroad. Hope DS's blood sugars stabilise. You soon become expert following a diagnosis don't you.

Thanks for your input on my diary too, been very helpful during a stressful time!
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hope you're having a good trip :)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure