Lulabelle's MFW Diary

Options

Comments

• lulabelle1
    Options
    lulabelle1 wrote: »
    Picked up a couple of share tips yesterday and googling around a bit - so have shifted some money from my pittance paying Cash ISA in to my S&S Isa and bought some shares. I'm sure to have given it the kiss of death in doing so, but I have my fingers crossed that it wasn't a bad decision!

As expected, I gave those shares the kiss of death :(
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    lulabelle1 wrote: »
    As expected, I gave those shares the kiss of death :(
    If it was really that easy to pick winning shares we would all be rich! Anyway, you haven't lost a penny unless you sell.

In future don't dabble in individual shares - stick to low cost Vanguard trackers, bu them and forget about them. Listen to GG, you know she talks sense :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • lulabelle1
    lulabelle1 Posts: 2,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    If it was really that easy to pick winning shares we would all be rich! Anyway, you haven't lost a penny unless you sell.

In future don't dabble in individual shares - stick to low cost Vanguard trackers, bu them and forget about them. Listen to GG, you know she talks sense :rotfl:.

You're absolutely right.... much prefer just investing in to the funds... need to learn to forget about them though!!!
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Heck, 9 months since last post, where did that time go?

So, what to update and where to start?

We had an amazing family holiday over Easter. it was truly fantastic, a tad indulgent, but we had a brilliant time together as a family and the memories will stay with us forever. Can't wait to plan the next one.

SIPP - seems to be going well, I've switched just about everything to VLS 80 and have a bit in a 100% equity world tracker too. The same funds are also in the children's JISA's and my S&S ISA - which I've also been making contributions to.

Mortgage - now down to 102,000. We have around 8 years of a 10 year fix left and we're aiming to have it paid off before the fix runs out.

Unless we move...

B2L - still just the one. Ticking along nicely. Our original tenants moved out a few months ago (they decided to buy) and the whole finding new tenants thing went smoothly (thank goodness) and wasn't actually that expensive either. They seem lovely, an older couple, so hopefully they'll be happy there for a while. The value of the property seems to have increased significantly but we have no plans to sell it. If anything, we'd still like to invest in another at some point in the future, but the prices seem to high currently.

Property plans - DH is considering purchasing a fixer upper - we'll then aim to sell it on for a small profit, or potentially it could become another B2L depending on the market at the time. I'm all for it and more than happy to support him, so I guess this will be our next little venture. Full of pros and cons, but we'd like to give it a try.

Lula x
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Lula,

Good to see you, have missed your updates. Holiday sounds fab, the children are only small for such a short time and those memories are so important. Earthgirl said something about banking memories on her diary which got me thinking. We went abroad as a family for the first time in May and have booked two more holidays!

You're powering through the mortgage and you'll soon be sub 100k. Must be a great feeling knowing it will be paid off by the end of your fix.
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    CathT wrote: »
    Hi Lula,

Good to see you, have missed your updates. Holiday sounds fab, the children are only small for such a short time and those memories are so important. Earthgirl said something about banking memories on her diary which got me thinking. We went abroad as a family for the first time in May and have booked two more holidays!

You're powering through the mortgage and you'll soon be sub 100k. Must be a great feeling knowing it will be paid off by the end of your fix.

Thanks Cath! You're spot on with the children/holidays - so important to take every opportunity with we can to build those wonderful memories. Memory bank is as important as the money bank :)
    Hope all is good with you, off to check out your latest.... x
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    So.... we've gone and got ourselves a lovely Cockapoo pup. Children are thrilled and DH and I are totally smitten. I'm amazed at how smart she is and didn't realise it was possible to feel this way about a dog in a few days. She's not very MSE at all and we've already spent a small fortune on supplies. Pet insurance is next on the list (we got 30 days free with her)....

Another OP made to mortgage, we've now pretty much maxed out our 10% limit for the year ending Jul17. Now stands at £100,300 ish, so we'll break the 100k mark at the beginning of August, which feels great.

We've no plans for the school summer holidays at the moment and with a new puppy, I guess our options will be fairly limited. Will be pleased when the injections are all done and then we can get out and about with her. Very much looking forward to taking her for her walk (and not having to carry her).
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    Puppy is doing well and is now sleeping through the night - bit like having a baby again but furrier.

Pet insurance sorted - John Lewis via TCB. Vets for Pets for injections. All seemed to have best rates.

Spent too much on dog toys and paraphernalia (to be expected).

We can't walk her yet (injections) but have been introducing her to as many people as possible. She's been on lots of school runs, a trip to Beavers, various neighbours, the Travis Perkis delivery man and the dustbin man and truck. She does a little wee when she gets excited, lol!

DH is currently building some decking in the bottom corner of the garden - will have the table and chairs there - catches the sun lovely in the morning (morning coffee spot) and for most of the day. Should hopefully be finished for the weekend.

Busy rest of the week with work and looking forward to the weekend already.

:)
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    New puppy sounds lovely :) we got two kittens back in april and it's amazing how quickly they become part of the family isn't it :)

Well done for pushing the £100k barrier- very inspiring I must say!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • lulabelle1
    Options
    New puppy sounds lovely :) we got two kittens back in april and it's amazing how quickly they become part of the family isn't it :)

Well done for pushing the £100k barrier- very inspiring I must say!

Thank you Kitten!

We had two kittens when we got our first house together - they were great fun! And, definitely part of the family. Our last remaining cat passed away earlier this year :(
    We decided to be pet free for a while, which was nice in lots of ways, but it's lovely to have a pet in the house again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure