Countdown to Freedom

Options

Comments

• pixnmix_2
    Options
    mamamags wrote: »
    The photo book for your children is a lovely idea. I made one for my DD on her 21st birthday starting from birth up to her 21st - I just bought an album and spent happy hours cutting and pasting in photos and captions. I shed a few tears and marvelled at how quickly the years had passed.
    One of her friends was over- heard saying at the party "I got a smart phone, jewellery and lots of cash for my 21st but I didn't get a birthday album and I want one" - I was very pleased as £ was tight and I couldn't give my DD anything very expensive, just oodles of my time and lots of my love!

That's lovely Mamamags. I did a similar thing for my daughter's 21st. As I have do scrapbooking and cardmaking for a hobby I had lots of bits n' bobs and made an album up. She loved it and it cost practically nothing but a little time. She's getting married next year so the next album is in progress.
  • pixnmix_2
    Options
    I think it's one of the things we learn from this site, the need vs want. My wants have moved from 'stuff' to things like elephant garlic to plant in the garden, or a beautiful book of pictures. I guess you could call that a want not a need, but a book of our own photos is a treasure trove of memories :). Next autumn (bear in mind I plan all day at work, so for me that's almost our Q1 FY14 :o, we are doing a PhotoBook for each of the kids, from day 1 through the key stages. Babies, crawling, toddling, walking, running, dancing, music, the list goes on. However, it will be just one book each, with an e version just in case anything happens to the original.

Tilly x x

That's a really good idea to do an e version Tilly. I might suggest scanning the pages of my DD's album into the computer, cos I'd hate anything to happen to the original (and she has a puppy so potentially it could get eaten!)
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Saw another article in the paper about research proving that having too much stuff clutters the mind as well as the home so you are gaining space, money and mental purity by ebaying!
    Agree completely

Tilly x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I also find it interesting how my wants and needs have changed over the years, like yourself Tilly I get satisfaction in things like elephant garlic :) mr el and I havn't bothered with anniversary or birthday presents for at least 10 years and valentines stopped long before that, but I had an interesting convo with his mother last week , she commented on how she has to go buy fil a card, I said " oh why " she reminded me it was valentines day ( yep it's that far off my radar now) I said" oh right I had forgotten " to which she replied " I wish we could forget, I watch you and mr el and you two really love each other, and yet never buy presents for each other, if I don't get a card or if fil doesn't get a card we get all upset, we were brought up to believe that your worth was what you were given, were slowly changing, but can't quite change completely"

I looked at her and felt slight sympathy and replied " that's a shame that you feel that way, for me a card is just a moment in time that costs money, mr el got up at 5am the other day and cleared the drive way of snow so that I could safely get the car in, to me that's love "

She looked at me and said " yes el that is love, and yet I've never been shown that kinda love"

We all change as we grow up, I think from the conversation I had with mil that day I realised once again how lucky and blessed I am ... Now to find the right kinda elephant garlic and treat myself :)
  • HelenDaveKids
    HelenDaveKids Posts: 3,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 19 February 2013 at 3:48PM
    Options
    I did each child a collage photo on reasonable sized canvas at christmas (for their bedrooms), spent ages trawling through all the old photos of them and then found a reasonable priced company on ebay, I emailed them to see if they'd do me a better price as wanted 4 in total, and they did me free delivery.
    The 4th one was for DH, his was all family shots, again through time.

Took ages but was really pleased with result and think was about £16 each so fairly reasonable.

The year before I did photo cups with their names on, did one for my dad too, with pictures of him asleep or pulling faces. On the down side, he doesnt use his "in case i break it" doh!

Agree with the want / need discussion. Its so difficult with kids at times but is an important lesson. Just been having a big debate (lasting weeks) with dd2 over twilight dvds, her big sister has them all, however she isnt very keen to share as dd2 quite a grubby urchin and doesnt always take the care she should, so don't completely disagree that she should lend if the sufficient respect isnt taken, so dd2 wanted her own set, seems absolutely bonkers to me, (hence debate lasting so long) but have finally given in, as its her christmas money and once its gone its gone....grrrrr

El thats lovely. We do buy presents for birthdays / christmas but set a tight limit, ie £20 - so DH got the photo canvas then a few tiny things then we buy a big family present, this year it was a tv. I spend the same on each child but their gifts are always bumped up by stuff they need (ie pants, socks, pygamas) rather than want.
    Morgage till Nov 30 GOAL MFW Sept 2016
    Aug 11 - £100k Aug 2016.... It's GONE!!!!!
    2014 GOAL HIT 5 Stone! 2016 GOAL to be a MF marathon runner.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Morning HDK, your collage canvas is a good idea - I didn't realise you could do those.

How about taking 'back up copies' of the DVDs for Dd2, would she think that was OK? I've no idea on whether that's legal or not, but if it's only to use at home it may solve the problem.

Best wishes Tilly
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Morning, one of the eb@y purchasers paid yesterday so item was posted late afternoon, thanks Mr T :)

Just one item to have collected and paid for now. Mr T is getting extremely irritated as it was clearly PayPal payment but collect in person. Mainly because you don't know whether the cash is real or not. A friend of ours in the police has told us repeatedly never to accept cash on collection, so now Mr T sticks to that rule religiously.

Breaking news: item has just pinged through as paid - good timing, Mr T will be delighted as it was expensive. I think they wanted to collect on Friday.

No pennies to OP.

I'm going to menu plan for March this Sunday afternoon. I'm hoping its a glorious day so we can take the hounds for a walky jog. You'll note that means I'm easing myself into running :)

I took some clothes to the charity shop yesterday and also read in the local paper that a food bank is asking for donations of winter clothes for men. I may be raiding Mr T's wardrobe perhaps.

We are living in a changing world with such inconsistencies and a welfare state which doesn't work. I had an interesting debate with a friend who is a vicar, over dinner last night, about the state of various countries in Europe and the differing approaches to welfare. It provoked some thoughtful discussions and I'll watch the approach to re-designing the UK welfare state with fresh eyes. It won't be an easy job :eek:

Right, I need to get a wriggle on, first call is at 8am, I have some ironing to do and I want to clean two bedrooms in between calls.

Have a good day, Tilly x x
  • misscousinitt
    Options
    Hi Tilly

Page 50 and counting...

Your diary has reminded me that I still need to sort out my chest freezer, get it defrosted and do a list of the contents. Never thought about doing the same for my cupboards too - I feel a sort out coming on.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    elantan wrote: »
    We all change as we grow up, I think from the conversation I had with mil that day I realised once again how lucky and blessed I am ... Now to find the right kinda elephant garlic and treat myself :)

El, don't know whether to cry-blow.gif or giggle.gif, and I too want some elephant garlic :rotfl:.
    I took some clothes to the charity shop yesterday and also read in the local paper that a food bank is asking for donations of winter clothes for men. I may be raiding Mr T's wardrobe perhaps.

I think if I donated some of Mr GG's they would rustle up a bag for us to take away with us :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Having just watched the OCD cleaners on channel 4, I now want to declutter absolutely everything.....

Squirrel,
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure