🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

A Thread for After Debt?

Options

Comments

• samtoby
    samtoby Posts: 2,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I am STILL smiling!
    3 Children - 2004 :heart2: 2014 :heart2: 2017 :heart2:
    Happily Married since 2016
  • QueenB.
    QueenB. Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :rotfl:Thank you Mort at least i can say that yhe lines around my eyes are laughter ones, not wrinkles:rotfl:

BIB :jgreat news on all your good luck. Enjoy your school trip tomorrow.

JulieG teething already:eek: I do not miss those days :D. My sister was born with a couple of teeth already through. My boys don't seem to be losing any of their baby teeth yet, at this rate they will still have some baby teeth when they turn 18:D

So I have decided on my march NSD target and I am off to try and arrange my spendy needs so that i can achieve it as I didn't quite manage to reach my target for Feb.

Have a great wednesday everyone.
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

Cross stitch Cafe member 81.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhh - having an :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: moment :o:o:o Have ordered the new phone :)

BUT I'm now having a guity / panicky moment - having heard so many others on here say something similar when they spend money - it's a classic former DFW panicking at spending money on a "non essential" / "treat" etc moment :o

I'm also worrying about the credit check - although I know it *shouldn't* be a problem:o

I did find quite a good deal with T-mobile (limited network choice as mentioned earlier & heeded the 3 warning;)).

I *think* I got a good deal (too late now, but):

• Phone (obviously:))
    • 200 mins
    • 500 texts
    • 750 mb data (only comparable deals only had 100mb)
    • free accessory pack: mains & in car chargers, bluetooth headset, leather case, screen protectors *worth* (said very tongue in cheek until I see it) £48
    • £300 cashback in redemption
    • £40 cashback through Quid*co;)
    • £21/month - but the cashback brings it down to an equivalent of £8.50 .....
    I am going to end up paying £10 for a Saturday delivery :( (it's next day free) but it's cheaper than either a) taking an unpaid day's leave from work or b) driving to the couriers depot to get it when I'm not in to sign for it (around a 80 mile round trip & about 3 hours)

:eek::eek::eek:
    *runs away to hide in case everyone thinks .... SUCKER!*
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • samtoby
    Options
    Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhh - having an :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: moment :o:o:o Have ordered the new phone :)

BUT I'm now having a guity / panicky moment - having heard so many others on here say something similar when they spend money - it's a classic former DFW panicking at spending money on a "non essential" / "treat" etc moment :o

I'm also worrying about the credit check - although I know it *shouldn't* be a problem:o

I did find quite a good deal with T-mobile (limited network choice as mentioned earlier & heeded the 3 warning;)).

• 200 mins
    • 500 texts
    • free accessory pack: mains & in car chargers, bluetooth headset, leather case, screen protectors *worth* (said very tongue in cheek until I see it) £48
    I am going to end up paying £10 for a Saturday delivery :( (it's next day free) but it's cheaper than either a) taking an unpaid day's leave from work or b) driving to the couriers depot to get it when I'm not in to sign for it (around a 80 mile round trip & about 3 hours)

This made me chuckle.....

But to be fair if you can't treat yourself to something small then you will feel even worse. I know we have not been the best but we are all trying.....I hope you pass the credit check (If I passed it I am sure you will lol) :j
  • SOT2011
    SOT2011 Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    Rising - reading that through it sounds as if you have done your research, checked all (or a reasonable number) of the options and gone for the cheapest option that still fulfils your requirements.

With those mins,texts and data you shouldn't end up going over, so you have known monthly costs, and at the price you have managed to find I would say it is worth it for the peace of mind of having a functioning phone without recharged every few hours :D

Sounds to me like the decision is a good one and made for the right reasons. If you weren't having a few doubts then you probably wouldn't have already been on your journey to debt freeness. Not sure all that helps but it is how I would have justified it to myself in the same position IYSWIM.

Now if you had arrived on here with the announcement that you had signed up for an expensive phone with a high initial outlay then I would probably be suggesting you might want to think a while longer. :rotfl:
    Debt Free since Nov 11 (ish) (except the £118000 mortgage :o) as at Jan 2013 but still hanging around DFW as I need to Stay On Track.

"My dad used to say, 'You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought about you if you knew how seldom they did'." Phil McGraw
  • QueenB.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

• 200 mins
    • 500 texts

:D so the temptation was to great to resist. As you know I am not very phone savvy:D but it sounds like a good deal and as samtoby said whats the point of being DF if we can't unexpectantly spend on something we want now and then (still loving my new lappy:D).

Think of all the money you will save on entertainment when you get it as you will spend hours just getting to grips with it and phoning/texting people;)
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

• samtoby
    Options
    A lot of told me that T Mob are not that good but I have had no problems. Thumbs up. x
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    QueenB yes teething already! DS is loosing his teeth really slow too (hasnt lost any in 18 months)!

Rising that's a really good offer, and as long as you claim the cashback you're laughing :)

So today I got more amazing charity shop bargains (last week I got 3 amazing baby dresses for £3) well today i got Eliza a lovely cardi, 3 tops and a pair of jeans for £1 and a big story book for 25p in one shop. in the other i got 3 free scalfs and 4 books for both children for 50p total. DS got 4 ps2 games for £1 and got so excited she gave him a dvd/book set free :)

And i sewed my pillows. Not bad at all... especially considering its been 16 years...

DH last day at work today (he starts his new job monday) so we had steak and chips with wine to celebrate... and ds had sausages (by choice) and ate in his room to give us alone time. Hes watching a dvd... and we're going to watch 'letters to juliette' which is the best movie ever!

Best of all, the steak was a gift from MIL (m&s serlion) so i was frugal... and i never have wine, so im being irresponsible too (DH isn't drinking though) :)

Hope everyone has a great evening x
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Thanks all .... feeling *slightly* calmer now.:o

I still find the whole "taking on credit" (of any kind) totally terrifying - wonder if that will ever go?

I did def need a new one so ...... :) and £8.50 equivalent is probably less than I usually spend in top-ups (obviously less recently as it's not working).

I've had the order successful / network accepted email so think the credit check's been OK?

I will def be claiming the cashback! I have a "financial calander" next to the "financial noticeboard" (notice a pattern here?;)) so will be marking the dates on as soon as everything arrives so I don't forget.

I've decided that when I get the cashback payments through, I'm going to try to squirrel these away into my "last resort" emergency fund account:)

JG Well done on the CS bargains - that's fantastic:j The ones around here are terrible .... £3.50 for a book:eek: and your dinner sounds scrumptious (just realised the time!)
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • QueenB.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    QueenB yes teething already! DS is loosing his teeth really slow too (hasnt lost any in 18 months)!

Rising that's a really good offer, and as long as you claim the cashback you're laughing :)

So today I got more amazing charity shop bargains (last week I got 3 amazing baby dresses for £3) well today i got Eliza a lovely cardi, 3 tops and a pair of jeans for £1 and a big story book for 25p in one shop. in the other i got 3 free scalfs and 4 books for both children for 50p total. DS got 4 ps2 games for £1 and got so excited she gave him a dvd/book set free :)

And i sewed my pillows. Not bad at all... especially considering its been 16 years...

DH last day at work today (he starts his new job monday) so we had steak and chips with wine to celebrate... and ds had sausages (by choice) and ate in his room to give us alone time. Hes watching a dvd... and we're going to watch 'letters to juliette' which is the best movie ever!

Best of all, the steak was a gift from MIL (m&s serlion) so i was frugal... and i never have wine, so im being irresponsible too (DH isn't drinking though) :)

Hope everyone has a great evening x

Great bargains. Some of my CS can be extremely expensive. I was in one the other day and paperback book where around £3 upwards and the average adult clothing can cost around £4/5 a top. Though I do find the kiddies clothes and books are alot cheaper. But these prices tend to be in the more well known CS. Whereas the other week I managed to pick up the megablocks black pearl pirate ship with only one small piece missing for only £2.50. Even had the parrot and swords and all the sails so a great bargain. I often argue with myself (a bad habit I know:D) that I could get a brand new top for £5 or under but then i think of the environmental benefits. It really depends on the item and how much i want/need it.

I hope your DH has a good first day and I have to admitt I really like that film aswell:o

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family