A Thread for After Debt?

Options

Comments

• samtoby
    samtoby Posts: 2,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I was 18 when I fell pregnant with Toby. Had him when I was 19. But I was a young 19.

I remember that time so well. It was such a great time, but so bad. Tobys birth was quite stressful as it was so fast and he was early never even got into a proper unit I had him on a bed in a ward! My labour was so quick and I was like a rabbit in the headlights!

I wasn't spoken to by my grandparents, it was pretty limited to my mother and friends until I had Toby, it all changed when they saw him. I had only been with his dad a few months but we remained together for years, on and off towards the end. And in so much debt. Took 4 years after selling our property to clear the lot. But I have DONE IT!

So I am now 27 next month and aiming to have my own home at the end of the year. That will be the start of my life with Toby with out needing anyone. Toby and I are so close, feel like I always had him around to spend time with and enjoy his company even when I had no money.

x
    3 Children - 2004 :heart2: 2014 :heart2: 2017 :heart2:
    Happily Married since 2016
  • QueenB.
    QueenB. Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone.

Re the headaches and carbon monoxide monitor, i was looking at all possibilities, I am feeling better today, just fuzzy headed but so far no actual dizziness. This is when the internet becomes a problem as you type in all the symptoms and a list of scary possibilities comes up:o. Can't always get a doc appointment on the same day, to do that you have call between 8 and 9 which as JulieG says really doesn't fit in with the school run. I haven't managed to get one yet, and DS1has one on Friday otherwise it would be a couple of weeks:(

All this gadget talk is making me feel so old and I'm only 35:( I just have no interest in gadgets at all, I don't download, I only just got a flatscreen TV, I read books and buy CDs, I still rent DVDs from a local shop and use my home phone more than my mobile:o Im also quite sensitive to the humming that comes from Computers, Tvs and electrical items (could be another reason for the headaches, the new TV hums much more than my old one).

Samtoby Sorry to hear you are so stressed at the moment I hope you find some time to relax and recentre yourself (((hugs))).

As I feel a bit better today I will be trying to catch up on some housework and then have LO for lunch but I'm going to take it slow as I don't want to rush and make myself worse healthwise. Later I will be checking if there are any pennies which need to be transferred and there is some paperwork to go through. Would you class spending CC voucers as a spend? I'm thinking not, I am taking DS1 to Legoland for his birthday and will be using CC voucers to get the tickets. I want to order them today but its meant to be a NSD.

Have a great Tuesday everyone:)
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

Cross stitch Cafe member 81.
  • backinbusiness
    Options
    Arrrrrrrrrrghh - I am the oldest!!
    DF :grin:
  • samtoby
    Options
    Not everyone has said yet!
  • QueenB.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BIB as samtoby said not everyone has replied and i do think age is just a number, some days i feel like i'm 18 and then other days i feel 60:eek: I have been going grey since my mid 20's and seem to have a new wrinkle every day:(. The last 10 years seem to have flown by and that worries me more then my actual age.
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

• QueenB.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have any of you read the yahoo article by Martin on credit cards? He is explaining the positives of having a CC and using it wisely, all stuff we all know (though i still don't feel ready to have one). The main reason I mentioned it is because I read the comments afterwards and many really shocked me:eek: really rude and many seemed to have missed the main point of the article, some people just don't have an edit button:(

• rising_from_the_ashes
    rising_from_the_ashes Posts: 12,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 28 February 2012 at 5:57PM
    Options
    SOT2011 wrote: »
    A friend of mine celebrated his "30 plus ten" birthday a couple of weeks ago

Like that one .... think I'll have to borrow it!:D

I must admit it's not bothering me as much (yet!) as the approach of the big 30 .... I was sooooo depressed for about 3 months before that and it felt like life was coming to an end ..... the day it happened, everything was (of course) fine and it didn't bother me at all from them!:o
    I tend to check my emails a couple of times a day on it, pop on facebook and I might have a browse of the internet, BBC news, metoffice, this forum and my OU module at lunchtime, and have a look at a few things when I'm out and about at the weekend like maps or similar etc and I have been under 300 MB each month for the last few months.

Fantastic, thanks SOT :D - that's probably about similar to me and I would also download most stuff at home too so 500mb should be fine!:j

I've actually found one that works out at £6.42/month:j http://www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/brands/samsung/galaxy-ace/#payg it's £15.50 but you get redemption every few months which brings the cost down hugely ... I guess they hope you'll forget to do it (not us MSErs!) - there's no internet allowance so a bit more hunting around needed

Only problem I've yet to solve is how to get it delivered (not allowed them at work) so need to look into this more tonight.

I had been thinking I should maybe hang off (Big R thoughts again) but tbh it could be months before I know if I'm really safe or not so .....
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • samtoby
    Options
    QueenB. wrote: »
    Have any of you read the yahoo article by Martin on credit cards? He is explaining the positives of having a CC and using it wisely, all stuff we all know (though i still don't feel ready to have one). The main reason I mentioned it is because I read the comments afterwards and many really shocked me:eek: really rude and many seemed to have missed the main point of the article, some people just don't have an edit button:(

There are deffinatly reasons to have a credit card....but I think sadly I lost the realisation of what the reasons were when I was spending :eek: £18k!
  • SOT2011
    SOT2011 Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    :j:j my fruity phone has survived its swim :j:j

I've backed it all up straight away in case it is temporary but I am definitely hopeful :D

Means I have to stop ogling android phones for a while. Good luck with your options research Rising

Just read that article. Stopped after reading just a few comments. I can understand that some people have been there and got it wrong and don't want to go there again, but there is no need for the awful comments.

I have a cc I use for petrol and food through the month, leaving the budget to one side to pay off in full and I do use it for any other purchases to get the protection. As long as I spend £300 a month on it they give me a fiver each month which seems a fair deal, though I do have to be very careful that I don't use it without thinking on extras.

SOT x
    Debt Free since Nov 11 (ish) (except the £118000 mortgage :o) as at Jan 2013 but still hanging around DFW as I need to Stay On Track.

"My dad used to say, 'You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought about you if you knew how seldom they did'." Phil McGraw
  • samtoby
    Options

I have a cc I use for petrol and food through the month, leaving the budget to one side to pay off in full and I do use it for any other purchases to get the protection. As long as I spend £300 a month on it they give me a fiver each month which seems a fair deal, though I do have to be very careful that I don't use it without thinking on extras.

I still have one credit card, MBNA :o

But sadly I do not have the strenth to use it. I just know I am not strong enough yet. :(

But glad I recognise this. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills