A Thread for After Debt?

Options

Comments

• QueenB.
    QueenB. Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I needed a new phone phone last year. I had never brought one before, always just had hand me downs which lasted years. For awhile I did consider a fruity type phone but only because everything seems to be aimed at them and it really does seem that unless you have one or internet access you become more isolated in society. However i am not techie and all those apps and so on just confused me:o I ended up getting a cheap phone, I think it should have cost about £60 but used some of my clubcard vouchers which paid for it all. I can ring with it and text and to be tbh thats all i need it for.

Rising your mortgage situation got me thinking about my rent situation. I pay my rent weekly by DD and this has meant that for the last few years I have managed to keep my rent stable and avoid rises. This is because I always used to overpay by a few pounds (to make it a rounded number:o) and there is one week (or two) a year when you don't pay rent but the DD still goes out so by April I am always at least two weeks in credit. I divide this between my weekly payments and this means I have not had to up my DD for a few years......did that all make sense? In fact this year I have been able to reduce my DD. Thats my positive for today.

Im still feeling a bit rotten and think I may go to the Docs about this constant headache and dizziness as its becoming quite a problem now:(
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

Cross stitch Cafe member 81.
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    I wish I had a positive...

DH work just announced that the bonus was overpaid... by 40%!!!!

They want it back!!!

Then I accidently turned up to my drs appointment to find out I am half an hour early... and the dr is half an hour late... so I've an hours wait! i have ironing at home...!

One of the dummies I bought is faulty and I cant get a refund unless I go back to store... I dont live close and have no car, so need to contact the manufaturer!

And I gained weight this week too...

Oh well... Eliza is here for a cuddle... that's my positive :)
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • QueenB.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    40% :eek: are they going to set up a repayment scheme?

My Doc is always running late and hes not actually very good, really I need to look around for another one but this one is within walking distance and as I don't drive that is important.

Eliza cuddles are a HUGE positive, I loved cuddling mine so much that I hated to put them down or hand them to anyone else:o
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

• JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    They are taking it out of the next pay packet... only DH won't have another pay packet. So not sure what they are going to do...

I was called in 20 minutes ago... but eliza was feeding, so she took another patient and im still waiting... but Eliza is asleep so it'll be easier for me.

I love cuddles...
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
  • Poosmate
    Poosmate Posts: 3,126 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, I'm a long way off my DFD, it was 10 years to be debt and mortgage free but its going to be more like 11 now.

I am so looking forward to becoming debt free but I am worried about life after debt. Even with it being so many years away I still feel that I won't have lost the urge to splash out occasionally or more worryingly, allow spending to creep up. A splash you can mop up and chastise yourself for being silly but the creep is much more worrying as it's so much more difficult to re-adjust your spending down (I feel).

So my plan is to continue to pay my debts until paid off. The month following my last debt payment I will set up a DD for that amount to be paid towards my mortgage so my finances will remain unchanged - I don't want my debt money to be "spare" for even one month as I don't want to get used to it then not be able to do without it.

The month after my mortgage is paid off I shall set up a DD, which will include debt payment and mortgage payment, into a savings account. This means I should be able to save around £500-£600 per month.

Some may think "Slam Dunk! Way to go!!" BUT whilst I'm paying off my debts and mortgage, very little is getting done about the house - emergency repairs only. So the first few years after being debt and mortgage free my savings will be spent on much needed house repairs/renovations.

After that, I intend to save up to buy a brand new car (not "brand new out the showroom" I mean one a few months old so I don't pay for the immediate depreciation). This car will take me well into retirement with hopefully not too many repair/MOT bills.

I intend to save until I retire so that I will have a nice little nest egg to top up my pensions and really allow me to relax and not have to worry about house/car repair bills.

Well, that's my long term plan and means that I will never really be debt free as I look upon the future expenses as virtual debts.

Sorry for long post and hope it makes sense.

Poo
    One of Mike's Mob, Street Found Money £1.66, Non Sealed Pot (5p,2p,1p)£6.82? (£0 banked), Online Opinions 5/50pts, Piggy points 15, Ipsos 3930pts (£25+), Valued Opinions £12.85, MutualPoints 1786, Slicethepie £0.12, Toluna 7870pts, DFD Computer says NO!
  • QueenB.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Welcome poosmate, it sounds like you have the right attitude and a good plan for the future. Don't worry, we all make slip ups when we become Df thats why so many of us find this place useful because it helps us stay on the straight and narrow so to speak.

JulieG I hope you got seen by the doc quickly. I get so frustrated by mine, You have to phone up in the morning to be seen and then the times fluctuate so waiting is always an issue.

I was just wondering if any of you had a carbon monoxide monitor?

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    QueenB. wrote: »
    I get so frustrated by mine, You have to phone up in the morning to be seen and then the times fluctuate so waiting is always an issue.

I was just wondering if any of you had a carbon monoxide monitor?

You can phone & get an appointment the same day?

Really? OMG it's about a 2 week wait here!

I have a CO2 detector ...... tbh can't say a lot about it as it's attached to the wall & I change the batteries every now & then (can do a weekly test to make sure it's OK).

It's never gone off / I've never had a problem ... but I do feel better having it there.

However, the one time I did have a gas problem (sk*y installer knocked the surround of the gas fire & managed to rupture the pipe:eek: - middle of summer so it was only in the evening once the doors were shut that I smelled the gas :eek::eek:) ... it didn't "do" anything which was a bit disappointing IMHO - not what they're designed for unfortunately.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    An hour and a half it took!

We can pre book afternoon appointments but the wait is 4 weeks and they never have any. Morning appointments are made on the day... call after 8am! Makes it hard for working around the school run.

We have a carbon monoxide monitor... not sure where I put it...

Do you think thats the cause of your headaches and dizzyness?

Eliza says hello x
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    QueenB if you think that may be the headache problem then phone the council and they will have to come & check the house immediately.

You can get wee patches at hardware stores for a couple £s which will give a really quick reading

9k=
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Mort
    Mort Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Poosmate. Love the plan, it's just about the same as mine. As well as the trepidation about falling of the DFW wagon.
    Proud to have dealt with my debts, became debt free on 03/11/2011. Repaid £54,723.41 LBM May 2006.
    Debt Free Roll Of Honour #504
    Mortgage Free from October 2019
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family