A Thread for After Debt?

Options

Comments

• JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    I pay £600 for a 2 bed unfurnished maisonette, but upstairs pay £750!!

Where we are moving to a 3 bed houses are £800 - £850 a month.

The mortgage we looked at was £869 a month! And that's a good rate!

I am so glad you said so... I really hope it's something i can use again and again... and Eliza will love :D
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    QueenB. wrote: »
    Big dreams, empty pockets:D is your mortgage only £280? thats great, my rent is around £400 pm and trying to rent even a one/two bedroom flat in this area is at least £600/£700 unfurnished pm:eek: we would need a three bed house so no chance of privately renting. But I have heard that a mortgage can be cheaper pm than renting but i guess the problem is not the payments but actually getting the mortgage in the first place.

Ohhhh me too .... if I had the money I'd live in a field in the middle of nowhere (literally) and be more than happy.

I loved my old house as it was on a farm with only one house either side *sigh* - where I am is lovely and I'm very lucky but it just seems so .... busy (goodness knows how I ever managed to live in the city for so long).

My mortgage is less than 1/2 what my old house now costs to rent .... I was very lucky to be able to get this place as otherwise I'd have been stuck renting forever (I'd never have been able to clear the debts and save anything if I'd still been paying that much each month).

It's silly really as if you've proved you can pay rent for a significant time and your mortgage will be less .... but this doesn't seem to count at all unfortunately.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    It's silly really as if you've proved you can pay rent for a significant time and your mortgage will be less .... but this doesn't seem to count at all unfortunately.

Completly agree! I've paid rent for 12 years now... never missed a payment and if I can afford £800-£850 I can afford £869!!!
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
  • SOT2011
    SOT2011 Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    Oooh I wish my mortgage was only £280.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it. When I sold my first house after being there 10 years I should have stuck at something about the same value, in which case there would only be 8 years left to pay, but of course we (ex-OH & I) didn't and we went for close to the max we could borrow from a standard lender and took it back up to 25 years again (we could have borrowed loads more if we had gone down the self certified route which was available at that time - so glad we didn't, it could be so much worse I suppose) but my mortgage atm is £710 :eek:

I was determined not to increase the term any further than the absolute minimum that they would accept me for the TofE for - so 22 years, but it does mean that it is a big chunk of my salary each month.

I am managing at the moment, but if it gets to be too hard I am going to have to look at either moving to somewhere smaller, or somewhere cheaper, or extending the term to give myself a bit of extra leeway.

I wish I had more of easilyamused's outlook on gadgets etc, but I dropped my "fruit based phone" in the sink this morning :eek::eek::eek::eek:

It felt awful. It was pulled straight out, turned off, dried off and is now in a bag of rice drying out internally and I am reasonably hopeful that it will be ok, as it was in there for only a second at most, but I am finding it hard to force myself not to try it too soon, and it feels a little like I have had to leave a part of me in the other room. Having said that I don't have the fruit based tablet, and all the games consoles (all three of them) left with the ex-OH and I haven't missed them for a second.

I do agree that saving up is a great way to make you appreciate things more, I am harbouring a growing desire for a Kindle - the more I hear the more I think it would be perfect for me - but I need to come up with a cunning plan to "earn" it for myself.......

SOT x
    Debt Free since Nov 11 (ish) (except the £118000 mortgage :o) as at Jan 2013 but still hanging around DFW as I need to Stay On Track.

"My dad used to say, 'You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought about you if you knew how seldom they did'." Phil McGraw
  • SOT2011
    Options
    Eventually I want to live in the middle of nowhere too....that is part of the reason I am putting myself under a fair bit of pressure financially in the hope that it will mean I can afford somewhere a bit in the sticks with some land for growing veg and fruit and maybe even to have some chickens at some stage, hopefully before I am too old to make the most of it...

SOT x
    Debt Free since Nov 11 (ish) (except the £118000 mortgage :o) as at Jan 2013 but still hanging around DFW as I need to Stay On Track.

"My dad used to say, 'You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought about you if you knew how seldom they did'." Phil McGraw
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    DH and i also want somewhere out in the countryside, and we would love chickens too... and pigs, geese, rabbits etc etc

Funny how we all want the same...
  • QueenB.
    QueenB. Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JulieG massage is such a wonderful bonding experience and research shows so many positive side effects. As both a mother of a disabled child and being a professional in that area I know how important it is for development. I used to do it in the evening when getting them ready for bed after their bath, I would put on some relaxing music and it was just such a wonderful time for DS1 i combined it with his physio routine ( he has needed physio since he was 4 months old)

Seems we all have dreams about living a simple life. I had always lived in the country or near water, even when we lived abroad. Growing up in Cyprus we had lots of different fruit trees in the garden and geese/ducks and all our neighbours had chickens and rabbits (not pets, food). I hate living in a busy town with no water near enough to hear/visit and neighbours on all sides of me. Ever since being of work I have got to know my neighbours better and one a few doors down keeps chickens so I have been asking her lots of questions as i would love some of my own.

SOT2011 I hope your phone is ok, my daughter would have a break down if her phone wasn't working.
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

Cross stitch Cafe member 81.
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    Sounds lovely...

My grandparents had a smallholding... rabbits for food are a must, I have pet rabbits too... but there is a difference :)
  • SOT2011
    Options
    Thanks QueenB.

I have transferred the SIM into my old mobile (glad I didn't recycle it after all!) but it doesn't have any of the functionality of my proper one and I shall definitely miss the fruity one if I have destroyed it, but I guess it will do me no real harm if I have.

I am staying hopeful, and I should know for sure on Tuesday - I have seen it advised to leave at least 2 days to reduce the risk of causing more damage turning back on........

SOT x

• QueenB.
    QueenB. Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My DD fruity phone is the only fruit that goes near her anymore i think! Shame it doesn't count as one of her 5 a day.

I think my washing machine is broken, there is no hot water at all and the washing smells strange, I am really hoping its just something simple but until its fixed its down to the laundrette tomorrow and tuesday.
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

Cross stitch Cafe member 81.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport