A Thread for After Debt?

Options

Comments

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    QueenB. wrote: »
    Evening everyone, I'm back........

:j Hello! I was just asking earlier today if anyone had seen you posting anywhere - I was getting worried about you!

Sorry things are tough ((hugs)) and I agree with SOT about the lappy - some things are really needs:)

I've been having some connection problems (just back on after around an hour of no service) - it usually happens on a Sunday and only for a few mins so not sure what's going on. Might need to send my ISP another ticket (not getting anywhere with them tho' as it's the usual, it's your line that's at fault / B*T reply - it's the ISP .....)
    SOT2011 wrote: »
    Tummy tickle also given on your behalf, I told her it was from her new friend Rising, and she looked around as if someone was just about to walk in the room x SOT x

Awwwwwww, thank you :D
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • QueenB.
    QueenB. Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your concern Rising:), Its just been a difficult year so far for so many of us but it is great to be back here and not only getting many tips and motivation but seeing so many friendly faces, so to speak. We are in a slow internet area so connection can be challenging at times but the new site has not agreed with either my old lappy or com puter. Thankfully so far (fingers crossed;)) no such issues with the new new lappy.

Have you had any luck on the dog front yet?
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

Cross stitch Cafe member 81.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    QueenB. wrote: »
    Have you had any luck on the dog front yet?

Sadly no ...... but trying hard and keeping everything crossed it won't be long
  • QueenB.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sadly no ...... but trying hard and keeping everything crossed it won't be long

((((hugs)))) I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you:)
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

• JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    Rising fingers crossed for you x

I hope you sleep better soon, easier said the done x

QueenB welcome back x

My laptop went to laptop heaven last summer, i got a new one right away because without it our finances would be in a mess... never regretted the spend, as its a nessessity x

Hope march is your month

SOT your right we're all mad :D
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • QueenB.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Any guilt i might have felt over new lappy has now completely gone:D I am so happy I have a new one, already feeling more motivated, just need to shift this cold that has creeped up on me.

Well I booked a holiday today, just a cheap caravan thing in Cornwall but can't wait. We haven't been on holiday as a family in so long my main worry now is if the car will cope with the long journey:eek: I may book it in for a check a couple of weeks before we go just on the safe side but not sure budgetwise as I have DS1 13th birthday and easter and DS2 birthday and quite a few bills to deal with first.

Now I will be looking for ways to save on the sightseeing when we are there.

Have a wonderful sunday:)

• JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    I'm so excited!!!!

DH and I are looking into buying a house now!!!! There is never anything to rent where we are moving to, and if we use the money from the sale of the car for this instead of renting we can do it :)

Just need to make sure we can afford mortgage repayments!

But we're officially looking :)
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    I'm so excited!!!!

DH and I are looking into buying a house now!!!! There is never anything to rent where we are moving to, and if we use the money from the sale of the car for this instead of renting we can do it :)

:j:j:jFantastic news!:D I love house hunting .... (oh no ... don't do it ...... I've only moved 32 times, I don't need to move again:eek:).
  • QueenB.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm so excited!!!!

Just need to make sure we can afford mortgage repayments!

But we're officially looking :)

:TGreat news JulieG how exciting for you all, I would love to move from where we are at the moment but not in any position to think about it yet, I have been having a sneaky glance at houses and house prices but nothing serious. OH is worried about the idea but maybe next year we should really start working towards owning a home.

• easilyamused
    Options
    Hello all :)

I've been reading and enjoying this thread for a while but have never joined in up before as I've felt like I'm not in quite the right place! I've never really had proper debt you see and never made that journey to being debt-free, so I hope you don't mind me joining in as I love the outlook and attitude of everyone here.

I'm 38, married for 3 years and live just the two of us with our rescue dog Bailey. Neither of us have ever really been in debt (about £300 on a catalogue for me or about £500 on a credit card bill when I was younger was my worst I think) - just chuntered through life just about managing to keep my head above water - never having much spare cash but never running up huge debts either. Hubby has the same outlook as me (for which I count my blessings as I know money can be a real hot potato for many couples) and we're both of the opinion that if we can't afford it right now then we either save up for it, or can get by without it. We don't have sky packages, buy loads of clothes, or have the latest gadgets, nor do we have cars on finance (my car is 15 years old and still going strong, bless it!) or have holidays every year, and we don't eat out every week either.

I must admit that saying all that makes feel like a total oddity in this day and age. It really all seems to be about have whatever you want, when you want it and just enjoy the here and now. But we've never been like that and we still manage to enjoy life.

We've got a very modest little three bedroom house that we 'bought' with a 35k cash deposit (what I made from the sale of my last place) and then took out a fairly small mortgage for the rest. Was originally £100k, but 6 years on is now just under £77k, thanks to a conscious effort to overpay by nearly £300 every month.
    I say we can't afford much in the way of clothes and holidays but thinking about it, I guess it depends on what your priorities are doesn't it - other people would rather pay the minimum on their mortgage every month and then use those £300 overpayments to maybe buy 2 weeks in the sun every year.

But in turn, we're getting quite a good feeling once a year receiving our annual mortgage statement through and seeing the balance and mortgage term get smaller and smaller. Looking forward to being mortgage free!

So that's us - just pootling along through life paying the bills and getting by and trying not to have any mad spending sprees for things I don't NEED (iPad anyone!?) just because there's a sale on or it's discounted...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure