A Thread for After Debt?

Options

Comments

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    She was really surprised at how frugal we are, she'e been thinking we flit away our money, when truth is we save a lot. She was impressed at the nice food I made, while being more impressed at my very tight budget! I think she just got to know us, and I would say she likes what she sees :D

Great news JG :D.

Also fantasic buys on the baby things :) & it'll be the christening in no time!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • SOT2011
    SOT2011 Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    Ohhhhh green eyed monster rearing it's head here :o really missing my walks - especially on days like this (have tried & just can't without the dog:() ... keep everything crossed I find one soon.

Sorry Rising, definitely have my fingers crossed for you, my mum was talking the other day about a lovely lab she met out with someone who had re-homed him through a Labrador rescue that made me think of you. They are down south though, I guess from what you have said about where you are that there are fewer opportunities, but I am sure the right one will come along, and hopefully it will be soon.
    Debt Free since Nov 11 (ish) (except the £118000 mortgage :o) as at Jan 2013 but still hanging around DFW as I need to Stay On Track.

"My dad used to say, 'You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought about you if you knew how seldom they did'." Phil McGraw
  • samtoby
    samtoby Posts: 2,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Wow..... so much to read....

I have tried updating this a number of times and the page drops out....and I loose everything. So copy and paste from now on....must be teething problems from the changes on the site.

So today I have just come back from a carboot. I was only there two hours with my DS. We made £92.50 I am so pleased. I never thought I would be making money from rubbish. So all complete. I am pleased. Unfortunatly this will be used to pay for my car tax. I really wanted to get my savings up to £9,100 but unfortunatly I will not be able to this month, before payday.

Betty the Maine Coon and Lucy the new dog are getting on great. So many people come up to her and say how cute she is. I didn't know sausage dogs were cute, until I had one. But now....I know they are. She is really good and the cat actually sits next to her when she is in her basket. So they have not killed each other. You have to feed them in seperate rooms though. That gets interesting if you do not!

Really struggling not to spend at the moment. My credit card is clear and thats something I find bizzarre. There is money on my Very account but they had an offer an 0% for a year if you spent £100 to I bought a dress for my friends wedding, trainers and trainers for my son. But that doesn't feel bad as I can pay it off over a year lol! All my friends are buying spangley new things. I am now feeling so weak I am having to carry my savings book around with me. Everytime I look at a handbag or shoes or go past JD Sports with my son (he loves it) I have to get the savings book out.

Unfortunatly I did not get an interview for the well paid job. I was disapointed. I have received feedback and they stated that my lack of much medical background effected it. If I had even a tiny bit that would have got me an interview. It wasn't a medical based job but they had many people apply and limited places so went to people with medical back grounds. I work in the local authority so I will just keep looking. And remain strong. Something will come my way. At least I have a job.

The tax credit changes coming in do not effect me which I am pleased about but feel for those who it does. I read the new changes on the website.

I am slightly apprenehensive that I am now going to have to pay stamp duty on a property I hopefully purchase. This has meant the amount I was placing for legal fees will not be enough. I was hoping to save £20k and then use my sealed pot challenge money for the fees but that is not going to be enough. This may push my looking at a property to end of Novemeber time. A tad sad about that. But whats a few weeks, I did years in debt.

I am glad I only have six weeks at work after having this week off to spend half term with DS until my next holiday off which is two weeks. We are going to spend it sailing which costs nothing apart from driving down, its very local though. Shame you have to drive but its the stuff I need with me. I can not wait for the summer to arrive....clocks change soon.

I hope everyone is we; using their spreadsheets and remaining strong after our debt has gone.

xx
    3 Children - 2004 :heart2: 2014 :heart2: 2017 :heart2:
    Happily Married since 2016
  • Mort
    Mort Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    samtoby wrote: »
    Unfortunatly I did not get an interview for the well paid job. I was disapointed.
    Sorry to hear that, it is really annoying not to get to the interview stage. Better luck next time.
    samtoby wrote: »
    I hope everyone is we; using their spreadsheets and remaining strong after our debt has gone.
    xx
    Tweaked one I have not touched since November tonight :D. Have had a mad splurge this weekend featuring an Indian restaurant, McDonalds and Domino's :o. Back to better habits this week :)
    Proud to have dealt with my debts, became debt free on 03/11/2011. Repaid £54,723.41 LBM May 2006.
    Debt Free Roll Of Honour #504
    Mortgage Free from October 2019
  • LianneH
    LianneH Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi folks! I'm just at the last stage of paying off my debt and I'm so excited! I promised myself that I wouldn't let myself post on here until I was fully debt free, but I just paid off another few £100 today so I'm a bit excited! Hope to be joining you all soon (as a fully fledged member) ! x x
    Debt Free Roll of Honor #598
    DFD 28/02/12 :j
    MFW 19 years - aim 11, prefer less!:D
    #222 EF £1k 60/1000 :cool:

• backinbusiness
    Options
    LianneH wrote: »
    Hi folks! I'm just at the last stage of paying off my debt and I'm so excited! I promised myself that I wouldn't let myself post on here until I was fully debt free, but I just paid off another few £100 today so I'm a bit excited! Hope to be joining you all soon (as a fully fledged member) ! x x

Aw Lianne - your enthusiasm and excitement really came through on this post - well done you, and welcome along.

Just a quick catch-up post tonight, but will be back on tomorrow evening I hope.

Take care all.

BiB
    DF :grin:
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    A big hello and hi to everyone!

Hope you are all doing well!

I just found out I need a whole new passport for a name change... that's £80 down to drain!!

LianneH Being debt free is definitly something to be excited about :D
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    LianneH wrote: »

:j:j Fantastic Lianne - well done on nearly being there & sure it won't be long before it's all gone!:D

JG pants to the passport ...... mine runs out next year and tbh I can't see myself renewing it.

I'm bored :( - not been feeling great for the past few days so decided yesterday to take this morning off (finish at lunchtime on Weds anyway) and have so far made 3 attempts to get up & stay up. Feeling totally washed out and no energy but it's just so "not me" to lazy around and not do anything - I'm itching to go out but just don't have the energy (which is a total contradiction:o).

Nothing to update on the spreadsheets .... might have to risk logging into the bank and trying to sort out the mess I've made of the pots!:eek:

I've also still not sent a letter off to close down the old savings account so will do that this afternoon - only around £50 in it but it'd be put to much better use elsewhere.

Sam sorry about the job ... there will be others I'm sure:)
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • backinbusiness
    Options
    Evening all - hope you are well.

February is shaping up to be a much better month than January thank goodness! No (touch wood) unexpected bills and a lovely, restful half-term break which helped.

It's going to be an expensive year in terms of various school trips, but I've asked my ex to contribute a bit more towards them. I paid for DD1's Paris Trip and he paid the spends. (Hopefully he will agree the reverse for DD2's Paris Trip). DD2 has also had a place confirmed on an Outdoor Education Trip in August. It'll be tight, but do-able, especially if he helps out a bit more.

Payday looms next week with the prospect of my promised backpay. I've tried roughly to work out the figures, but have been conservative with my estimate - hoping to get a pleasant suprise. Next week I head away for 4 days on a school trip myself - looking forward to the change of scene.

On the finances front - my impulse cc arrived and I did activate it, but I don't plan to use it much. I hate carrying a balance on a cc anymore - even normal day-to-day spends for cash flow purposes causes me anguish! I might put £10 worth of petrol on them from time to time just to keep them active and reporting to the CRAs.

Finally, I sat down last weekend (remember I was bored with my spreadsheet and finances?) and really went through everything again with a fine tooth-comb. I am satisfied that (for me) I can't improve on the way I do things - it's easy to manage, easy to see, and simple.

Anyway, dinner is made, eaten and the dishes washed up - the children are out with their father for a while, and Radio 4 and The Archers beckon (with a cup of tea!).

Nearly Friday folks! :j

BiB
    DF :grin:
  • samtoby
    samtoby Posts: 2,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I am so glad its nearly the end of the month. This means I will reach my half way point of 10k. I am so pleased. Saving seems to much easier now I have been through being in debt. I was looking through my clothes and shoes the other night and realised, that I have not really got anything special from being in debt. So I have a nice car (I have an Audi A3 Sport on a 53 plate) which was on finance and now paid off its high milage but it is in good order. It would not be worth selling as its been so reliable and I could not gaurentee that a cheaper car would not cost me more in the long run. Since I have had the Audi the most I have ever spent is about £400 in one hit, so it has been excellent. It hasn't failed a MOT for a few years now as well and before that it was bushes or something. So I am lucky. The £400 included the cam belt. Also I do not have to pay for insurance as I am under a group policy with my Mum and her partner which is great, I am lucky. So its just the darn road tax.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend, the weather is warming up which is great, I think April is going to be scorching!x
    3 Children - 2004 :heart2: 2014 :heart2: 2017 :heart2:
    Happily Married since 2016
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family