BR Friendly Bank Accounts ~ [Updated Sep 2012 re: Co-op Cashminder withdrawal]

Options

Comments

• x1x1
    x1x1 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I was informed today that you can no longer apply for Cashminder accounts via the phone. (I tried!)
    Restitution.
  • PippaGirl_2
    PippaGirl_2 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    Options
    It has to be in branch, and not a sub branch either it seems.
    "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama
  • IF
    IF Posts: 34,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    x1x1 wrote: »
    I was informed today that you can no longer apply for Cashminder accounts via the phone. (I tried!)

How odd, says you can on their website :think:
    Open your new account today

Although you can’t apply for a Cashminder current account online, the process is still extremely simple. Just call us on 0845 602 7057 or visit your local Co-operative Bank branch to apply.

Anyone else had problems?
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Seagray wrote: »
    We have a joint account with thinkbanking

Moved to it's own thread.

---> http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4360729
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Tryingsohardtofloat
    Options
    I opened an account this morning before I go BR in a couple of weeks time.

It took about 20 mins & they didn't even want any ID, just name & address & phone number basically. No referral, the chap just said 'OK its open & you will get the paperwork in 7-10 days time'.

:)
  • Done
    Done Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think it would be better for all banks to accept Bankrupts as new personal and business bank account clients, they have no debt, as long as the account prevents them going overdrawn or offering an overdraft or loan facility I can't see a problem......
  • Done
    Done Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I opened an account this morning before I go BR in a couple of weeks time.

It took about 20 mins & they didn't even want any ID, just name & address & phone number basically. No referral, the chap just said 'OK its open & you will get the paperwork in 7-10 days time'.

:)

Who was it with?
  • sammie28
    sammie28 Posts: 200 Forumite
    Options
    samasama wrote: »
    Something that's not been mentioned is internet banking for the two accounts.
    • The Co-op one has internet access and you can do banking online as you would with most other accounts.
    • Barclays won't allow you to have access to the internet banking until after you're discharged. The only reason they give is "bank policy".
    I like to double-check everything and not having online access to the Barclays account drives me up the wall (I live miles from the nearest cash point or branch so can't check it that way).
    Hi I just opened a Barclays cash account, I will be filing for BR in a couple of weeks. I explained everything to him and he said it was ok to open account and it wouldn't get frozen. But he also stressed that i had to set up online banking before the BR so that i will still have access to it after BR. He also told me to download the Barclays Ap and the Pingit Ap and set it up before BR as he wouldn't be able to do it after. Just thought i'd tell you my recent experience :)
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Since the recent press release the Co-op has assured other posters that if you open an Cashminder account with them, then go BR they will keep your account open.

Not always, it seems.
    Just had a letter from Coop bank. Because of my Br, they're now closing my account in 30 days! I mean !!!!!!? I was assured by the staff in my local branch that everything would be OK. Well thanks Coop. Thanks a lot.:mad:
    I went into my local Co-op bank and give them nuts for telling me it's ok to open a basic account if I'm thinking about BR. They deny all knowledge of ever advising me of that - how convenient!
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Find_The_Real
    Options
    Hi

Not sure if this is the right place but has anyone managed recently to keep their NatWest basic account open after bankruptcy if they have no debts with them.

I know people recommend the Co-op and Barclays but I have debts with both of them and would still like to have internet banking if I do have to go bankrupt although I appreciate having read some of the threads I may not be able to be that fussy!

Thanks and hope this is ok to ask this.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback