BR Friendly Bank Accounts ~ [Updated Sep 2012 re: Co-op Cashminder withdrawal]

Options

Comments

• marc3
    marc3 Posts: 305 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Post bankruptcy cheque book availability:

This has probably been done to death on here somewhere so i apologise where duplicated:

Am discharged bankrupt--discharged 3 years with coop cashminder accounts.
    Accounts have consistently run in 'good order' with reasonable funds in them for 3.5 years.

I really need a cheque book facility.I believe coop are fairly rigid on this and 'stick 'to the 6 year period that you are revealed as a bankrupt.

Has anyone had any joy with coop persuading them to allow you to go to one of their other current accounts in order to get chq book facility within the 6 year 'period'.
    whats the secret !!

-or indeed with barclays-or any other bank.

or is this just an absolute 'no chance mate' with any bank.

thank you for constructive replies in anticipation
  • IF
    IF Posts: 34,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 February 2012 at 9:12PM
    Options
    marc3 wrote: »

This has probably been done to death on here somewhere so i apologise where duplicated:

Accounts have consistently run in 'good order' with reasonable funds in them for 3.5 years.

I really need a cheque book facility.I believe coop are fairly rigid on this and 'stick 'to the 6 year period that you are revealed as a bankrupt.

Has anyone had any joy with coop persuading them to allow you to go to one of their other current accounts in order to get chq book facility within the 6 year 'period'.
    whats the secret !!

Hi Marc, there has been the odd poster to get a cheque book account but they are few and far between unfortunately, it will be very hard until the 6 years are up.

Have you cleaned up your credit files yet?

Best wishes
    If...x
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
  • alison6902
    Options
    Hi Just to let you know that I went Bankrupt in August 2010. Barclays were a creditor in my Bankruptcy. I went in last week to open a basic bank account but was refused because they said they had written the balance off.
  • IF
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    alison6902 wrote: »
    Hi Just to let you know that I went Bankrupt in August 2010. Barclays were a creditor in my Bankruptcy. I went in last week to open a basic bank account but was refused because they said they had written the balance off.

That is a odd, have you appealed against their decision? Did you take in proof of your discharge? Have you cleaned up your credit files yet, maybe something is showing outstanding??

If...x
  • foolishboy
    foolishboy Posts: 321 Forumite
    Options
    marc3 wrote: »

whats the secret !!

There is anecdotal evidence that HSBC and Halifax may consider people in your position for a 'proper' account - neither of them liked me though.

HTH
    FB
  • DelW
    DelW Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know about pre-paid credit cards please and how they treat BR? I have one and you can use it to receive money and pay bills etc. Does the OR treat this like a bank account?
    It's never as bad as you think! :o
  • IF
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DelW wrote: »
    Does anyone know about pre-paid credit cards please and how they treat BR? I have one and you can use it to receive money and pay bills etc. Does the OR treat this like a bank account?

Hi DelW, It's an odd one this as some OR's will let some keep the pre-paid credit card once they have explained that it was not a "credit" facility and only cash 'loaded'. I would still have one of the BR friendly accounts just in case. When you speak to the OR at court or later in the day, do explain what the pre-paid card is and what you use it for and fingers crossed they let you keep it.

Best wishes
    If...x
  • DelW
    DelW Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the reply. If they do say I can't keep it, how long do they freeze accounts for in general or is there no general? I do have a Cashminder account and have been running it for years (while I decided!) and am hoping that I can still use it.
    It's never as bad as you think! :o
  • IF
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DelW wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the reply. If they do say I can't keep it, how long do they freeze accounts for in general or is there no general? I do have a Cashminder account and have been running it for years (while I decided!) and am hoping that I can still use it.

Please read page 1 of this thread and all is explained.
  • dickie211
    Options
    Apologies if this isn't the right thread. My partner was discharged several months ago from personal bankruptcy. The background was that her ex husband accumulated a lot of dept (gambling and drug abuse)much of which was in joint names and secured on joint assets such as the home. To cut a long story short, the creditors have been trying to recover the debt from my partner for years. Following legal advice, she declared bankruptcy and was allowed one bank account for running her business from.

Now, she is being refused to open a personal current account with all the high street banks and is being told she has to wait 6 years rather than the 12 months she was advised before declaring bankrupt.

She does not need any credit or overdraught , just a current account that will allow her to setup direct debits to pay her routine domestic bills etc.

She has an appointment with Barclays tomorrow but she is very disheartened and expecting another disappointment. Any advice from others that have been there will be appreciated. Does she even need to mention she has been a BR?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback