BR Friendly Bank Accounts ~ [Updated Sep 2012 re: Co-op Cashminder withdrawal]

Options

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I think there has been the odd 1 or 2. But there have also been quite a few that have been promised by NastyWest that the account would be OK, only for them to go back on that and close it anyway. Would not trust or depend on them in BR one bit.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Find_The_Real
    Options
    Many thanks for the advice I guess I will have to look to opening another account if I do go BR. I do have a cashminder but don't use it due to the off-setting rule and I'm thinking the Co-op will probably close it if I go bankrupt due to owing them money.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Options
    hi..with regards to fermi's post at the top......it is entirely possible the quotes occurred as a result of account mismanagement, rather than a particular policy of the Co-op's?

Form other threads dealing with this aspect, it appears some trouble occurred regarding payments, etc?

Whilst such hiccups may be seen as being of insignificance to some, Co-op do take these things very seriously!

Hence, they have a '3-strikes' rule......3 mess-ups, and they close the account.

Mess-ups occur when there is a penalty incurred on the account.

If such an event occurs, it is best to telephone Co-op soonest, talk to an adviser, and explain the matter.

Very often, penalties occur purely from a misunderstanding of how things work....and the advisers have the ability to cancel a 'strike'.

If it is left unattended, then the penalty stands.

I would advise opening two or more such accounts.....mainly to assist with budgeting [especially as Co-op's internet service does not do real-time updates]....so that funds are always in an account, by the correct time, to pay stuff.

However, if the 3-strikes rule is applied, it appears to only get applied to the account in question.

If one or two other accounts exist simultaneously, then one can always fall back on those?
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • TinTin2004
    Options
    Can anyone tell me when I would be discharged from a BR order?

I've seen it can be as little as 6 months or up to 12 months? Why two different time periods? Is it no less than 6 months and any time up to 12 months in between?

What criteria determins both?

Also I have a Co-op account at the moment but it has a £200 o/d. Would the bank downgrade my account to no o/d and keep it open or would I be expected to open a completely new Cashminder account before BR made final?

I do go into my o/d some months but back in the black again when salary goes in otherwise all ok with Co-op?

Also if I were to open a seperate Barclays acccount AFTER going BR, would the OR need to know about this during my BR period?

Would payments be decided on financial position prior to BR order or can the come along at any time during BR and inspect accounts etc and ability to pay??
  • Ms_Survivor
    Options
    Hi there

New here & this thread caught my eye. Not sure if I'm posting in the right place or where this post might end up, but here we go!

I opened a Basic Bank Account with Danske Bank (was then the Northern Bank). They were the only people I didn't already owe money to I thinl! I told them at the time I would be filing for bankruptcy at some point, & they were ok with that. I was declared bankrupt in Jan 2013. The OR has already been in touch with the bank, & there is still no problem keeping that account.

Applies to those resident in Northern Ireland only. But they've actually been great.

Nasty-West???? lol love that! :rotfl:

Hope to chat.

Ms S
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TinTin2004 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me when I would be discharged from a BR order?

I've seen it can be as little as 6 months or up to 12 months? Why two different time periods? Is it no less than 6 months and any time up to 12 months in between?

What criteria determins both?

Also I have a Co-op account at the moment but it has a £200 o/d. Would the bank downgrade my account to no o/d and keep it open or would I be expected to open a completely new Cashminder account before BR made final?

I do go into my o/d some months but back in the black again when salary goes in otherwise all ok with Co-op?

Also if I were to open a seperate Barclays acccount AFTER going BR, would the OR need to know about this during my BR period?

Would payments be decided on financial position prior to BR order or can the come along at any time during BR and inspect accounts etc and ability to pay??

Please see my reply on your thread on the main board.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • kitchenmama
    Options
    Hi need some advice please.
    i am about to fill in nmy bankruptcy forms - and dreading it - i have had to move due to the fact that i cannot afford to live in the house i was renting and have moved in with a friend 50n mile from home - so not on electoral role - have bno proff of address as i cant change my driving license yet as may be lucky enough to get a job driving the buses abnd need to have it with me for training........ no bills or letters at this address either - so how do i go about opening an account ? i currently bank with rbs and find them great - could they still provide my banking as i dont have an overdraft and only have a visa debit card.?
  • Tryingsohardtofloat
    Options
    Hi all, just to say after the scare earlier this year with a poster having his Cashminder closed. Mine is fine, I set it up in January & went BR a month later & no problems at all so far :)
  • IF
    IF Posts: 34,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all, just to say after the scare earlier this year with a poster having his Cashminder closed. Mine is fine, I set it up in January & went BR a month later & no problems at all so far :)

Brilliant, thank you for letting us know :beer:

IF...x
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suspect it was because the other poster informed them he was going BR when he opened it. But obviously this is just supposition.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family