IF Posts: 34,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bump.........:starmod:
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
  • baglady
    Options
    I was made bankrupt about 2 weeks ago.

Has anyone tried to open a cashminder bank account recently. My Nat West personal and business accounts were frozen. I managed to get them unfrozen by OR and withdrew all the money from the accounts. They were going to change my personal account to a basic one but the computer system wouldn't let them do it. I had direct debits on the accounts to pay bills.

Yesterday I went into co-op bank to open an account and had to fill in form which would be sent off.
  • Cobalt77
    Options
    baglady wrote: »
    My Nat West personal and business accounts were frozen. I managed to get them unfrozen by OR and withdrew all the money from the accounts. They were going to change my personal account to a basic one but the computer system wouldn't let them do it.

Hi baglady,

This needs to be done by Natwest Debt Management Operations, and not in branch.

You will be allowed to keep ONE personal current account, which will be converted into a basic one. The account number will remain the same, and you can still use online banking etc.

You can contact Natwest Debt Management Operations on 03457 888 444.

They will require an email from your OR confirming the OR has no objections to you continuing to hold an account with the bank.

HTH :)
  • baglady
    Options
    Cobalt77 wrote: »
    Hi baglady,

You will be allowed to keep ONE personal current account, which will be converted into a basic one. The account number will remain the same, and you can still use online banking etc.

They will require an email from your OR confirming the OR has no objections to you continuing to hold an account with the bank.

Thank you Colbot77, I will call them in the morning. That will save me a lot of hassle as my pay is due to go into my account. I wish the branch had told me this because they were speaking to another department about how to help set up the account.

Thanks again.
  • philnicandevan
    Options
    Hi baglady,

sadly though in the past it's no guarantee they will downgrade off offer an account for a bankrupt with natwest...law unto themselves sometimes
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • baglady
    Options
    sadly though in the past it's no guarantee they will downgrade off offer an account for a bankrupt with natwest...law unto themselves sometimes

I have managed to get my nat west account downgraded to a basic one I got an email today about it. However I can't see anything when I log into online banking. I was told that I would keep the same account number. It's frustrating as I want to be sure that it is up and running so I can get my wages that usually go into my business account into this new basic one.
  • Cobalt77
    Options
    baglady wrote: »
    I have managed to get my nat west account downgraded to a basic one I got an email today about it. However I can't see anything when I log into online banking. I was told that I would keep the same account number. It's frustrating as I want to be sure that it is up and running so I can get my wages that usually go into my business account into this new basic one.

Don't worry. Natwest will just need to get confirmation that the OR that they have no objections to you keeping a Natwest account. This is just a formality. You will also receive a new debit card (which will have a different number to your"old" one, although it will still be for the same current account you previously had)

A few days of inconvenience is nothing compared to the benefits of keeping your nice Natwest account - I'm sure lots of people here are secretly envious of you ;)
  • Cobalt77
    Options

But fortunately for baglady, my advice was spot on (as she has confirmed)

I hereby claim this week's smartar5e award ;)
  • baglady
    baglady Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 October 2015 at 12:31AM
    Options
    But fortunately for baglady, my advice was spot on (as she has confirmed)

I hereby claim this week's smartar5e award ;)

Hey Cobalt77, you still get the award but the process of getting my basic bank account is taking a bit longer than I had hoped.

Update...
    I went into branch earlier this week saying that I still couldn't see my basic Nat West account online. I was told once my debit card arrived that I would be able to set up online banking. Still no debit card today so I called branch to find out when it would arrive. Had to hold on for ages whilst someone checked things. Now told by someone else that basic bank account would not be activated until my bankruptcy affairs had been sorted - she was fobbing me off with a bog standard answer. I explained again the situation that I had been told that it had been set up when I called the Debt management operations department. I was then given an email address and phone number that the OR has to send confirmation that they have no interest in my account.

I am due to get paid tomorrow/next few days into business account but both accounts are still frozen. I thought they had been unfrozen when the OR sent a fax and spoke to bank for them to release funds from them. I would have transferred money into the basic account and then closed the business account.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback