PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegan Store Cupboard Challenge

Options

Comments

• K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have bought lots of fruit and veg on Monday but also used the last of butternut squash fries, a packet of fishless fingers, and bread in varying quantities.

I made scones with some cherries and ground almonds which have nearly all been eaten.

I have also used the last of the frozen cauliflower, some sprouts and frozen carrots, sausages and some old mushrooms. Have ran out of a few things but they'll wait. Last of normal vegan milk which was stock piled, so only have chocolate milk in ... no good in mash, and almond yoghurt didn't taste great!

I will try and be more consistent with posting during April.
    I have shoppong coming tomorrow, but it's classed as an April shop not March. It is mostly handwash on offer at Ocado and washing up liquid. I have just bulk bought shower gels and shampoo and conditioner from Superdrug. The rest is yoghurts and a few veggie items for daughter, and a mixture of veggie and frozen vegan bits. Ordered the new Swedish Glace Almond and Cocoa ice cream to try. Does anybody know of any with no palm oil? Seems impossible to avoid unless you make your own.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

I have shoppong coming tomorrow, but it's classed as an April shop not March. It is mostly handwash on offer at Ocado and washing up liquid. I have just bulk bought shower gels and shampoo and conditioner from Superdrug.

How funny.:D I have my Ocado delivery tomorrow and I've just bought the same stuff in bulk as you from Superdrug. They are both good shops for vegans, although Ocado is pricy. It's good quality though.:)
  • chirpycheap
    chirpycheap Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looking forward to following this thread. My cupboards are considerably less full since becoming vegan but meal ideas are always welcome.
    This week we have had baked sweet potatoes with a kale and black bean topping and cashew cream, chick pea curry, lentil stew and soy mince bolognese.
    Finding simple vegan recipes can be a challenge. I bought some of the vegan magazines but found the recipes really complicated with a zillion ingredients most of which you wouldn't find round my local shops.
    Where do other people find recipes from? I have been compiling a book of tried and tested simple recipes. Tomorrow I must face the very large butternut squash that I have been avoiding all week. I will roast it and make it into a soup. It will be delicious I'm sure but preparing butternut squash is like trying to tame a turtle!
    Stashbusting 2019 - 230/300
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Finding simple vegan recipes can be a challenge. I bought some of the vegan magazines but found the recipes really complicated with a zillion ingredients most of which you wouldn't find round my local shops.
    Where do other people find recipes from? I have been compiling a book of tried and tested simple recipes. Tomorrow I must face the very large butternut squash that I have been avoiding all week. I will roast it and make it into a soup. It will be delicious I'm sure but preparing butternut squash is like trying to tame a turtle!

I'm not exactly much of a cook, but I look on Pinterest for easy vegan meal ideas.:)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Enjoying the thread.

I am looking to get back on the vegan wagon, and googling the calcium content of foods like crazy. I don't see how I'm ever going to meet the RDA without using a supplement because I physically can't eat that much! Nothing vegan and unprocessed seems up there with milk and cheese. Correct me, please?

Ditto iron.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    How funny.:D I have my Ocado delivery tomorrow and I've just bought the same stuff in bulk as you from Superdrug. They are both good shops for vegans, although Ocado is pricy. It's good quality though.:)

Too good to miss in the long run as you just end up paying more out in the long run!

For first week of April these have been roughly what has goine in and out.

Ocado shop as mentioned above in on 31/3, and the rest of the week fruit and veg, pop, bud light cans, bread, walnuts , and icing and cake ingredients for daughter's birthday cake

Out last of okra, peppers, onions, burgers, burger buns, two bags of chips, peas, rice, corn on the cob, linda mccartney scampi, quorn risotto, coconut milk, last of massaman curry paste, edamame beans, quinoa bites, wraps, bread, avacado, crisps, snacks, cereal, fruit .... and fish /chicken for youngest cat, as just been castrated yesterday

Has anybody got a meal plan in place for next week?i now have my rota for the next month at work so can plan meals a bit better. I will be trying meatless meatballs from walnuts and mushrooms, also need to use up some peri peri sauce i've had in cupboard forever. Other than that, i'm unsure
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    Has anybody got a meal plan in place for next week?i now have my rota for the next month at work so can plan meals a bit better. I will be trying meatless meatballs from walnuts and mushrooms, also need to use up some peri peri sauce i've had in cupboard forever. Other than that, i'm unsure
    I've done a mealplan now ...
    Monday Meatless balls with pasta
    Tuesday Vegan cheese and ham salad bagels
    Today Piri Piri chicken potato bake ... This was way too hot (using bottles gifted to someone else that were extra hot) , and i had to rinse the sauce off and have it plain and follow with an ice cream :eek:
    Tomorrow Vegan duck pancakes/wraps
    Friday Curry and rice
    SaturdayTacos or Burgers
    Sunday Sauasage, veggies and mash

Food

IN
    Shopping from Asdas, and last night some bread and doughnuts from work. Then this morning i went to the local Food Club shop and Morrisons. There i got biscuit spread x 2, roasted peanuts, tinned tomatoes, potatoes and kidney beans, pretzels, cranberry juice, chilli chocolate, dates and pain au chocolate (think that was it). From Morrisons, i got spring onions, YS mushrooms, courgettes, cauli, two pepperes, lleeks, swede, bananas and YS mini weetabix and violife

Out parsley and kale in the bin (both gone off), small amount of walnuts/breadcrumbs/herbs and spices for meatless balls, pasta, last of violife, last of vbites ham, bagels, tin of soup, half a bag of quorn hotdogs, tin of spaghetti hoops, spread, two bottles of piri piri sauce, half a bag of quorn pieces, several onions, half a pepper, last of violife sausages, two potatoes, last of sweetcorn, handful of green beans, several ingredients for Bosh vegan cake which has been made into cupcakes and almost all gone, pizza and more birthday cake.
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    Anybody still about on here. I haven't posted since March :eek:
  • Molillie
    Molillie Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    I'm trying to eat more vegan meals now, having been vegetarian for years, and like Pick up Limes and Liv's healthy life on You Tube. They both have a lot of simple recipes and tips, and I always enjoy watching food being prepared! I've never used things like coconut aminos or nutritional yeast, but at least the vegan channels clarify what they look like and what they do. I still haven't found a non-dairy milk that tastes good in tea and coffee, but have got more used to them over time, and tend to buy whichever is on offer, apart from Soy, which I dislike.
    Will look forward to reading this thread
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2017 at 8:23AM
    Options
    Thanks for those two YouTube channels to investigate.

Just had a very quick flip to a couple of Pick Up Limes to see if I might watch them - and, thank goodness, not another "Ditzy Delilah" doing girly gestures of widening eyes/having a little dance/oh-I-am-so-girly stuff and chit-chatting for some time before the video proper starts on the one hand. On the other hand - a "serious" presenter that I take literally one look at/spot they are several stones overweight and think "That must mean what they eat ain't what I want" and switch off on the other hand.

So that "pick up limes" presenter looks/acts more like I'm looking for.

So all the links possible to "for real" YouTube websites are good - ie they look slim and healthy (ie "this diet works folks") and are generally "serious" and not girly-girly would be welcome.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback