PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegan Store Cupboard Challenge

Options

Comments

• OldMotherTucker
    Options
    Of course - only vegan on here! It's second nature for me to convert almost everything to vegan now - thanks to my well stocked food cupboards! The only thing I don't really 'do' are meat,cheese or egg substitutes. I just prefer planning our meals without those ingredients!
    I'm going to try custard tarts for my SIL next week - DID YOU KNOW . . back in the olden days, people ate vegan custard tarts during Lent? Yep! Made with almond milk thickened with arrowroot! Interesting little piece of history - custard tarts have been around since before Henry the 8th!

So . . not a vegan but very pro alternative ways of eating! Vegan-friendly/vegan tolerant if you like!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • OldMotherTucker
    Options
    My favourite for tea tonight - peppers roasted in the slo cooker with H/made corriander hummus in wraps - the omnis love these as well!
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course - only vegan on here! It's second nature for me to convert almost everything to vegan now - thanks to my well stocked food cupboards! The only thing I don't really 'do' are meat,cheese or egg substitutes. I just prefer planning our meals without those ingredients!
    I'm going to try custard tarts for my SIL next week - DID YOU KNOW . . back in the olden days, people ate vegan custard tarts during Lent? Yep! Made with almond milk thickened with arrowroot! Interesting little piece of history - custard tarts have been around since before Henry the 8th!

So . . not a vegan but very pro alternative ways of eating! Vegan-friendly/vegan tolerant if you like!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Please could I have the recipe to that if you wouldnt mind, when you get a chance. Have almond yoghurt but not milk (could thin it with oatly maybe) and have arrowroot. Win win.
    Haven't had egg custard for about two years!
    Had no idea such a thing existed
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £106.38 May £?
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • OldMotherTucker
    Options
    Please could I have the recipe to that if you wouldnt mind, when you get a chance. Have almond yoghurt but not milk (could thin it with oatly maybe) and have arrowroot. Win win.
    Haven't had egg custard for about two years!
    Had no idea such a thing existed

Did you not know that Bird's custard powder is vegan? It's never contained egg or milk, just corn starch for thickening!! Just make it as per instructions. I tend to use soya milk for that because I find Oatly can start to split when sugar is added!

For a quick custard tart just make up a suitable quantity and either use a pre-made sweetcrust pastry shell or Just roll patsry - both are made with veg oil and not butter. Bake the shell blind if not bought, then fill with runnyish custard and bake in at 200 in a bain marie for about 20/25 mins or until just set. Don't forget lots of grated nutmeg - or cinnamon for a change!

I'll post an almond milk/arrowroot version later in the week when I have perfected the quantities.

There will be loads of dessert trial going on Chez Tucker because we plan to do only vegan desserts at my daughters Wedding next year! And we'r not telling the omnis!!:rotfl:
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I would love to read menu plans for the week. Here's mine, it's the end of the month so it's all about leftovers.

M - everyday pad thai
    T - l/o tofu with veg fried rice
    W - enchiladas
    T - stuffed peppers, using leftover bean mix
    F - jerk jackfruit wraps
    S - jacket potatoes with leftover jackfruit
    S - veg and butterbean pasties with bulgur and lentil salad
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    1pk rice/quinoa spaghetti
    1pk edamame spaghetti
    1/2 pk edamame & mung bean fettucini
    1pk soy bean spaghetti
    1pk black bean spaghetti

Ooh, where did you buy them? :)I was looking for an alternative to wheat pasta.

Which one tastes the best?
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    Did you not know that Bird's custard powder is vegan? It's never contained egg or milk, just corn starch for thickening!! Just make it as per instructions. I tend to use soya milk for that because I find Oatly can start to split when sugar is added!

For a quick custard tart just make up a suitable quantity and either use a pre-made sweetcrust pastry shell or Just roll patsry - both are made with veg oil and not butter. Bake the shell blind if not bought, then fill with runnyish custard and bake in at 200 in a bain marie for about 20/25 mins or until just set. Don't forget lots of grated nutmeg - or cinnamon for a change!

I'll post an almond milk/arrowroot version later in the week when I have perfected the quantities.

There will be loads of dessert trial going on Chez Tucker because we plan to do only vegan desserts at my daughters Wedding next year! And we'r not telling the omnis!!:rotfl:

Thanks OMT did know about the custard, Tesco custard powder is also sfv. Not sure my oatly has ever split apart from in coffee occasionally. I try to omit using jusrol due to.palm oil. Can make my own though not a problem. Thanks for sharing :-P
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £106.38 May £?
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I would love to read menu plans for the week. Here's mine, it's the end of the month so it's all about leftovers.

M - everyday pad thai
    T - l/o tofu with veg fried rice
    W - enchiladas
    T - stuffed peppers, using leftover bean mix
    F - jerk jackfruit wraps
    S - jacket potatoes with leftover jackfruit
    S - veg and butterbean pasties with bulgur and lentil salad

Not done mine but need to have a serious thInk once im off work.
    So far had sweet potato chips, fishless fingers and peas

Have yet to try jackfruit but my friend might be going to Wing Yip soon so fingers crossed.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I found the brand for the rice quinoa spaghetti, BIOFAIR. They have it in Ocado so I'm going to try it this week. It has good reviews. Brilliant.:)

I went to my GP yesterday and they had a magazine on coeliac disease so I saw a few adverts for a few new brands of wheat-free stuff to try. Very handy timing!
  • pumpkinlife
    Options
    I've managed to tame my storecupboard now and generally only stock what I know I will use, and I top it up a little each month. I'm compiling a list of staples I need to keep stocked each month.

I still have a bag of cous cous to use up, we just don't eat it at any time of year.

These threads are normally full of recipes and wisdom, so following...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback