Sold Ring on ebay. Advice Please?

Options
Hi I put a ring onto ebay it sold today at buy it now price. Prompt email from buyer requesting more pictures and invoice and paypal id and a delivery address in an industrial estate in uk. All fine sent pics and a better description along with paypal invoice with in the hour.

Just received another email from buyer, explaining he works with a charity and has been very busy and wants the ring to be sent to a family member in africa. He said he has added extra postage to the invoice and wants it posted asap. Not a problem except no transaction from him on paypal, he put a paypal receipt no in his email. This is the first time i have sold anything on ebay and used my paypal to recieve money. Does it take time to show on account. Obviously im not going to post the ring until i get the payment, slightly uneasy about buyer due to change of delivery address perfect english in first email and broken in the second and he only set up his ebay account today, item was bought about 11 am.

Any advice gratefully appreciated, im probably been too cautious because its the first time ive used ebay and paypal for sell!

Hope this makes sense to someone

Comments

• sezzlebum
    sezzlebum Posts: 297 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2011 at 7:11PM
    Options
    Sounds scamish to me, if they had paid it would be in your account,

im sure someone will be along soon and can confirm my doubts
    :TJanuary Wins: Something from CCL :T

:beer:Thanks to all posters!:beer:
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    whatever you do, DO NOT send it to anything but the confirmed address!!!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is a scam.
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No it's a scam for sure.
    How much did it sell for?
    I'd get onto ebay with the messages if I were you & hopefully they'll cancel the transaction & you'll get your FVF's back.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,317 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It screams scam to me- it has every single trigger point right down to the new address in Africa. Infact I would lay good money to this being a scam- I wouldn't even spend one second thinking otherwise.

Explain to buyer politely that you will only ship to the UK address that payal provide assuming it states OK to send- you could always let them know you might have cottoned on to them by mentioning that you are sorry about not being able to ship to Africa but with the 419 scam so high profile you are sure they will understand.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    I assume it was an expensive ring? This is a common scam, known as the 419 scam - file an npb and relist.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Obviously_the_best
    Options
    Yep, definitely a scam, tell him to s0d off, the cheeky bûgger!!!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,317 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with hermum, phone ebay immediately (get a web pin) and report this as a definite scam to them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    whatever you do, DO NOT send it to anything but the confirmed address!!!

Confirmed/unconfirmed address means nothing.

Op this is a scam. Block the id if he as one.

Read the sticky on postage ifonlyitwaseasier.
  • dibaby
    dibaby Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah im just a bit uneasy about it all, just emailed him asking for more details regarding payment and that i will post the ring as soon as payment is cleared in my account! I hope its not a scam I had big plans to sell everything that wasnt nailed down for christmas funds!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure