PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stardrops: A Users Guide

Options

Comments

• shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh and i think i will stop buying bubbles too:rolleyes:

How about using a cheap baby shampoo, would that do the same job as washing up liquid?
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    One-third each of Stardrops, water and white (distilled malt) vinegar, ideally in a spray bottle that had something else in it (washed out of course), so it doesn't cost you anything.

Stephen - doesn't that make for a rather "soapy" mixture?

For a general anti-bac cleaner for kitchen and bathroom (washbasin, tiles, toilet, worktop, etc) I use an old 750ml spray bottle filled with cooled, boiled, filtered water and add 2 teaspoons of concentrated Stardrops, 5-8 drops of tea tree oil (for the anti-bac properties), and 1 teaspoon of gin or vodka (so it's not too runny or something - got that off another thread).

I find that is an effective cleaner and would imagine more Stardrops would be very soapy.

I might add the vinegar next time I make a batch up although I do use a vinegar/water mix (1:5) for an effective window cleaning spray - spray mix onto window, wipe over with sponge, dry off with microfibre cloth = sparkling windows!
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    After my fruit flies thread I wondered what uses others put their Stardrops to :D

So...

1) zapping fruit flies.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi tigerfeet,

Thanks for that, I hadn't thought of using stardrops on fruit flies! There's an earlier thread on uses for stardrops that you may find useful so I've added your post to it to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • bunzee
    bunzee Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Can I ask what may seem a really stupid question - I have just got a bottle of Stardrops and will be making up the mix with vinegar and water - when using it do I need to wipe everything down with a damp cloth to remove it?
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bunzee wrote: »
    Can I ask what may seem a really stupid question - I have just got a bottle of Stardrops and will be making up the mix with vinegar and water - when using it do I need to wipe everything down with a damp cloth to remove it?

I apply it with either a damp cloth or one of those sponge/scourer things. Don't use too much: my main working surface is 600mm deep by about 1500mm long and just one squirt is enough - it really does go a long way.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    After my fruit flies thread I wondered what uses others put their Stardrops to :D

So...

1) zapping fruit flies.

What setting do you have the sprayer on? :D
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    I have used it for years and swear by it , I buy mine in wilkinsons my laminate floors always come up a treat - It is so versatile you can wash up with it, clean laundry with it, in fact it is good for any cleaning chores you care to use it on and it is so cost effective as it is not only cheap - a little goes a long way Fantastic stuff.
    I worry though in case the manufacturers catch on and increase the price
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • tigerfeet2006
    Options
    Hi tigerfeet,

Thanks for that, I hadn't thought of using stardrops on fruit flies! There's an earlier thread on uses for stardrops that you may find useful so I've added your post to it to keep the replies together.

Pink

Might have guessed there would have been a thread on it already :D
    BSCno.87
  • tigerfeet2006
    Options
    What setting do you have the sprayer on? :D

I use a wide angled spray to get as many of the little blighter as possible Mwahaahaahaa!!!
    BSCno.87
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills