MSE News: Orange and T-Mobile customers to get faster mobile internet

13»

Comments

• T-Mobile either speed cap you to a very restrictive 300kb/sec connection or to a 2 mbit connection on their android and iPhone tariffs where as orange do not place such speed restrictions.

This has been proven by me and a friend with the same phone in the same place (i.e. mine) with a t-mobile internet tariff and a t-mobile business tariff.

t-mobile internet hit 1.9 mbit down and 300 kbit up
    t-mobile business hit 4.5 mbit down and 1.5 mbit up

For me personally Orange is more expensive but a better network, the premium side of t-mobile shall we say.
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    luci wrote: »
    How can you check the speeds on an Android phone?

download the 'speedtest' app
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    daleski75 wrote: »
    T-Mobile either speed cap you to a very restrictive 300kb/sec connection or to a 2 mbit connection on their android and iPhone tariffs where as orange do not place such speed restrictions..

Orange don't place a cap on their speed cause no one can get anything near 3 mb, i'm getting around 1mb.
  • neil40
    neil40 Posts: 753 Forumite
    T mobile users that roam onto Orange's network dont get full Orange speeds but T-mobile speeds.
    Also noticed that Skype is disabled from T-mobile & T-mobile..Orange.Apart from that,they are a good network!!
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    neil40 wrote: »
    T mobile users that roam onto Orange's network dont get full Orange speeds but T-mobile speeds.
    Also noticed that Skype is disabled from T-mobile & T-mobile..Orange.Apart from that,they are a good network!!

I had full speeds but only for two days. Back to snail pace again now.
  • Had to get a replacement simcard as mine messed up and before hand I was getting 3 to 4mbit on Orange and maxed out at 7 mbit on Orange T-Mobile now I am getting capped at 1.8mbit on both.

I thought Orange have no speed caps??

Can anyone from Orange or T-Mobile answer this?
  • dduk
    dduk Posts: 150 Forumite
    daleski75 wrote: »
    Had to get a replacement simcard as mine messed up and before hand I was getting 3 to 4mbit on Orange and maxed out at 7 mbit on Orange T-Mobile now I am getting capped at 1.8mbit on both.

I thought Orange have no speed caps??

Can anyone from Orange or T-Mobile answer this?

If you're a T-Mobile customer then you'll now be capped if you're on orange. The fact it happened after you got a replacement sim is probably a coincidence.
  • I am on orange and called them but they had no clue and stated orange 3G is only 3.6mbps when it's 7.2mbps and guess I have to put up with speeds less than half what I used to get.
  • Further update.

Spoke to a very helpful guy today about the sudden drop in speed when roaming onto t-mobile and he looked at my 'bundle' and noticed that something got taken off and once they added it back on I got instantly faster pings and much faster 3g speeds on orange t-mobile.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure