Have you turned your heating on yet?

Options

Comments

• Aldahbra
    Aldahbra Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How do you vote for thermastatically controlled central heating? Don't think it has been on yet but it might have.

Surely most peoples central heating is like this now don't they? You just program the timer for different temperature for time of day and leave it. We first had thermastatic control in the 80's!!! Surely the question for most people is how cold do you let your house get before the heatning comes on. We're 18 degrees in the daytime and 16 degrees at night. Because of insulation I don't think it has got that low yet.
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • tootsie84
    Options
    I am a single parent, and I use extra clothing, and keep a pile of blankets in my livingroom to keep us warm, I try not to use my gas fire at all, I have no central heating. When the weather is severe I put my fire on in the morning for my kids before they go to school, I never use my fire when they are not at home. On our beds we have a blanket and quilt under the sheet, and a bedspread on top of the quilts to keep out the draught, I just pile on extra quilts and blankets, the only downside to this is no one wants to get out of warm bed in the morning. Unfortunately electricity and gas costs an absolute fortune, but I guess we have good old "Maggie" to thank for that, as shareholder dividends have put energy prices through the roof.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I would have liked a "not yet, will put it on when needed" option. I haven't turned mine on yet, but I'm not waiting for November, I just haven't felt it is necessary yet. I'm still on the summer weight duvet and the wide open window, too.

Now, if only I could afford to replace the boiler & radiators and have them individually controlled...
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • fuzzybear01
    fuzzybear01 Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm in London and haven't put it on yet, trying to hold out as long as possible as when it goes on it never goes off. Will be making an effort to wear dressing gown and jumper etc. Previous years I just used to whack up the heating and sit around in t-shirt and shorts as it was more comfy. I'm trying to save money at the moment!
  • Goinker
    Goinker Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Ours has been on for the past week, but we've had a new weather compensated condensing boiler fitted during the summer months, so keeping a check on the gas consumption. So far it seems very low, and bungalow is held at a comfortable temperature, although we have cavity wall insulation, 12" of roof insulation and uPVC double glazing, so that's about as good as it gets, I reckon. We're in the North Midlands and my wife has just retired, so is at home most of the time,- need to keep her happy and warm, so it's worth it!:)
  • The_Pixi
    The_Pixi Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    I'd have liked an answer that said

"I live in a flat, and like a true money saver am banking on my flat being heated by downstairs and left and right" lol
    Mortgage Balance £182,789.00 of £259,250.00 Overpayment Total £48,847.13
    Monthly payment down £258.82 Overpaid last month £1096.38
    End of month 11/2017
  • stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    Options
    Like some others I never touch it. The thermostat/timer just decides, having been carefully programmed.
    I've noticed the rads lukewarm on a couple of cold days so far.

Haven't needed the gasfire since we got cavity wall.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • TimBear
    TimBear Posts: 808 Forumite
    Options
    Mine hasn't been on at all yet.

Last Winter we lived in a house with only electric heating and I didn't turn it on once, not even when it was Arctic outside! We did use a small oil-filled radiator though to warm out feet when we were sitting on the sofa. The electric heating would have cost too much to use.

We now have central heating and I won't be too worried to turn it on, although I'm still quite frugal and would rather wear a jumper and slippers and wrap up in a blanket than turn it on! My OH, on the other hand, would have it on every second of the day if he had his way.
  • gobsheen
    Options
    mine is never switched on. I really can't afford to. I am already £400 behind on my leccy bill with no way of getting it down.it's just coats and blankets for us this winter.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 15,524 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've always tented to stick with the old school system, heating goes on start of Nov and off end of March. Then it's not on all the time.
    [FONT=&quot]“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure