Have you turned your heating on yet?

Comments

• cjez_2
    cjez_2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    I have central heating but last year I turned it off, yes off, and just used an electric heater in the living room where I lived for the winter months (I bought a fold down bed). I used to feel sorry for the elderly that were shown on television living in one room to save money but was surprised when I joined their ranks last year (thanks for putting the age of retirement up Mr. Cameron) when I didn't get the winter fuel allowance of £250 that I was warmer last year than previous. It's now £200 and I will, fingers crossed, be getting it this year.

That's really awful. Sorry to hear that. We are trying really hard to keep it off this year due to astronomical prices but I've started setting it for a little while early morning so as to avoid frozen then burst pipes.

Hopefully the winter won't be as cold as the last two!!
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sidsmum wrote: »
    There is no reply box for "I do not have central heating"

I can't, therefore, vote in this poll.

Why - there is no mention of central heating - just heating?
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Angel_Eyes
    Angel_Eyes Posts: 3,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I wish I could dare to use it more but I'm scared I won't have the money to pay the higher bills expected this year.
  • Last summer I switched my heating off completely and when I came to switch it back on again, the water/heating valve (no idea what the technical name is) broke. It took several weeks and a lot of inconvenience and time off work to get it fixed.

The Plumber told me that it shouldn't be switched off completely so this year I just turned the thermostat down a bit. It seems to be working properly as the thermostat has ensured the heating's been on a couple of times so far.
  • No, it won't go on until November! If you're chilly, put a sweater on! I'm in the south by the way.
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the Internet.
  • Alizarin
    Alizarin Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm in SW England and turned mine on last night. We're on Economy 7 so I was hoping to wait til November at the earliest to try and save a bit of money ... but I had to give in cos the cold was starting to warp my and OH's guitar strings :(
    :www: Saving for a deposit - Target £30k by 24/03/14 (30th Birthday!) :www:
    Current Savings - £18,153.11 / 60.51%
  • Greenfly_3
    Greenfly_3 Posts: 33 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2011 at 3:11PM
    From the poll, it suggests that most of those in Scotland N. Ireland & N. England have had their heating on. That's because we did not have the heatwave. In fact in N. Ireland, the last time we had a "summer" was in February/March this year. Last year our "summer" was in March and the year before in May. That's it.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Would have been interesting to break down the "Unless it's seriously icy mine stays off" into two camps:
    "My house is warm unless it's seriously icy"
    and
    "I can't afford to / don't want to put the heating on until it's seriously icy".

Would give you a better idea of people's attitude to the thing.

Personally, I'll put the heating on as soon as the flat gets cold - it's just too warm at the moment, we're still sleeping with the bedroom window open :(
  • Alisha2008
    Alisha2008 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Mine has been off since May, it's been chilly a couple of mornings but nothing too bad. Boiler broke down last week but they fixed it next day, so I know it's working. I think we'll probably need it by the end of this month...
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    We are trying to hold out til November. We are in east anglia and only had a couple of coldish days so far and we lit the woodburner for a few hours then.

Im also studying Coopers of Stortfords brochure and eyeing up the nordic slippers and snuggle blanket :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure