My thrifty living twenty something diary...

Options
124»

Comments

• Thomas_The_Tank_Top
    Options
    I made this chicken and potato dish yesterday - slices of potato with olive oil drizzled over. Then on top I put chunks of chicken that had been mixed with cream cheese, chilli and garlic. i baked this covered for 40 mins then put a little grated cheese over the top and baked for a further 20mins at about 180c. It was okay...missing something but not sure what.....anyway I made 2days worth :)

Sounds great. Do you cook just for you, or do you share any with your landlady?
  • littlerussiandoll
    Options
    So sorry I haven't been here in ages, but I have been using the new River Cottage veg book and its AMAZING. Cutting out meat saves so much money! I highly recommend it as my money is now going so much further!
  • littlerussiandoll
    Options
    Sounds great. Do you cook just for you, or do you share any with your landlady?

I don't share...unless I am feeling generous hehe :)
  • littlerussiandoll
    Options
    Here was a really nice simple recipe from the book....

5 small onions
    All butter puff pastry (just £1 in Sainsburys at moment)
    1 TBS Balsamic vinegar

Fry onions until caramelised - I find low heat for long time works well here!

Add vinegar, stir and take off heat.

Lay onions in a round oven dish

Cover with a layer of pastry.

Put in oven for about 25 mins at 190

Crumble over goats cheese if you like :)
    YUM YUM YUM
  • littlerussiandoll
    Options
    And this lasted aaaaaaaaaaaaages!!!!!! I found grilling in the oven better than frying though. And I used whatever cheese I had and it was fine!

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/polenta-with-tomato-sauce-recipe
  • Pearla*Merle
    Options
    Ooh, thanks for that onion pastry recipe! I do something similar with a Nigella supper onion pie recipe, but that includes faffing around making a dough - I like the sound of the pastry, very quick and easy! Going to try that soon :D (def with goats cheese! Yum yum yum) x
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • littlerussiandoll
    Options
    I just want to say this little project has saved me so much money that I have now finally caught up and actually have Januarys rent all stored up in advance :D HAPPY!!!
  • Thomas_The_Tank_Top
    Options
    LRD. Thanks for onion pastry recipe - handy for work, at the fraction of the cost of a canteen roll.

Hope you and your readers have a smashing 2012.
  • fluffpot
    fluffpot Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Options
    Cheap food, but so far from the list it looks very processed carb and saturated fat heavy and a bit light on the veggies/protein..

Try this one - when you find a reduced feta cheese pack of course ! .. serves 2
    Slice 2 red onions into rings, mix with olive oil and half dozen sprigs of thyme (from garden of course!). Make foil envelope and put layer of onions, layer of crumbled feta and layer of onions. Seal up and bake at 200 for 30 mins. Meantime, rinse and cook 4-5oz brown or green lentils (huge bags available from health food shops, very cheap and last ages) in water or stock. When cooked dress with little olive oil. pepper and some chopped mint leaves (garden again). Serve with the onion and cheese on top. Yummy, filling and good source of fibre.

I think is a a Nigel Slater one...
  • missladyannie
    Options
    Great thread! i'm going to subscribe! Keep it up!
    Nov NSD: 8/7 Dec NSD: 1/10
    Sealed pot member #1443 2011: £106. 2012: £171
    Ninjakat challenge: Aim to clear two debts by April 2013
    100 day challenge: No toiletries or magazines 19/100 (3 x fails :()
    Extra payment a week challenge: Total to date: £2355.53
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport