My thrifty living twenty something diary...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in How much have you saved?
40 replies 7.6K views
littlerussiandolllittlerussiandoll Forumite
74 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in How much have you saved?
:wave: :)

I am a longterm MSE forum'er but have set up a new account so as to keep my privacy about my new situation. I am in my twenties and am going through a divorce. Fortunately I was entitled to legal aid... I have long term health problems but manage to work part time. I am now a lodger with a super landlady and my rent is £320 a month...I may or may not get help with that...waiting to hear!

I want to keep a diary because I love being thrifty and I want to get out of my overdraft and actually save some money for my exciting new life in which I am so so much happier!

So to help me and people here I am going to keep an online diary of how I have saved money and what my plans are :) and of course to get advice along the way please oh please

I have no printer but go to the library. I walk everywhere and often if I travel it gets reimbursed through work. Plus I have a YP railcard.

I aim to eat on about £1-£2 a day if possible :/ we shall see! I have a good stock for breakfasts and sometimes just have toast etc for lunch so it is mainly dinners that concern me.

This weeks freebies
Dr Pepper 500ml
Walkers Crisps
Goodfellas pizza (yet to receive voucher as no printer)
Cambells chicken condensed soup.

I used the chicken flavour soup to make chicken pasta and it lasted me 2 days :)

Today I found a Chinese for 2 reduced to £2.95 so that will last me 2 days.

I bought some cream cheese and sweetcorn to make a pasta bake with some tomato puree I have frozen. I will post a recipe as I want it to be as similar to Homeprides Creamy Tomato pasta bake as possible.

I also plan to make lasagne and will post the recipe :) but I love putting red wine in :/ I think I may have some Nectar points to use up so may have to part with some as a lasagne will last me 3 days and I have all the other ingredients.

Replies

• I'm going to subscribe if you don't mind as I'm far to quick to spend money and would like some hints and tips as well as inspiration.
    Good luck with the diary, I am considering one myself.
    Kerri x
    SPC = £15.54 #1413
    £2 challenge = £22
    DEBT =
    [STRIKE]£5030[/STRIKE] £4488.50 (10%)

• I'm going to subscribe if you don't mind as I'm far to quick to spend money and would like some hints and tips as well as inspiration.
    Good luck with the diary, I am considering one myself.
    Kerri x

I hope we can help each other out :D
  • edited 10 October 2011 at 9:23PM
    74 Posts
    edited 10 October 2011 at 9:23PM
    So...my pasta bake is in the oven. Copying Homepride with creamy tomato.

Here is how I made it -

150ml Tomato puree
    100g Cream Cheese -(half a pack!) Tescos value is 40p
    Hot Water
    Mixed Herbs
    Salt and Pepper
    As much pasta as seems sensible :) I think mine worked out about 350g
    LARGE pasta dish!!

OPTIONAL
    Sundried Tomatoes (love the ones from 99p shop, add as many as you like and a little of the oil)
    Sweetcorn (as much as you like)
    Olives (Huge jar 99p shop)
    Grated Cheese (I buy the value bags and freeze them :)

1 - Put the tomato puree in a glass perspex jar and top up to 1pint with hot water. Stir well.

2- Put tomato sauce into LARGE pasta dish. Add a further 200ml hot water. Then add the cream cheese to this and WHISK

3 - Add seasoning and optional ingredients.

4 - Add pasta, stir well and put in oven at 180c for 20mins. Check if still moist enough and if pasta is still dry top up with a little hot water. Add grated cheese to top and return to oven for another 20mins or until pasta is cooked and cheese golden :D

YUM YUM YUM

any questions just ask :)
  • edited 8 October 2011 at 12:19AM
    74 Posts
    edited 8 October 2011 at 12:19AM
    Cheap Chocolate Dessert!
    Sainsbury's do a packet of "chocolate desert" mix for 10p!!!! You just add milk and whisk. Being on my own last night I took a small glass, filled it about 1/3 full of powder and whisked in some milk. I let it set in the fridge and I had a really nice evening desert for a few pence! If you had any chocolate laying around you can chop it up and add it to make it even more yummy :)
  • I didn't know you could freeze cheese. Thank you
    SPC = £15.54 #1413
    £2 challenge = £22
    DEBT =
    [STRIKE]£5030[/STRIKE] £4488.50 (10%)

• Best of luck continuing this! Really interesting and detailed posts, look forward to reading more!
  • MJM10MJM10 Forumite
    11 Posts
    A few weeks ago there was a TV program about Freegans. The idea is as the name suggests, finding food for free. It was interesting to see what was to be found, still wrapped and within sell by date, in bin bags outside (wellknown) highstreet food outlets. Possibly only for the brave!
  • MJM10 wrote: »
    A few weeks ago there was a TV program about Freegans. The idea is as the name suggests, finding food for free. It was interesting to see what was to be found, still wrapped and within sell by date, in bin bags outside (wellknown) highstreet food outlets. Possibly only for the brave!

Well someone left a huge tub of pick n mix at the place I clean yesterday :D that was cool :D It frustrates me how much food goes to waste...its just awful!!!
  • Well I am still eating the pasta! :D but tonight I made a huge pan of sweet chilli jam from the River Cottage website. Great recipe and I used tomatoes and chilli's from the garden. The red wine vinegar is only about 60p from Tescos :)

I would like to add this is so tasty on that pasta...or any pasta I am sure!!!

Any ideas about cheapest place to buy my red wine for next weeks lasagne? I did see a small bottle of red wine for cooking in Nisa for £1.50?
  • I didn't know you could freeze cheese. Thank you

Yes but already grated is best otherwise...well your be grating a long time!:)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals