IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye - Crown Wharf Shopping Park, Walsall

Options

Comments

• Sparky543
    Options
    Well, I slept on it and decided against paying. I guess it's time to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Thanks for all the words of advice, this is now Judgement Day 1!
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Sparky543 wrote: »
    I actually have TWO of these for the same day/time. One for my (company) car and one for my wife's (we both parked at Crown Wharf on 28/12/11 believing it was free parking over the Christmas holiday-I'm the registered keeper for her car)

I've had 2 letters already for each car approx 12 days apart asking me for the money. My charge goes up to £80 if I don't pay by tomorrow.

My gut is telling me to pay them as I don't want the threat of court action looming over me, but my head and other advice from here, watchdog, my companies solicitor and advice from my sister who lectures contract law, is telling me to hold fast and ignore them and every other letter that I know is going to arrive.

Ultimately I'll decide what to do tomorrow, but if I don't pay, I'll keep you all updated as to what happens.

Ignore Parking Eye, but if it was free parking on those days, complain to the landowners as who knows how many poor people have got invoices from Parking Eye whom couldn't be bothered updating their system to take into account free parking days, and also contact the local press "invoiced for parking on a free parking day"

A mistake like that could get Parking Eye kicked out (hopefully) ;)
  • Jake12345
    Jake12345 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 26 January 2012 at 3:38PM
    Options
    After being advised by a check out girl that parking was free throughout december and january I didn't pay any parking on my following visit on the 28th Dec. After receiving a fine I have rang up the Crown Wharf shopping park who said the free parking was only on weekends. But after speaking to an employee of one of the Crown Wharf stores who has claimed she's had 14 fines and never paid a penny I may just ignore the Parking eye threats.
  • FatAndy
    FatAndy Posts: 7,541 Forumite
    Options
    Jake12345 wrote: »
    But after speaking to an employee of one of the Crown Wharf stores who has claimed she's had 14 fines and never paid a penny I may just ignore the Parking eye threats.

She's wrong about that. Only the police and local authorities can issue parking fines, Parking Eye are neither of those. What she actually should have said is that she'd had 14 letters begging for money from Parking Eye.

Just remember that the law prohibits private companies from issuing penalties, all the landowner can claim is a reasonable pre-estimate of losses incurred, so Parking Eye's letters have the same legal standing as a piece of toilet paper.
    The fridge is empty, the walls are damp, there's no hot water
    And I look like a tramp and tramps like us
    Baby we were born to walk
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    Complaining to Landowners is a waste of effort, they franchise parking rights out to PPC companies in return for a cut of the scam money.
    The more people get fined, the more dosh the landowner gets.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • FatAndy
    FatAndy Posts: 7,541 Forumite
    Options
    vax2002 wrote: »
    Complaining to Landowners is a waste of effort, they franchise parking rights out to PPC companies in return for a cut of the scam money.
    The more people get fined, the more dosh the landowner gets.

You can't be 'fined' by a PPC :whistle:.
    The fridge is empty, the walls are damp, there's no hot water
    And I look like a tramp and tramps like us
    Baby we were born to walk
  • skyblues11
    Options
    i have got my final notice today. Telling me to expect bailiffs etc. if i still ignore them.

the wierd thing is, I only use my "mike' name when it comes to business. I use Micheal in official stuff like car insurance etc.

How come they are calling me Mike on the letters? i don't remember giving them my business card?!
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The only way proper bailiffs would get involved (as opposed to powerless debt collectors) would be if the case goes to court (very unlikely), you lose (very, very unlikely) and then you don't pay whatever the judge orders within 28 days. That's such a remote possibly it's not worth worrying about. Just keep ignoring them.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,523 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    skyblues11 wrote: »
    i have got my final notice today. Telling me to expect bailiffs etc. if i still ignore them.

the wierd thing is, I only use my "mike' name when it comes to business. I use Micheal in official stuff like car insurance etc.

How come they are calling me Mike on the letters? i don't remember giving them my business card?!

Does it really say bailiffs? Or debt collectors?

Is your letter different than the known letters shown in the top thread then?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • give_them_FA
    give_them_FA Posts: 2,998 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2012 at 2:44PM
    Options
    What letters from debt collectors usually say is "court action MAY be taken which COULD lead to bailiffs seizing your goods" or words to that effect. What they fail to mention is that this never happens. The only cases I have seen reported which were genuine resulted in either defeat for the PPC, or a Pyrrhic victory where a very small award was made by the Court and the Company had to pay a huge sum in costs which didn't get awarded.

And none of them will EVER sue someone who never replies to their letters because they have no way of knowing if you are even still alive. Don't forget they have to pay fees up front to take it to Court so they are NEVER going to do that blind.

Oh, Sparky- if you're still following, WELL DONE! Now just bin everything they send. If you have a sensitive nature (and I think you have, lol) then make a note of the return address on the back and bin the letters without opening them.

So IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE! Never been known to fail.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure