Parking Fine for only being a few seconds late!!

Options

Comments

• mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    Question is, who's watch/clock is correct/incorrect?

If we really are talking about seconds late here who's to say the parking attendants watch isn't a little fast?

That'll be the case for appeal.
  • JQ.
    JQ. Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Options
    Not at all. I've broken the speed limit many times and have been prosecuted for it, I'm also not a perfect driver and have made mistakes. The difference is I don't behave like a child and blame everyone else for something I've done - if I cut someone up I'll apologise, it I speed and get caught I'll pay my fine.

Unfortunately, we live in a country now where people don't take responsibility for their own actions and always want to put the blame on everyone else: "It was the Post Office's fault"
  • George_Michael
    Options
    From what I understand a guy had just received a parking ticket because the time that he was allowed to be parked in the particular spot had expired by literally a few seconds

Only a few seconds over the time allowed.
    How about only a few MPH over the posted speed limit
    or only a few milligrams over the blood alcohol limit.

I'm not saying that parking offences should be looked at in the same light as speeding or driving whilst drunk but the principle is the same. There is a limit for all of them and once over this then an offence has been committed.

And before anyone states it, yes, I do occasionally speed and sometimes park where I shouldn't but I do so in the full knowledge of what I'm doing is wrong and if caught I know that there wil be no one to blame but myself.
  • STOCKWIRE
    Options
    JQ. wrote: »
    Not at all. I've broken the speed limit many times and have been prosecuted for it, I'm also not a perfect driver and have made mistakes. The difference is I don't behave like a child and blame everyone else for something I've done - if I cut someone up I'll apologise, it I speed and get caught I'll pay my fine.

Unfortunately, we live in a country now where people don't take responsibility for their own actions and always want to put the blame on everyone else: "It was the Post Office's fault"

People are delayed, people sometimes fail to see warning signs, people make mistakes. Why should it cost an arm and a leg when there is no loss or hardship to anyone else ?. People are scared to admit fault or to making mistakes because of the financial implications. Have you not seen the footage of the reporter who was turning in a private car park and was blocked in and clamped by a van. How can that be fair ?. Parking charges and over zealous jobs-worth parking wardens have killed our town centres.

And just for the record i have never had a parking ticket (for over 30 years) But that is not only because I abide by parking rules, I have just been lucky !
  • STOCKWIRE
    Options
    Only a few seconds over the time allowed.
    How about only a few MPH over the posted speed limit
    or only a few milligrams over the blood alcohol limit.

I'm not saying that parking offences should be looked at in the same light as speeding or driving whilst drunk but the principle is the same. There is a limit for all of them and once over this then an offence has been committed.

And before anyone states it, yes, I do occasionally speed and sometimes park where I shouldn't but I do so in the full knowledge of what I'm doing is wrong and if caught I know that there wil be no one to blame but myself.

You are allowed a few milligrams over the limit before you are prosecuted as you are given grace when speeding.
    But Parking offences are life threatening crimes and offenders must be punished regardless of circumstances !!.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    Chatzby wrote: »
    I witnessed this scene today and wanted know peoples thoughts on it.

Today I finished work early :D and came back to my car to witness an argument between a parking attendant and a member of the public.

From what I understand a guy had just received a parking ticket because the time that he was allowed to be parked in the particular spot had expired by literally a few seconds. The guy argued that he had been in a long line in the post office, so it was not his fault that he was late. I think its also important to let you know that the road was dam near empty, so there were loads of free spots available for other drivers to park in.

My question is, do you think parking attendants or councils should easy up on fines when a person is a few seconds/minutes late in moving their car?

Do you think councils even care?

Personally I think its ridiculous that someone should have to pay up to £130 for being a few minutes/seconds late on moving their car, especially when there are numerous amounts of parking spots available for others to use.

"A few seconds" could just be his "opinion." A few seconds could be six hundred and fifty-two seconds. The reasons for his late return is largely irrelevant. If he has an issue with the post office queue, perhaps he should have taken it up with them and not the CEO. I have witnessed similar "discussions" in the street.

"I am late by a few seconds."

"No sir, you are not, you are late by fifteen minutes."

"Don't lie to me, you changed the time on teh meter."

"No, sir, I didn't. Your ticket runs out at twelve o'clock, it is now twelve fifteen."

It is at this point that the motorist realises he isn't going to win, so then continues to abuse the CEO, by calling him names and threatening him with violence. All of which he just takes in his stride and ignores as it's just another day at the office.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • JQ.
    JQ. Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Options
    STOCKWIRE wrote: »
    People are delayed, people sometimes fail to see warning signs, people make mistakes. Why should it cost an arm and a leg when there is no loss or hardship to anyone else ?. People are scared to admit fault or to making mistakes because of the financial implications. Have you not seen the footage of the reporter who was turning in a private car park and was blocked in and clamped by a van. How can that be fair ?. Parking charges and over zealous jobs-worth parking wardens have killed our town centres.

And just for the record i have never had a parking ticket (for over 30 years) But that is not only because I abide by parking rules, I have just been lucky !

You're quite right people do make mistakes, people are delayed and in most other aspects of daily life there a consequences, why is using a car any different.

If I miss my train, there's a consequence
    If I forget to pay my credit card bill, there's a consequence
    If I'm delayed getting to the airport for my Ryanair flight, there'll be a very high consequence.
    If I forget to attend that important business pitch, there'a a consequence
    If I accidentally drop my TV there's a consequence.
    If I pay for 60 mins parking and return after 65 mins there's probably a 10% chance that there's a consequence - but for some unknow reason to me, people feel hard done by if they suffer that consequence.

ps - traffic wardens have not killed our town centres - out of town shopping, the increased use of the car, high rental levels, upward only rent reviews, high business rates, internet shopping, ebay, etc etc has killed town centres. ;)
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    I find peoples concept of time in situations such as this is very often distorted. It usually transpires that those people who think they are a couple of seconds late are actually several minutes late, but then if they admitted that they wouldn't be able to have the argument with the warden.

I'm sure I'll get flamed, as avoiding fines and points appears to be a hobby for many people on here, but, I park where I am permitted to park, I park for the appropriate period, I pay the appropriate fee, I park within the alotted space and I never park on private property unless it expressly states that I can and what conditions are attached. I actually find this quite easy to achieve and means that I've never had a parking ticket in my 20 yrs of driving.

If the chap thought he was going to be late while at the Post Office he should have left, he chose not to and suffered the consequences, so it was his fault.
    Aye, you will - So what about the rest of us who do exactly the same and still to get ticketed? Come-on!

Being tooth-grindingly self-righteous still dosen't excuse you from appreciating the basic facts that a great deal of tickets are issued either incompently or maliciously. :mad:

But how can they get ticketed if they follow the rules?
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • KierNet
    KierNet Posts: 2,775 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was expecting a ticket when I was 20 minutes late a few weeks ago...nothing :D...was rather pleased!
    What is pi? Where did it come from?
  • STOCKWIRE
    Options
    You're quite right people do make mistakes, people are delayed and in most other aspects of daily life there a consequences, why is using a car any different.

If I miss my train, there's a consequence
    The train will normally be delayed
    If I forget to pay my credit card bill, there's a consequence
    You phone them they will normally cancel if it is a one off
    If I'm delayed getting to the airport for my Ryanair flight, there'll be a very high consequence. cheapskate Fly with a decent airline ~ they will normally put you on the next available flight FOC
    If I forget to attend that important business pitch, there'a a consequence If you are any good at your job you should be able to reschedule
    If I accidentally drop my TV there's a consequence.Home insurance accidental damage cover
    If I pay for 60 mins parking and return after 65 mins there's probably a 10% chance that there's a consequence - but for some unknow reason to me, people feel hard done by if they suffer that consequence. how does a sum of anything over £25.00 relate to five minutes ?

ps - traffic wardens have not killed our town centres - out of town shopping, the increased use of the car, high rental levels, upward only rent reviews, high business rates, internet shopping, ebay, etc etc has killed town centres. ;)
    If you expect to be 50 minutes and pay for an hour and get delayed through no fault of your own, why should you be penalised ?.No one has lost anything and no one gains anything except the LA financially.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure