Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Parking Fine for only being a few seconds late!!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
34 replies 2.8K views
ChatzbyChatzby Forumite
14 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
I witnessed this scene today and wanted know peoples thoughts on it.

Today I finished work early :D and came back to my car to witness an argument between a parking attendant and a member of the public.

From what I understand a guy had just received a parking ticket because the time that he was allowed to be parked in the particular spot had expired by literally a few seconds. The guy argued that he had been in a long line in the post office, so it was not his fault that he was late. I think its also important to let you know that the road was dam near empty, so there were loads of free spots available for other drivers to park in.

My question is, do you think parking attendants or councils should easy up on fines when a person is a few seconds/minutes late in moving their car?

Do you think councils even care?

Personally I think its ridiculous that someone should have to pay up to £130 for being a few minutes/seconds late on moving their car, especially when there are numerous amounts of parking spots available for others to use.

Replies

• HappyMJHappyMJ Forumite
    21.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do not care. Usually they (council) will allow an appeal .... maybe... once per year. If it's private then ignore it. I thought the allowance was 5 minutes personally. Me, if this was me I woudn't pay it.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Hi Moderators,

Please can you move this thread to the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking forum? I've only just seen it.

Thanks,

Chatzby
  • JQ.JQ. Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    I find peoples concept of time in situations such as this is very often distorted. It usually transpires that those people who think they are a couple of seconds late are actually several minutes late, but then if they admitted that they wouldn't be able to have the argument with the warden.

I'm sure I'll get flamed, as avoiding fines and points appears to be a hobby for many people on here, but, I park where I am permitted to park, I park for the appropriate period, I pay the appropriate fee, I park within the alotted space and I never park on private property unless it expressly states that I can and what conditions are attached. I actually find this quite easy to achieve and means that I've never had a parking ticket in my 20 yrs of driving.

If the chap thought he was going to be late while at the Post Office he should have left, he chose not to and suffered the consequences, so it was his fault.
  • pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JQ. wrote: »
    I'm sure I'll get flamed, as avoiding fines and points appears to be a hobby for many people on here, but, I park where I am permitted to park, I park for the appropriate period, I pay the appropriate fee, I park within the alotted space and I never park on private property unless it expressly states that I can and what conditions are attached. I actually find this quite easy to achieve and means that I've never had a parking ticket in my 20 yrs of driving.

Aye, you will - So what about the rest of us who do exactly the same and still to get ticketed? Come-on!

Being tooth-grindingly self-righteous still dosen't excuse you from appreciating the basic facts that a great deal of tickets are issued either incompently or maliciously. :mad:
  • isplummisplumm Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    They do not care. Usually they (council) will allow an appeal .... maybe... once per year. If it's private then ignore it. I thought the allowance was 5 minutes personally. Me, if this was me I woudn't pay it.

if this was a private car park, then I would agree .... but if it is a council ticket, then my attitude would be - pay up & make sure back on time in future ...

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email [email protected]
  • I heard that there was a recession on and local council's need your money .................
  • InsideInsuranceInsideInsurance Forumite
    22.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where do you draw the line then? Is it ok as long as your back within 5 minutes? If thats the case why not just issue the ticket with the extra 5 minutes on it so rather than expiring at 13:00 it says 13:05? But then you will just get people saying they got back at 13:05:10 and they should get a ticket for only being 10 seconds over the allowed time.

The ticket is clear, if there's a long queue in the post office you make your choices on if you continue queuing and hope your not ticketed or you leave and extend your ticket before queuing.
  • edited 30 September 2011 at 11:21AM
    mikey72mikey72 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 September 2011 at 11:21AM
    pogofish wrote: »
    Aye, you will - So what about the rest of us who do exactly the same and still to get ticketed? Come-on!

Being tooth-grindingly self-righteous still dosen't excuse you from appreciating the basic facts that a great deal of tickets are issued either incompently or maliciously. :mad:

And equally, there are a vast number of people who will park badly, use other peoples paid for spaces, park on private land, and have no regard for others because they believe they can't be held accountable, based solely on the belief that as they own a car they have an unalienable right to park regardless of consequences for others.

This is again a good example.

"It's not my fault, I had to park to stand in a long queue, and I didn't want to pay for a long enough ticket"
  • wba31wba31 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    I agree that if you're late, you're late, and if you've parked and paid as you should you wont get tickets! (if you then get a wrong ticket i hope you appeal and win) it's really simple! however, we want 5 minutes grace periods to cover up our own faults of poor timekeeping, which in this guys case was never his own fault, it was the Post Office's fault!! maybe they will pay the ticket because they had a queue!!
  • Question is, who's watch/clock is correct/incorrect?

If we really are talking about seconds late here who's to say the parking attendants watch isn't a little fast?
This discussion has been closed.