Options

Comments

• lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    xinstaller wrote: »
    The number engraved on the clay is 25
    Ahh, 25. That's magical stuff that, very expensive too!
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    The type of 'grog'[chamotte] core was written about years ago my myself on this forum and in this thread, as was [#382] heat retention science [see below] also on this forum and in this thread. A high-res photo of all the chips and board might help me identify the chipset which I don't believe is any different to all the other sellers such as the fraction of the cost Electrorad, or indeed an Amozon retailed panel heater.

eIT7plr.png
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • We were initially pleased with our Fischer radiators but our long term records of electricity consumption demonstrate a huge increase in our use of expensive daytime electricity. Our repeated attempts to discuss this with Fischer have been extremely disappointing; both emails and telephone calls remain unanswered. It feels to us as if Fischer technical services are under strain and customer service do not care. In our opinion, prospective customers would be well advised to think twice before buying these costly radiators.
  • xinstaller
    Options
    They will be many more people like yourself who bought German heaters who will eventually find out for themselves what you just did. Have you got any written evidence to confirm that you were to save money. You should seek legal advice and should be able to get all your money back from the self-employed agent who mislead you. Many people who buy these type of heaters go on to sell them on eBay for 1/5 the price they paid. They then revert back to their old effective and economic ways of heating their homes. With the initial outlay of these heaters it makes it one of the most expensive way of heating. A £20- £50.00 heater will have the same results as these german heaters. Reviews on trustpilot are mainly fake reviews as reported by the guardian news paper.
  • xinstaller
    Options
    I am working on exposing the element within this chamotte stuff and will upload the pic here for all to see. Currently working on another scam and how to legally expose the sham
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/property/advice/10629029/Jeff-Howell-are-air-to-air-heat-pumps-good-value.html

More hot topics
    Q:You said in your column on heating costs, the “German clay-cored heaters” are a non-starter. I understand your reasoning. But how about the situation of a second home to which the family escapes at weekends, at unpredictable short notice?
    The heating is currently conventional night storage, which the family is supposed to turn down when leaving. The next time it arrives, maybe some weeks later, the place is cold.
    Being able to switch on the radiators remotely by smartphone or other electronic device would mean the place was warm on arrival. You can also control each radiator by a thermostat and timer, I believe. Would this exception to the general rule justify this type of heating? Night storage is such an inflexible system.
    RP, by email
    A: These clay-cored heaters are very expensive to buy and, as I have explained before, will cost exactly the same to run as all other types of electric heater. The only way of heating economically with electricity is to be on the off-peak tariff, using night storage heaters, and the clay-cored heaters in question are not designed for that purpose.
    However, like other readers, it seems that what has caught your attention is their “controllability”. Well, you can buy electric panel heaters for (from)
    £20-£30 from Argos or any DIY store. They’ve all got thermostats, and they can all be used with timers. Get some plug-in seven-day timers and set them for, say, 6pm-9pm on a Friday – then if you turn up, the place will be warm; if you don’t turn up, they’ll turn off again until the following Friday. Or if you want to operate the heating remotely using a smartphone or laptop, and you have an internet router in the weekend house, you can get a Wi-Fi thermostat for around £150 (eg Salus or Heatmiser).
    You could use this to turn on a couple of the panel heaters and then, when you arrive, you can switch the night-storage heaters on for the following day. I don’t see the need to give thousands of pounds to a salesman for a system that you could replicate yourself for a couple of hundred.
  • lstar337
    Options
    It's a shame more people don't read these things. Very helpful information in there.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    It's a shame more people don't read these things. Very helpful information in there.

More from The Telegraph. It is important to note that this is general advice and applies to many of these type of heaters.

CLAY-CORED HEATERS

Question

My sister lives in a 25-year-old flat which is heated by electric storage heaters, on Economy 7 tariff. She feels that her heaters need upgrading.

What are your views on the new German-made electric clay-cored heaters, advertised to replace existing storage heaters? They are cheaper to run, and they just plug into a 13 amp plug and are powered off standard rate electricity. I gather these heaters are very expensive to buy!

Answer

I have explained before that these heaters are not “new”. There is not even anything exclusively German about the way they function, although there has certainly been a recent advertising blitz from UK companies claiming that this “German technology” is somehow novel and superior.

The fact is that all types and brands of electrical resistance heaters are equally efficient, in that they all turn 100 per cent of the electricity into heat. The advertisers claim that these particular heaters are more efficient because they only draw current for around 15 minutes in the hour. But the same is true of any electric heater fitted with a thermostat – it will turn itself off and on regularly in order to maintain a stable temperature.

Not only do these heaters cost many hundreds of pounds, but they are not designed to use cheap off-peak electricity. So your sister will find herself using day-rate electricity, around four times more expensive than the Economy 7 night-rate.

I pointed all this out last August. I then received several angry letters from the selling companies, and one of them, Bright Heating, subsequently withdrew its advertising from The Sunday Telegraph. Last week, the Advertising Standards Authority found against this company on five counts, ruling that its adverts were misleading and its claims were unsubstantiated.

I wonder why your sister thinks her 25-year-old storage heaters need “upgrading” anyway? The latest storage heaters might be more stylish-looking, and slightly better insulated, but it is unlikely that they will work all that much more effectively than her existing ones – certainly not enough to justify the financial outlay of replacing them.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • lstar337
    Options
    Yet with all these ASA rulings, they still make these wild claims.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback