We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Stopped By The Police

124

Comments

  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    if its a 30 limit then surely doing 44 would mean other cars are noticeably slower?

    That rather assumes that anyone else is sticking to the speed limit - which often isn't the case on these in-town multi-lane roads....
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I still don't actually believe that the directgov website is right. There's a word 'usually' and it doesn't mention that the lamposts are INSTEAD of signs.
    The lamppost thing is a guideline only I thought. If you're on a DUAL carraigeway (and we've established that OP was not) or Motorway, the speed limit is 70, unless there are signs (not lampposts) saying otherwise. I also thought there were meant to be repeater signs (the smaller circular signs) if it wasn't national speed limit. I stand by my comment. Remember it's not a dual carraigeway unless there's a central reservation.
  • almillar wrote: »
    I still don't actually believe that the directgov website is right. There's a word 'usually' and it doesn't mention that the lamposts are INSTEAD of signs.
    The lamppost thing is a guideline only I thought. If you're on a DUAL carraigeway (and we've established that OP was not) or Motorway, the speed limit is 70, unless there are signs (not lampposts) saying otherwise. I also thought there were meant to be repeater signs (the smaller circular signs) if it wasn't national speed limit. I stand by my comment. Remember it's not a dual carraigeway unless there's a central reservation.

    Far, far more complex than can be done here! The type of road plays a part but also location and whether it was classified or not too.
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    almillar wrote: »
    I still don't actually believe that the directgov website is right. There's a word 'usually' and it doesn't mention that the lamposts are INSTEAD of signs.
    The lamppost thing is a guideline only I thought. If you're on a DUAL carraigeway (and we've established that OP was not) or Motorway, the speed limit is 70, unless there are signs (not lampposts) saying otherwise. I also thought there were meant to be repeater signs (the smaller circular signs) if it wasn't national speed limit. I stand by my comment. Remember it's not a dual carraigeway unless there's a central reservation.

    I'm afraid you are still mistaken.

    The usually bit is because you can have residential areas or temporary signs round schools imposing a 20mph limit (which is a different story).

    Repeaters are not needed on dual carriageway national speed limit roads as you say but neither are they needed in 30mph limits. All you need is a change of speed sign when the limit drops.

    Seriously try having a look at your street on the way home. You'll pass the sign for 30mph and not see another (assuming you don't live in some country pile).

    5t.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    fivetide - this is a bit clearer, thanks, and close to my understanding about when a repeater is, and is not required. I understand that once you're inside a 30 zone, you don't get repeaters.
    I STILL believe, however, that a 30mph dual carraigeway must have repeaters, whether there area lampposts or not, otherwise the national speed limit applies.
    I can't actually think of a dual carraigeway here in NI that has a 30 mph limit in it. Can only think of junctions where there is a clear 30 sign, then speed goes back up again, and there's no space or need for repeaters.
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 16 September 2011 at 1:03PM
    almillar wrote: »
    fivetide - this is a bit clearer, thanks, and close to my understanding about when a repeater is, and is not required. I understand that once you're inside a 30 zone, you don't get repeaters.
    I STILL believe, however, that a 30mph dual carraigeway must have repeaters, whether there area lampposts or not, otherwise the national speed limit applies.
    I can't actually think of a dual carraigeway here in NI that has a 30 mph limit in it. Can only think of junctions where there is a clear 30 sign, then speed goes back up again, and there's no space or need for repeaters.

    You'd think it would to avoid confusion but that isn't the case.

    If you pass the change of speed so for example you went from a 50 to a national speed restriction dual carriageway, you wouldn't get a repeater, just two signs either side of the 'start zone'

    Likewise, if the limit dropped from 50 to 30mph as it might do as the road heads into town, you wouldn't get repeaters just the two big 30mph signs. The street lights are a guide. Also the lines in the middle of the road should get longer with a shorter gap to signify potential hazards. The responsibility is really with the driver to notice the change and manage their speed accordingly.

    5t.

    EDIT no idea on NI but in mainland GB here's a list in North East England alone and it references the street light issue for you too. http://www.nescamp.co.uk/city-dual-carriageway-speed-limits-reminder
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • bigjl.
    bigjl. Posts: 232 Forumite
    almillar wrote: »
    fivetide - this is a bit clearer, thanks, and close to my understanding about when a repeater is, and is not required. I understand that once you're inside a 30 zone, you don't get repeaters.
    I STILL believe, however, that a 30mph dual carraigeway must have repeaters, whether there area lampposts or not, otherwise the national speed limit applies.
    I can't actually think of a dual carraigeway here in NI that has a 30 mph limit in it. Can only think of junctions where there is a clear 30 sign, then speed goes back up again, and there's no space or need for repeaters.

    You believe and are in fact wrong. If you do drive I'd suggest you read the Highway Code. There are no repeaters on your local 30-mph high street. Matters not if it's single or dual carriageway.
  • almillar wrote: »
    fivetide - this is a bit clearer, thanks, and close to my understanding about when a repeater is, and is not required. I understand that once you're inside a 30 zone, you don't get repeaters.
    I STILL believe, however, that a 30mph dual carraigeway must have repeaters, whether there area lampposts or not, otherwise the national speed limit applies.
    I can't actually think of a dual carraigeway here in NI that has a 30 mph limit in it. Can only think of junctions where there is a clear 30 sign, then speed goes back up again, and there's no space or need for repeaters.
    The dual carriageway which runs round Bristol city centre has street lights and no repeaters. It's also a 30 mph limit, as I found out to my cost many years ago.
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    spiro wrote: »
    Some limits do appear to be set to confuse/raise money. In Stevenage the town centre is surrounded by a rectangle of dual carriage ways with roundabouts at each corner. 3 of the 4 are 40mph, the 4th is 30mph but there is no obvious reason for the difference.

    Might be that St. Georges' Way provides pedestrian access to :-
    Swimming Pool; Bowes Lyon House; Town Gardens; St. Georges' Church; Museum; Hotel & Fire & Ambulance Station on one carriageway, and numerous car park entrances and exits on the other plus service access to shops and market. The others have few amenities of that nature or tight junctions. I think the 30mph is justified, albeit little observed and little if any enforcement. If that were made 40mph, expect a median speed of about 45mph.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    almillar wrote: »
    fivetide - this is a bit clearer, thanks, and close to my understanding about when a repeater is, and is not required. I understand that once you're inside a 30 zone, you don't get repeaters.
    I STILL believe, however, that a 30mph dual carraigeway must have repeaters, whether there area lampposts or not, otherwise the national speed limit applies.
    I can't actually think of a dual carraigeway here in NI that has a 30 mph limit in it. Can only think of junctions where there is a clear 30 sign, then speed goes back up again, and there's no space or need for repeaters.

    You are wrong. If there are lampposts at the correct intervals on any road, repeater signs are prohibited.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.