Industrial Workers Office Scamming

Options

Comments

• Helenbak
    Options
    My usual response to those silent start calls is to put the phone down, but this caller was determined to be listened to and called back a few minutes later. So I thought I would give him a few minutes of my time.

Him: I am calling from the National Workers Office and would like to know if you have ever worked in industry.
    Me: Never heard of that office what do you do?
    Him: (Pause) I am calling to find out if you have ever worked in industry.
    Me: Which industry?
    Him: Well, do you remember the miners that got compensation and people in the potteries.
    Me: Yes.
    Him: So have you ever worked in industry.
    Him: Which industry was that?
    Me: Retail.
    Him: Oh! Did you work in any other industry?
    Him: Which industry?
    Me: Financial services.
    Him: Hmmm. Did you ever work in a noisy place?
    Me: (Laughing) No!
    Him: Well then, what about your husband, does he work in a noisy place?
    Me: No.
    Him: Thanks for your time.
    Me: You're welcome.
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    I picked up the phone and heard a lot of voices and beeps. and then someone came on the line and asked if "i had ever worked in a noisy place as i could get compensation"! I said, "no but you obviiusly do and have you ever thought about suing yourself?"
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • richieb123
    richieb123 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 27 January 2014 at 9:59PM
    Options
    My 90yr old Grandfather received a call from them today. He was told the government are giving £5,000 to people who have lost their hearing. After coxing all his personal information from him they've organised a taxi to pick him up for an appointment at the Britannia Hotel in Coventry. He lives by himself, is confused and upset after I explained to him the information I found on this website. They didn't leave a number so have no way of cancelling other than the numbers left on this forum (no answer btw). I've told him not to get in any car when it arrives. He is registered with the TPS but that has obviously made no difference. With so many complaints, ex staff testimonials and even a TV investigation - how is it these people are allowed to stay in business??
  • buspassbabe
    Options
    Received a call from Aran at Industrial workers office. Presumed I was my husband and then said oh you're Mrs..I didn't reply so he hung up. Number withheld. I'm on tps. These guys have got round tps. Will tweet to my MP. They get them too. This followed a call from Brazil. Just too many.
  • friend124
    friend124 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 7 March 2014 at 8:07AM
    Options
    I work at this place and there is nothing wrong with working here it is a hard graft and we work to get people what they deserve if they have worked in anyplace without hearing protection for five years or more it is not a scam and we provide a free no win no fee service. We get a tough deal here and it is not on. We have to open the conversation with something and are only doing our jobs granted some people arn't polite or friendless but you try making a phone call every 20seconds. Like I say it is a hard graft and not making excuses for people but you can lose patience sometimes. Some people think that if they have gone deaf through work that it was just part and parcel of the job and some have never even thought of claiming. There is nothing illegal or immoral in working to get people compensation if they deserve it. If we tell you we got your number from the industrial workers register take it in we are jus being polite as we get the numbers from an automatic dial up system which comes from people that have left their phone numbers on competitions which then goes down on a public record and if you think about it it's just another competition...So we rang you today. Deal with it. Thank you for your time.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    the_farmer wrote: »
    I've just had a call from the Northern 'Lady' .... and I do use that term loosely. She got more than a bit miffed when I kept asking her where she was getting her information from that she supposedly 'held' about me .... more miffed when I asked for more details on the company as to whether they were a private or Government Company (she was at that time trying to make me believe that this was some sort of Government initiative .... yeah right).

Then she told me she was "obliged" to phone me !!! When I asked her on whose behalf was she ... 'obliged' ...to make such calls, she told me that she was obliged by her company to make these calls. Northern Lady then become even more miffed when i told her that imo she had been 'instructed' by her company to phone .... not obliged ... to do so and that furthermore whilst we were on the subject of obligation, what with me being on the TPS, that she was in fact 'obliged' not to phone me ..... not now ... not in the future .... not ever !!!

Stupid woman shouted at me and slammed down the phone ...... what a nerve as I was only starting getting going ... lol. I of course immediately dialled 1471 and guess what ...... correct .... number withheld ! What a shocker and I was therefore unable to further contact Northern Lady to continue the whole discussion about .... obligation .... plus we never did get round to talking about the industrial hearing loss that I have not suffered.

I know its very annoying to get cold calls , and god knows i get enough of them at work .

I always try to be polite to the callers because after all it is a job and not many people have the luxury of choosing to work where they would like , and for a lot of people having any job is a bonus
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • friend124
    Options
    You know something I put something here in our defence yesterday and wonder of wonders it got removed cos they want this site for a place to slate us that work here that don't harangue customers it is a hard graft working in a call centre and never once have I Harangued a customer I ask if it his who I have on my screen and if they don't want to talk to me that's fine I thank them for their time and move onto the next call. Their is nothing wrong with fighting to get customers/people compensation if they truly deserve it some people like I said yesterday ain't never thought about claiming some people have been too soft thinking that it was quote 'part and parcel of their job' some people just sit their and wait for the call to make a claim. I am always polite and friendly on the phone and find that most of the time it is generally us that take most of the abuse. I can't speak for everybody some people trying to 'make everybody's lives easier' are talking about their own as they are trying to hit targets. When we get our training we are told that the calls are recorded and any unproffesionalism can lead to dismissal. I notice on here it is just full of people whining moaning and complaining... these don't include all the people we have helped gain compensation. Sorry if I do not make excuses for what I do but what you do is a lot worse. You haven't ever worked in Industry ok sorry my mistake, thank you for your time. Take Care. Bye, bye.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 March 2014 at 9:04AM
    Options
    I am slightly sympathetic towards your situation, as many goods & services have to be "sold" to lazy consumers, who have not got arountuit and checked the situation for themselves.

However

Do you really know what you are selling; "cognition" as its called in legal circles or are you just collecting leads for another salesman to waste my time ?

Does your phone number come up as a real phone number or "unavailable" or "withheld" ?
    Do you leave a personalised message if you get the telephone answering machine?

Do you have a previous business relationship with me ?
    Do you check the telephone preference service before making the call?

However even if you pass all these tests but drag me out of the bathroom because I am expecting an urgent call and and try to sell me something I already have (eg solar panels, yes they are on the government's database); then expect "Bog off" as an appropriate response.
  • Beardsteve
    Options
    They are still working this one, now claiming to be either the Industrial Workers Office or the Industrial Hearing Office, but they've changed tele number.

You can now contact them on 0161 763 0073 to remind them they are breaking the law re TPS and to ask to be taken off their database. Also worth complaining to TPS because they are persistent offenders.

Hope this helps you all

Cheers

BS
  • DaftAda
    Options
    Yup they're still at it. Called me at 10.00 today - numer witheld (of course). Worryingly they asked for me by name. I'm not in the Phone Book and am registered with TPS. TPS can't take up the complaint because the number is witheld, so you can't complete the TPS form (the usual way such people use to stop you complaining) and the ICO aren't interested because you haven't complained to the TPS! Catch 22! Isn't it about time both these organisations stepped up to the mark in dealing with this lot in particular and the number witheld scamming/marketing brigade in general? Legislation making it illegal to withold numbers for sales/marketing/research purposes (oh, and also transmittimg false telephone numbers as well). :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure