We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Samsung TV Capacitor Defect - not getting anywhere

Options

Comments

• tghe-retford
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »
    What experience, have you had previous problems?
    They explicitly told me that the model that I have is not affected by the defect, when the people I have spoken to have said otherwise. My fear is that I'll be left high and dry because different people I have contacted at Samsung have said different things. All it takes is for that one time for someone there to say no and I am out of pocket and paying for a defect others have not had to.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They explicitly told me that the model that I have is not affected by the defect, when the people I have spoken to have said otherwise. My fear is that I'll be left high and dry because different people I have contacted at Samsung have said different things. All it takes is for that one time for someone there to say no and I am out of pocket and paying for a defect others have not had to.

And the people that are telling you this are doing so not having seen the TV right? Until anybody at Samsung have seen it then all they can really do is speculate.

It's really quite simple and very fair if you ask me......

- After 6 months it is down to you to prove the fault is inherent.
    - The retailer agrees for a fee of £60 to collect and inspect the set.
    - If the fault is inherent they repair free, refund the £60 and return the set.

You are not at a loss.
    There has been minimal inconvenience.
    Problem has been solved.

I don't understand the big deal/
  • tghe-retford
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Until anybody at Samsung have seen it then all they can really do is speculate.
    And I explained several times and linked to another long thread about this defect issue that Samsung have offered free inspection and repair to those affected by the same manufacturing defect that I have, yet won't offer that service to me.

They didn't need to take their TV to a retailer, they just called Samsung on the regular number, as I did, explained their symptoms and without question or hesitation, they sent a engineer to inspect and repair the TV, whereas I have been told to sort it out myself at my cost and *maybe* I will get reimbursed, but considering Samsung's stance, that's not likely imho. There are 100's of posts in the linked thread and posts on this forum stating this, they can't all be wrong!

If I do end up taking the matter into my own hands and taking my friends help in fixing the defect, I'll take photographs of the affected capacitors and consider options from there.
  • arcon5
    edited 4 September 2011 at 10:08PM
    Options
    Linking to other threads and other posts with the same issue isn't proof YOUR set has the same issue. Its pretty much irrelevant, as much so as the reason Samsung won't sort it out for you.

Get the retailer to sort it. IE, get THEM to arrange the inspection/collection for you. They will in effect act as an agent between you and Sumsung -- since your contract is with the retailer and theirs is with samsung, so when the retailer phones them, they are phoning as the customer whereas you are not.
    If it is an inherent fault then you don't have to worry about getting your money back. It will be your right and the retailer will sort this.
  • tghe-retford
    tghe-retford Posts: 984 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 4 September 2011 at 10:21PM
    Options
    Doesn't answer my fear that Samsung will not play fair and I'll be out of pocket. As things stand, I can't take the financial or time pressure of getting this repaired or the TV back. Won't bore you with the personal details but the bottom line is that I am pretty much reliant on myself and have been for about a decade.

I'll wait a few more days to see if the UK service manager replies back, but I think after that it's screwdriver to TV time and new capacitors, as suggested will be going in. Clearly this is going nowhere.

One thing after this farce that I can agree with, I won't be buying another Samsung product again. I know some people will just dismiss as one person can't make a difference, but it's the principle that counts, just like Samsung should honour its commitment to rectify a manufacturing defect for everyone, not just a select lucky few.
  • arcon5
    Options
    Your still missing the point.

:wall:

Your rights are with Currys, not Samsung. Currys would reimburs you your out of pockets.
  • tghe-retford
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Your still missing the point.

:wall:

Your rights are with Currys, not Samsung. Currys would reimburs you your out of pockets.
    So how did all those people get their TV's inspected and repaired out of warranty for free from Samsung direct without going to the retailer or to get a independent report first?

As I said, 100s of people can't be wrong.
  • simon_the_poet
    Options
    antenna wrote: »
    It was the electrolite fluid in the capacitors that was very poor quality and dried out after around 1 year.
    All Thomson digiboxes standard/sky plus and HD had these faulty components and 99% of these digiboxes have failed or will soon..........

Hi

You sound like a tv engineer? are you old enough to remember the simillar fault on the Pace satalite reciever or the Amstrad 4600 before that.

Simon
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    So how did all those people get their TV's inspected and repaired out of warranty for free from Samsung direct without going to the retailer or to get a independent report first?

As I said, 100s of people can't be wrong.

Who cares!? Millions of people are demonstrably wrong every polling day, it means nothing. Maybe Samsung have a new policy, maybe from the serial number of your set they know it is not one from the affected batch, maybe they have sifted through all their customers to pick you out for victimisation, it doesn't matter - anything they do or don't do for you is nothing to do with the legal position. YOUR CONTRACT IS WITH THE RETAILER so they are the ones to talk to. Samsung are a red herring in this, and go back to your legal rights.

Or don't, I don't care, but at least you now know the legal position and can make an informed adult decision :)
  • tghe-retford
    Options
    My legal right is to cough up for a repair that others are getting for free whilst I have to pay potentially a sizeable amount of money that Samsung will not potentially reimburse the retailer for in relation to a manufacturing fault it has admitted to, which means that even with the Sales of Goods Act 1979, I am out of pocket with no practical solution as to how the TV would get back to me (as per personal problems explained above).

I'm going down the self-repair route methinks. Far cheaper and funnily enough, less risky. But thanks for the replies anyway. if you can detect a hint of frustration in my text, that's because it appears now that I would have to pay twice for the TV and sets a dangerous precedent. I say would, because I'm going to fix it with the help of my friend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport