We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Samsung TV Capacitor Defect - not getting anywhere

Options

Comments

• simon_the_poet
    simon_the_poet Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 September 2011 at 7:47PM
    Options
    Hi
    Yes this is a common fault on these sets. It is usually down to leakage in the small 1000 and 2200 uf 10v capacitors on the 12v section of the power supply.
    You can usually tell the guilty party by a swelling on the top of the capacitor. It is as well to change all three capacitors in the group, they will cost you about £1 each from an electronic supplier or silly money from Samsung you need 16volt 1000uf capacitors and 16v 2200 capacitors get a couple of each.
    You will have to have a soldering iron and either a de-soldering tool or solder wick in order to remove the old component. I think you can buy de-soldering tools quite cheaply now, they are like a tube the size of a pack of polo mints, they act like a suction pump and suck up the molten solder from the joint when melted, otherwise you can use solder wick which mops up the molten solder, I have always found this to be a bit messy.
    If you haven’t soldered before I would practice first on a bit of old circuit board, I am sure you will have an old(broken) radio or something you can take the back of and get at the PCB.
    Notice the capacitor you take out will be of a lower rating(!0v) than the ones you put back in (16v) although they will be the same physical size, the reason these components failed in the first place is because they were under rated for the job ( they operate on a twelve volt line).
    If in doubt get a professional in, when I was working I would have charged about £30 to £40 for the job, should take about half an hour but would take an amateur a good while longer.
    Lots of luck
    Simon
  • tghe-retford
    Options
    So from the voices of some in here, looks like I'm buying the capacitors and getting my friend to help me repair it then, considering that I have to pay for the inspection, the repair (considering Samsung's stance), getting someone to get it there, getting it back from Newark, it's going to run into potentially £100's+. Can't afford it.

Although my main point is that it effectively means that a manufacturer can now put a faulty component inside a good and get away with it if they wanted to, with no recourse against them, and earn more from the consumer when the defect occurs. A dangerous precedent in my opinion.
  • tghe-retford
    Options
    Hi
    Yes this is a common fault on these sets. It is usually down to leakage in the small 1000 and 2200 uf 10v capacitors on the 12v section of the power supply.
    You can usually tell the guilty party by a swelling on the top of the capacitor. It is as well to change all three capacitors in the group, they will cost you about £1 each from an electronic supplier or silly money from Samsung you need 16volt 1000uf capacitors and 16v 2200 capacitors get a couple of each.
    You will have to have a soldering iron and either a de-soldering tool or solder wick in order to remove the old component. I think you can buy de-soldering tools quite cheaply now, they are like a tube the size of a pack of polo mints, they act like a suction pump and suck up the molten solder from the joint when melted, otherwise you can use solder wick which mops up the molten solder, I have always found this to be a bit messy.
    If you haven’t soldered before I would practice first on a bit of old circuit board, I am sure you will have an old(broken) radio or something you can take the back of and get at the PCB.
    Notice the capacitor you take out will be of a lower rating(!0v) than the ones you put back in (16v) although they will be the same physical size, the reason these components failed in the first place is because they were under rated for the job ( they operate on a twelve volt line).
    If in doubt get a professional in, when I was working I would have charged about £30 to £40 for the job, should take about half an hour but would take an amateur a good while longer.
    Lots of luck
    Simon
    Thanks for that. My friend I mentioned before has had experience with using a soldering iron and has said to me that he is more than happy to do the work for me, just need to get the capacitors ordered.

Just seems a shame that people have to resort to opening up their TVs in order to fix a blatant oversight in the manufacturing process which Samsung should rightly make right as a kind gesture to everyone, not just some.
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It was the electrolite fluid in the capacitors that was very poor quality and dried out after around 1 year.
    All Thomson digiboxes standard/sky plus and HD had these faulty components and 99% of these digiboxes have failed or will soon..........
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,729 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 September 2011 at 8:15PM
    Options
    I had a similar fault in my Samsung 40" LCD a couple of months ago. I raised a support call online on samsung's helpdesk system. Even though the TV was 4 years old they said that I could have a free inspection and if it was the CAPS that failed they would replace them (or the board) for free too.

As it happens I already had suitable capacitors so I replaced them myself to save waiting in for a day. Including removing and replacing all the screws in the case (there are many) it took about 20 minutes.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,729 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Forgot to say, if yout friend is doing it, just remember there are one or two large caps on that board that you really wouldn't want to be shorting on yourself when charged up.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    But OP you have annoyed the Samsung CS desk now and since you have no contract with them they are basically telling you to get lost.

Now if the fault is as described then take it up with the retailer, have the TV inspected at your cost, this will then be refunded and your TV repaired when they agree with you. Simples...
  • simon_the_poet
    simon_the_poet Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 September 2011 at 8:54PM
    Options
    Oh samsung offer a twelve month warrantee on large screen LCDs.

Simon
  • tghe-retford
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    Forgot to say, if yout friend is doing it, just remember there are one or two large caps on that board that you really wouldn't want to be shorting on yourself when charged up.
    Should mention if not already, the TV has been unplugged for over a week, but he is aware of the dangers of capacitors. He's also done the same research as me on the fault so will be sure of what to expect prior to work being done.
    Hintza wrote: »
    But OP you have annoyed the Samsung CS desk now and since you have no contract with them they are basically telling you to get lost.

Now if the fault is as described then take it up with the retailer, have the TV inspected at your cost, this will then be refunded and your TV repaired when they agree with you. Simples...
    Except Samsung are unlikely to agree based on previous experience, and my fear is that I'll be out of pocket on what is a manufacturing defect as explained above, when other people (many from the UK here, although this is a global problem: http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=190198) have contacted Samsung directly out of warranty and had it inspected and repaired for free.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Except Samsung are unlikely to agree based on previous experience,

What experience, have you had previous problems?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport