What to do when a partner/spouse dies.

Options

Comments

• hyersal
    hyersal Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2012 at 2:38PM
    Options
    Hello Stillookinafterthepennies, I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

While I have not directly suffered the tragic loss you have I have recently been using this thread for advice as I am supporting a good friend who has suffered a bereavement. I have been handling a majority of the paperwork and phonecalls in the same way you are and just wanted to reitterate that you can take your time. My friend felt everything should be done as soon as possible but everyone we have spoken to has been very understanding and given my friend lots of time. Not everything has gone smoothly but the people involved have been very helpful and respectful and no one has rushed her.

I am not grieving to the same extent you are and I still found sorting everything out very draining and difficult so I can only imagine how hard it must be for you. Please take your time and look after yourself during this very difficult time and if people offer to help it may be difficult to say yes (my friend is proud and didnt want help to start with) but please consider their offers.

Take care
  • Thank you all for your replies & condolences...
    I haven't been able to do much in the last couple of days i've been cleaning the house instead, just feel it helps in some way to cope.

I have to attend a sickness review next week and need to prepare for that but just can't think of it atm. I saw one of the New drs at the practice and he was lovely very understanding told me that work should not be calling me in for this at the moment but i'm too scared to tell them that at work incase it goes against me.
    Thanks again for your support.

Bless you all

xx
  • leeloo
    Options
    it is a very sad thread, although may be helpful for some people...
    This question What to do when a partner/spouse dies? is a rhetorical one and has no good answer because you don't want to do anything when such horrible things happen...((
  • toadhall
    toadhall Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I lost my mum very suddenly 8 weeks ago (she was late for work and the police found her on the floor in her bedroom). As executor I dealt with police interviews, coroners, paperwork etc in the space of a few days, my brother was away on holiday with small children so I told him to stay.
    I didnt think to look on here for advice. I used the direct.gov site which was very helpful.
    Apart from the awful hole she left, the whole thing has been relatively easy, just getting the last assets into the executor account I set up and then it will be split in half. Just got the inquest in a couple of weeks as it was sudden death.
    I am so sorry for the dreadful experiences some people on here have had and you have my sympathy. I feel very lucky to have had no major problems, there are still a few weepy days as we were very close, but I'm getting there and so will you.
  • Rsrohit
    Options
    I am really Sorry Dear.
    I can't any inform to you about this issue. but please at this Xmas you worn a special candle form him.
    Take Care.
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    Rsrohit wrote: »
    I am really Sorry Dear.
    I can't any inform to you about this issue. but please at this Xmas you worn a special candle form him.
    Take Care.
    :spam: reported.
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • kevin14433
    Options
    Every family faces a unique set of challenges after the death of a loved one/spouse and although it's a difficult time. You really "don't know what you don't know" and you could end up leaving your family in a world of hurt if you don't get matters taken care of.
    [FONT=&quot]So at that time we should take a deep breath and start thinking how to survive the challenges without the spouse. You should be perfectly prepare for all the challenges.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Thanks,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Kevin
    [/FONT]
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Post 570 by sunny******* :spam: reported
  • JaneTalks101
    Options
    My dad passed away last March 2013, death is a part of life and knowing that does not make it less painful. I talked to my sister and friends about how I felt, they listened and allowed me to let it all out, talking made me feel better. I keep myself busy to prevent myself from dwelling on the sad things. Give yourself time to grieve over your loss. Exercising really helps me remove the negative tension from my body. I'm still in the healing process, I accept what happened but i still miss him.
  • Emily005
    Options
    That is something each of us will face.
    That is a pain that no one can fell.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business