Things You Never Thought You Could Sell

Options

Comments

• annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how did you manage to post the perfume? I've got a few bottles I'd like to try and sell but was told that you couldn't send perfume via royal mail anymore? :(

You can send perfume but the size is restricted;

Including eau de parfum, eau de toilette and alcohol-free perfumes, but excluding non-flammable perfumed creams, gels, oils or lotions.

Volume per item must not exceed 150ml. No more than four perfumes or aftershaves can be sent in any one package. The perfume or aftershave must be within its original retail packaging and then placed in strong outer packaging. The inner packagings must be packed, secured or cushioned to prevent breakage or leakage of their contents into the outer packaging.

An ID8000 label must be applied ( see example ID8000 label Opens in new window ). The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

from: http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Restricted-Goods
  • billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Hello,

This weekend, 23-24 November 2013, private sellers who list up to 100 auction-style listing(s) at a starting price of £1.00 or more in an eligible category on eBay.co.uk, will not pay an insertion fee*. Additional listing fees still apply e.g. for adding subtitles."
  • AshleyPomeroy
    Options
    Been having a big declutter over the past few months and have sold a fair bit. Some of the more unusual were:

- Expired camera films. Sold two lots of these. All several years past their 'expiry' date. Sold two last week for £2 plus postage.

That's interesting - I've been shooting film a lot over the last year or so, and expired film is a good way of getting hold of cheap film, 'cause it generally lasts way past the expiry date. Especially black and white.

Colour tends to fade but you can combat that by boosting the exposure, viz this shot which was taken with some Kodak Portra 160 that expired in (I think) 1997:

8191629234_a4e600d351_c.jpg

In this case you can see a faint wavy purple line running across the middle of the image, which is baffling (I assume some kind of light leak in the camera).

My most unexpected sale was this Olympus filter, which fetched £15, I assume because it has a neat plastic case and the photograph was (a) sharp (b) in focus:

dzf9.jpg
  • dipashah
    dipashah Posts: 419 Forumite
    Options
    Free listing for 4 days!!

28th Nov- 1st Dec

private sellers who list up to 100 auction-style listing(s) at a starting price of £1.00 or more in an eligible category on eBay.co.uk, will not pay an insertion fee *Additional listing fees still apply e.g. for adding subtitles."
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I've just found this thread.

I'll read more of it later, but I do agree, it's amazing what you can sell / what people will buy on eBay.

I've been decluttering a lot over the last few years, and before I chuck anything out I always check to see if there's an eBay market for it.

My recent favourites include a hideous 1960's nodding cat, that belonged to my my mother in law. All the covering felt on the body had worn away, and it wouldn't nod anymore. I put all that in the listing and got a tenner for it.

I found a small old key in my mums belongings. It looked like an old wardrobe key. Got a fiver for that.

So then I tried some keys I had collected over the years from previous houses and our doors at this house, before we had them replaced. Just normal bog standard modern keys - got a tenner for them.

It's great to start something at 99p and see where it goes. Not so good if it ends at 99p, though!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Free listing this weekend
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/promos/1258/

This is showing as an advert in lh sidebar when you view your Summary page. Not showing at all in General Announcements.
  • Superdad
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    It's great to start something at 99p and see where it goes. Not so good if it ends at 99p, though!

Thing to do is use weekends like this one when listings are free for private sellers, then you can start your listings a bit higher. I have a few items that are not going to sell in a hurry but I am not prepared to sell them for 99p. So I just relist everything on a free weekend. It's only a single mouse click to relist.

regards

Brian
  • billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tgroom57 wrote: »
    Free listing this weekend
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/promos/1258/

This is showing as an advert in lh sidebar when you view your Summary page. Not showing at all in General Announcements.
    Thanks very much for that. I had a look on the announcements page yesterday and disappointed that it wasn't mentioned. Will get ebaying now!
  • heatherks
    Options
    i as about to put a boxset of the oxford learning tree books ( biff chip kipper ) on freecycle as would cost too much to post on ebay as well as ebay charges and went on to search for picture to add onto description
    when i noticed a link to amazon trade in //sell . i posted it on Monday last week and .i recieved £ 22-60 giftcard on Friday which was way more than i'd have got on ebay

will have a look and see what else i have now ... :)
  • Wings_of_Ambition
    Options
    Hey all,

Just a quick one to say that if ever there was a great time to get rid of that stuff that normally wouldn't sell, I reckon it's now! I had a watch that I won at work 2 years ago. Stuck it on eBay tonight with a reasonable price (but still 80% of RRP), and it sold to a guy in Italy within an hour!

You don't need to be overly descriptive in your description, but make sure you mention any defects or damage, set a reasonable price, use Buy It Now so people can buy it straight away for Christmas, offer an express delivery option (Special Delivery, for example), and price postage accordingly. Remember that eBay take 10% of both final sale price AND postage, so factor that in too.

Be quick and good luck!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure