~Avon Hints & Tips (Part 8) ~ Please read first post :)

Options

Comments

• lozza1985
    lozza1985 Posts: 3,373 Forumite
    Options
    MC, just taken this little snippet from one of your responses. Is there a set amount of average sales required to obtain further territory or would a SL just look at the sales in relation to the rest of the team? What does a SL call 'good' sales (rather than from a reps POV)?

I think what MC was referring to was that Avon have figures that they expect reps to get from certain streets (how they work it out I'll never know, half the time they expect far more sales than you actually get) - if a reps sales figures are way down compared to what they "should" get for those streets - it usually indicates that they aren't canvassing properly if there figures are always way down - in which case, why should they get extra streets compared to a rep who would canvass. It does take a bit of judgment to, and at the end of the day, getting streets transferred is at the asms decision, as a sl we can only ask.
    Avon Lady since 2009 - I help on the Avon hints & tips thread to help other reps/new sales leaders as I was helped so much by it when I first started out :A
  • MarsdenCuckoo
    Options
    nicki wrote: »
    Well it was semi successful. She rang me to check what I'd said & informed me that some of the roads I said were mine weren't according to the system! Oh well, that was sorted out quite easily. Then the roads I wanted to do are partly being covered by a new rep who hasn't put an order through yet (missed the last one due to being ill), so I've been given some of them, but not all.:rotfl: I said I'd take them on but not cover them this time, until she can contact the other rep and see whether they're leaving or not.

I said I'd be happy to try any roads as long as they were pretty local to up my income, she then suggested I might like to become a SL or do parties. Neither of which are right for me just now but I said its something I would consider in a few years. I'd rather just stick with being a rep and having lots of streets :)

Well done, nicki; glad you're moving in the right direction. Just keep in touch with your ASM (half the battle is forming a good working relationship with your ASM; their support is priceless) and as your sales grow, hopefully, she will be able to allocate further territory to you.
    Make the most of everything in life (especially Avon ;))
  • MarsdenCuckoo
    Options
    Hi MM,

Yes, Lozza is spot on (as usual! :)). All streets are evaluated by Avon (am guessing it's based on past territory reps' orders for those streets but that IS a total guess) - information includes the no. of houses, no. of potential customers and the campaign order value expected by the territory rep covering that street. This gives the ASM a guide as to whether a rep is 'performing' well and justifies her removing territory from one rep and allocating it to another one.

Your upliner can copy you with that information if you ask (actually I suggest to my SLs that they always copy the new rep with the information at the outset) and then you will be able to compare your actual results to those expected by Avon. 'Information is power' in my book so it all helps a rep figure out if they would be successful asking for additional streets or whether they need to relinquish certain streets before asking for different ones i.e. if available.

MCx
  • I,_Geek
    I,_Geek Posts: 831 Forumite
    Options
    Avon's expectations from streets

The customer rate is always 1 in 3 houses/apartments, so there doesn't seem to be much science behind that. I'm currently at 16% being customers, which is half of what Avon expects.

The order value varies, though. So if you've got 2 streets 9 houses long with 3 (apparently) customers there, one street can say it'll bring in £20 per campaign and the other street can say £30. They must go off the socio-economic category people are in - A1 and so forth... (or whatever it is. I can't quite remember how they do it).

I got some extra streets added before the end of my first campaign, but I think that was mostly down to no new reps having been signed up in the village for ages. And the village was under-saturated anyway. At the time they couldn't have known I would stick it out, but they had nothing to lose.

I've also been able to add new streets on when requested even though my customer numbers and sales are way below what Avon expects. I've never skipped a campaign and order plenty of brochures because I only use them once per campaign - so that activity on my account is a good sign. My total area was, until recently, 600 houses and I've been ordering 55 brochures of each campaign to cover a "settled" round (i.e. major canvassing finished with). I order more when doing a re-canvas. My direct upline is the ASM so maybe that has something to do with it (i.e. my sales benefit her).
    I used to have my Avon turnover (sales) here. They've been removed because it's not appropriate to talk about those kinds of sales as if they're realistic for a new Rep to aim for. :( I signed up at the right time, right place, and was very lucky.
  • qwertykeys92
    Options
    I've searched the forum but no answer came up, so I'm sorry if this has been asked before!

Could I ask- when I receive orders from customers, do I have to pay Avon first to get the goods that they've ordered, and then keep the money that the customer pays me, or does Avon just send out the order, then I send them the money the customer pays and Avon then pays me my percentage? I'm sorry if this sounds confusing - I'd like to know how the system works!
  • MarsdenCuckoo
    Options
    I've searched the forum but no answer came up, so I'm sorry if this has been asked before!

Could I ask- when I receive orders from customers, do I have to pay Avon first to get the goods that they've ordered, and then keep the money that the customer pays me, or does Avon just send out the order, then I send them the money the customer pays and Avon then pays me my percentage? I'm sorry if this sounds confusing - I'd like to know how the system works!

No probs, Lozza has given lots of details re. the mechanics of how Avon works on the first page of this thread but just to reassure you, all Avon reps have a credit line with Avon - goods are sent out with an invoice, which needs to be paid within 13 days of date of invoice. That gives you ample time to get your orders delivered out to your customers, get your money in, pay Avon and what you're left with is yours. :)
  • qwertykeys92
    Options
    Cool, thank you MarsdenCuckoo, that's really helpful. I read the first page, but I tend to get very mixed up with things and not really understand what I'm reading!! Plus I wanted to be sure in case I thought it was different to how it really is and ended up not being able to pay.

Thank you!
  • MarsdenCuckoo
    Options
    You're very welcome; you'll get loads of help on here.

If you're interested in Avon products at all - even as a customer - then it's well worth giving it a try. You won't earn a great deal as a rep but it will supplement your household income by your being able to click into free/discounted products; it gives you something to do and you'll make lots of new friends as well as get some free exercise - all without it costing you a penny! It's a no-brainer :j Really don't know why everyone's not an Avon rep! :rotfl:
  • claregre
    claregre Posts: 607 Forumite
    Options
    Well, just paid my last Avon bill after doing all my returns - a grand total of £1.86!

I did my last campaign just before Christmas and have decided to finish as a rep.

To cut a long story short, from an Avon point of view, my customers and orders were dropping and what I really needed to do was canvas more territory. Sadly I've found that I just don't have the time any more, so it is fairer to give the territory (and customers) over to someone else who'll be able to give it more time and energy.

(I sound like I am giving up a dog for adoption now!)

There'll be some customers I miss, some I keep in touch with on a personal basis, and some I won't miss(!), but overall I've really enjoyed my time as a rep.

Do I get the prize for being the only rep to do over 2 years service and never have a leakage in a box? I was surprised myself that I was that lucky!!

Thank you loads and loads to everyone on here who has helped me, both at the beginning and over the last couple of years - you are all priceless in giving good advice and confidence to all those new reps out there.

Good luck to everyone in their Avon careers!

Clare xx

PS My ASM did not respond at all to the email I sent her to advise I was resigning, except for to ask me why I didn't put in a C3 order? !! Some things never change ....
  • MarsdenCuckoo
    Options
    Oh dear, Clare, you're not on your own re. sales having taken a dive since Christmas though.....

Totally up to you whether you actually keep your a/c open - you can be a 'Personal Rep' i.e. just order every 2nd/3rd campaign out of your Hello Tomorrow, which means you will still click into discounted products without needing to hit MOV. So long as your order is £10+ you'll get free delivery and, of course, free returns via the carrier.

Quite often reps do miss doing Avon - if only for their own benefit - so no need to rush to resign as such..... just keep your options open.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback