Buying funds via direct debits

edited 19 August 2011 at 10:31AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
13 replies 1.1K views
RobStaffsRobStaffs Forumite
307 Posts
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 19 August 2011 at 10:31AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
Does anyone do this ?Up until recently I used to purchase in lump sums but now have moved to monthly purchase over a range of funds..On a seperate issue would FTSE tracker funds be a good option at present?

Replies

• sorcerersorcerer Forumite
    878 Posts
    Yep I do this, and have done for several years, I use the technique of pound cost averging to buy my funds. That why I don't have to try to time the market which is almost impossible to do.
  • RobStaffsRobStaffs Forumite
    307 Posts
    ✭✭
    sorcerer wrote: »
    Yep I do this, and have done for several years, I use the technique of pound cost averging to buy my funds. That why I don't have to try to time the market which is almost impossible to do.

would be grateful if you could explain what pound cost av is?
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    On a seperate issue would FTSE tracker funds be a good option at present?

What FTSE tracker funds in particular? How would they fit with your risk profile and objectives?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    307 Posts
    ✭✭
    dunstonh wrote: »
    What FTSE tracker funds in particular? How would they fit with your risk profile and objectives?

My risk profile at present is 50% in Balanced Funds,35% in Cautious Funds and the remainder in UK Equity and Corporate Bonds.All in about £36k.Even at the most optimistic I cant see these recovering to give me what I originally expected.The combined cummulative growth is still about 10% but the last few weeks have really taken their toll.I am not too sure about the tracker fund.Probably a FTSE all share one.
    106.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    RobStaffs wrote: »
    My risk profile at present is 50% in Balanced Funds,35% in Cautious Funds and the remainder in UK Equity and Corporate Bonds.All in about £36k.Even at the most optimistic I cant see these recovering to give me what I originally expected.The combined cummulative growth is still about 10% but the last few weeks have really taken their toll.I am not too sure about the tracker fund.Probably a FTSE all share one.

at the moment you have some portfolio funds that already invest in areas around the world. You have decided already to increase your UK exposure with a UK equity fund and reduce the volatility with corp bond funds. Why do you want to increase your UK equity exposure further?

For reference, most of the model portfolio data supplied to IFAs has been reducing UK equity exposure for the last few years across most risk profiles. You are doing the reverse of that. What is it about UK equity that you find particularly attractive?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    307 Posts
    ✭✭
    at the moment you have some portfolio funds that already invest in areas around the world. You have decided already to increase your UK exposure with a UK equity fund and reduce the volatility with corp bond funds. Why do you want to increase your UK equity exposure further?

For reference, most of the model portfolio data supplied to IFAs has been reducing UK equity exposure for the last few years across most risk profiles. You are doing the reverse of that. What is it about UK equity that you find particularly attractive?

You are assuming I am well informed.Some of my ISA's have been very long term with one at least returning 35%.. I am learning day by day. I am not looking for massive returns but willing to take a bit of risk.I tend to select my funds using league tables for funds and managers.I have a natural aversion to higher risk investment .In terms of the UK then I am holding out for the Govts austerity measures to actually make the UK a safe haven for investors.I understand we are in a Global economy and all that but I am making the simplistic assumption that the FTSE might be recover on the back of a better UK economy.
    106.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You are assuming I am well informed.

Yes. To be picking single sector funds indicates that you would typically be working to some strategy. That or its random hit and hope ;)
    I have a natural aversion to higher risk investment

Developed world equity has been increasing in risk over the last few years whilst emerging countries risk has slightly fallen back in risk. Just in the last quarter, Financial Express reported that UK equity was pushing up in risk further.

How you invest is totally up to you. If you have reasons and a strategy for your investments and you are happy with that then fine. However, do remember that the world is a big place and the UK is a small island and most of the growth potential (and failure potential) is not in the UK. It is been a very very long time since UK equity has rated well in the performance figures.
    307 Posts
    ✭✭
    Yes. To be picking single sector funds indicates that you would typically be working to some strategy. That or its random hit and hope ;)

Developed world equity has been increasing in risk over the last few years whilst emerging countries risk has slightly fallen back in risk. Just in the last quarter, Financial Express reported that UK equity was pushing up in risk further.

How you invest is totally up to you. If you have reasons and a strategy for your investments and you are happy with that then fine. However, do remember that the world is a big place and the UK is a small island and most of the growth potential (and failure potential) is not in the UK. It is been a very very long time since UK equity has rated well in the performance figures.

Appreciate your comments.Just checking my funds(excluding Corporate Bond) again then it is further broken down to

UK Equities 43%
    International Equities(mainly US) 21%
    UK Gilts 14.6%
    Cash 6%
    UK Bonds 4.9%
    Unclassified Funds 4.9%
    International Bonds 3.5
    Others

Might freshen it up a bit moving forward.Any ideas? :)
    106.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    RobStaffs wrote: »
    Appreciate your comments.Just checking my funds(excluding Corporate Bond) again then it is further broken down to

UK Equities 43%
    International Equities(mainly US) 21%
    UK Gilts 14.6%
    Cash 6%
    UK Bonds 4.9%
    Unclassified Funds 4.9%
    International Bonds 3.5
    Others

Might freshen it up a bit moving forward.Any ideas? :)

To give you an indication of my current portfolio allocations, a risk 7 out of 10 portfolio has 14% allocated to UK equity. Risk 6 has 12% allocated to UK equity. Risk 9 doesnt have any UK equity. Risk 6-7 is consistent with most balanced managed funds to give you some context.

If I look back two years, UK equity was 21% on a risk 7 portfolio. So, you can see the scale of the reduction.

I am not saying the actuaries I use are correct and will give you a better position. However, it does give you something to think about.
    307 Posts
    ✭✭
    To give you an indication of my current portfolio allocations, a risk 7 out of 10 portfolio has 14% allocated to UK equity. Risk 6 has 12% allocated to UK equity. Risk 9 doesnt have any UK equity. Risk 6-7 is consistent with most balanced managed funds to give you some context.

If I look back two years, UK equity was 21% on a risk 7 portfolio. So, you can see the scale of the reduction.

I am not saying the actuaries I use are correct and will give you a better position. However, it does give you something to think about.

Thanks.How would I get my risk score for my portfolio.All of my funds withthe exception of 2 are invested via the H_L Facility.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals