Support thread for parents of chilldren sitting the transfer test in 2011

Options

Comments

• beccasmum
    Options
    Thanks flymetothemoon
    This gives me a little hope as Dalriada is the only grammar in our nearest town about 4 miles away. Just hope the cut off doesn't jump back up to 104 as it was when my DD did the first AQE tests 2 years ago. My DS is so calm about this whole thing that he is driving me mad, I am finding it impossible to remain calm but I am trying not to tell him my thoughts, I just want him to join his big sister next September as they are really close and I think it would be nice for them to be at the same school. Ahh well here's hoping it all works out for the best.:j
  • 36square
    Options

Colerain Inst intake was 10 Q1s, 14 Q2s, 18 Q3s, 27 Q4s and 31 Q5s plus 12 pupils who did not sit the test. It also accepted pupils using non-academis criteria.

Hope this cheers you up as it's as lot better than for the 3 grammar schools where I live, where last year's lowest accepted scores were 96, 97 & 99 with no exceptions other than a few kids with special needs.

Are you being serious? What's the point of a selective school (eg Coleraine Inst) when anybody who applies can get in even if they didn't bother to sit the test! Do you really think that's better?
  • dee1000
    dee1000 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    beccasmum wrote: »
    Thanks flymetothemoon
    My DS is so calm about this whole thing that he is driving me mad, I am finding it impossible to remain calm but I am trying not to tell him my thoughts:j

Beccasmum

I know the feeling lol it seems to be me who is panicing. Since the first test she is sooo laid back about the whole thing. and I am thinking but its not over yet :(
    Maybe its better this way :rotfl:

Denise X
  • beccasmum
    Options
    36square
    I know what you mean and I hope my DS gets enough to go to Dalriada which is an over subscribed school that tends to reject about 75 applicants each year. This year will be no exception as they have over 200 sitting the test and as we do not have a big choice of schools they are most likely all looking for one of the 125 places. Coleraine Inst however doesn't seem to have that problem and so have to fill their places with whoever applies, unforunately I think they are doing themselves harm as brighter kids are tending to travel to Dalriada where the entrance cut offs are higher and classes are not streamed. This is such a pity because I know boys at Inst who have come out with great results and the fact that you can stay on until A level gives it the edge over our local High school. This is all stuff we as parents have to decide when the results come out in February but first we have to get our kids over these first hurdles and at the end of the day we all just want the best for them.
  • dprovan
    dprovan Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

did not catch the belfast telegraph can anyone let me know what the schools in ballymena took: Ballymena Academy, Cambridge House and Slemish College
  • flymetothemoon_2
    Options
    dprovan wrote: »
    Hi

did not catch the belfast telegraph can anyone let me know what the schools in ballymena took: Ballymena Academy, Cambridge House and Slemish College

Hi dprovan

Hope it went well this morning. Bel tel has quoted the following info for Ballymena schools: -

Ballymena Academy (GL) - Lowest score accepted was 226. Received 194 applications, admitted 177. Intake equated to 140 As, 27 B1s & 9 B2s.

Slemish College (GL) - Does not use scores in its admissions criteria. Received 224 applications, admitted 120.Intake was 22 As, 10 B1s, 10 B2s and another 78 pupils were admitted using non-academic criteria.

Cambridge House (AQE) - Lowest score accepted was 88. Received 202 applications, admitted 140.

Good luck
  • bigaves
    Options
    Hi there!
    My son sat his 2nd test today and said it was as easy as the first!
    I am worried because he is a real borderline case :eek:
    His teacher said to expect between 92 and 106! So he's covered all basis there.
    Generally in tests hes getting low to mid 70s so hes Mr Average.
    Can someone please post the marks for last year for Carrick Grammar, Belfast High, Larne Grammar and BRA?
    Many Thanks
  • mummy_maggie
    Options
    Hi

My ds set the second transfer test today aswell he said that it was not as bad as he was expecting but slightly harder than the first. Lots of people had told him that he probably would run out of time and not get it finished but he said he was finished with 15 minutes left:eek: most in his class were finished this early swell.
  • Catherine_:]
    Options
    My brother sat the second test this morning and he said it was harder than the first one but he finished with 15 mins left
  • travellinglight_2
    Options
    Really wish I could see the Tele article. Can anyone tell me the scores for Grosvenor; Aquinas; Wellington; RBAI and Lagan (grammar stream)
    thanks!;)
    2014 reach my best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family