Have grasped the nettle..........now to deal with the ensuing rash

Options

Comments

• Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Today is one of those quirky number days - consecutive odd numbers 09.11.13
    Apparently not due round again for eons...........it was suggested that today we do something 'odd' in its honour - so I am giving the house an Autumn Clean :) I am home alone today so making good use of the time - having a break for few mins on here ;) - time that is usually sucked away by the demands of others on it and as I get older its becoming more of a :mad: with me.
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Igamogam
    Options
    Super sunny bright Autumn day here. Managed o get 3 lines of washing dried this weekend. Done a bit of gardening - found some packets of crocuses I had forgotten about during my Autumn Clean - they have started sprouting but I have thrown them in - I am sure they will be OK :) Garden is still full of colour and today full of butterflies too! We have had some amazing displays of fungi so far this Autumn too......huge red spotty ones ( I know deadly) but gorgeous to look at. Lots of yellow and purple ones too making lovely fairy rings on the lawn.

Managed to use £7.76 of T*sco tokens ( the ones given at the till) off today's shop - coming in at around £52 for the week.........Have a feeling we will run out of fruit and veg by Thursday though but the budget is looking tight so I am not going to be tempted to go shopping again until Friday. Trying to use up food stores and would love a sub £50 weekly shop !

I regularly read this blog here and the last few posts have been very thought provoking - especially about Christmas, children and debt and how they got rid of massive debts in a short space of time.........Have to say I think they are 'driven' and I am not so sure I would have the same commitment/passion - but I do share some of their thoughts on Christmas, children and debt etc but at times also want to shout at the scream 'you generalise too much' ! But very interesting reading none the less and some excellent tips thrown in for good measure :)
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
  • Igamogam
    Options
    On a bit of a hamster wheel here at the moment - work and domestic! Getting nowhere very fast!
  • Igamogam
    Options
    Not in work now until Monday:j Combination of training course and working from home day - my weekend starts here effectively;) Also OH away for a few days and I always seem to get through so much more when left to my own devices - DD2 still needs ferrying around but one regular weekly event will be done by other parents doing the lifts this week :) Now I really must not squander this time..........

Have had yet another hospital appt today and consultant has now passed me onto another dept..............beginning to think the persistent headaches will never go away:(

All bills paid but not enough money and too much month left - going to be tight . Definitely food stores for rest of month as much as possible.
  • Igamogam
    edited 15 November 2013 at 2:20PM
    Options
    IMHO once you have seen one rally car whizz past than you have seen them all ..............especially in the dark;) Sorry to all motor sport enthusiasts.
  • Igamogam
    edited 15 November 2013 at 3:55PM
    Options
    Crikey its cold here today - heating is cranked up - all a bit damp and drizzley. Snow on the way too
    well I dont mind snow :) Did a fruit and veg shop in Ald! today - my friend swears by the place - I am still not convinced. Trolley ( small) load came to £30 and I didnt get any carrots as they where in either huge bags or tiddley bags and the grapes looked a little 'tired'.:( I am not convinced because looking at it I am sure I would spend the same in Tesc* and I would have got carrots and grapes plus everything else without doing a two place shop! Why did everybody else's trolleys ( overflowing large ones) come in at much less or slightly more than mine - its always the case when I go into discount places - everybody spends diddly squat on oodles of stuff and my trolley is always twice as much and not a complete shop! I did buy some local produced sausage by our favourite family butcher which where cheaper than when I buy them from Tesc*.I will keep trying.............
  • Igamogam
    edited 24 November 2013 at 8:08PM
    Options
    Have been crunching numbers today and looking back at some earlier posts...............just over 12 months since I had a mini LBM and fessed up to the around about 20K of debt. At that time I promised myself to look at the debt in chunks - colour squares in and tick it off in percentages etc etc Did start off well but that all went by the wayside. I have however stuck with PADs and collected coins in various jars have discovered the wonders of cash-in-envelopes and shopped in cheaper food stores. Have certainly stopped spending on not needed items and kinda been more vigilant as to where every penny is going. Very few meals out and I cant remember the last time I went to the cinema - 12 months ago we would go every other week. All this has brought to debt down by about 2K and if I have TBH I am pleased but disappointed all at the same time! Kinda feel have gone through a lot of hard work for very little gain:(

Its all in the right direction I guess. I am going to pick up the colouring squares/percentage thing again - I am a visual sort of person so that may well keep me a little more focussed and I have found,during my never ending clearing and decluttering, some nice zip up purses which are going to replace the 'envelopes':D

Thinking about it more I am guessing the cost of everything has gone up too - although we have low energy bills we do have high car fuel costs and food is generally more expensive - so it feels like I have been chasing my tail a bit: cutting back but still costs spiral. Make sense??

Thinking cap on and a concerted effort now until the end of the year to colour in some more of those pesky squares - determined to make it much sooner than the 5.2 years my figures are predicting it will take to shift this debt.
  • jet9cat
    jet9cat Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    edited 25 November 2013 at 7:34PM
    Options
    Igamogam wrote: »
    All this has brought to debt down by about 2K and if I have TBH I am pleased but disappointed all at the same time! Kinda feel have gone through a lot of hard work for very little gain:(

Thinking about it more I am guessing the cost of everything has gone up too - although we have low energy bills we do have high car fuel costs and food is generally more expensive - so it feels like I have been chasing my tail a bit: cutting back but still costs spiral. Make sense??

Totally makes sense to me. I seem to spend my life going one step forwards and 9//10th of the way back again, usually due to no fault of my own - ie utility price rises, no pay rise, car costs (got to have car as OH s/e maintenance/building worker and impossible to take all tools on bus!!:rotfl:) It's so frustrating, as you say, putting loads of effort in only to feel like you're just about standing still. I have to keep reminding myself how very much worse it woiuld be if I wasn't putting the effort in but I long for the day when my finances are simpler and there isn't a constant juggling act going on to make it all work. Mind, I have the same problem with weight loss - I want to notice the difference immediately when I have been good or done extra exercise!!:)

Keep your chin up

jet9cat
    Every penny's a prisoner
    PADding is addictive
    MFW August 2023 - unless I get my butt into gear :D
  • Igamogam
    Options
    Had hoped that my weekend would start here but boss not well and there is a heap of paperwork to catch up on and mad frogs queuing up at the door......what is going on????? So going into work tomorrow but locking myself away in what we call the 'bunker' with a packet of biscuits a 'bOOger off' sign on the door and crack on so at least the rest of the weekend will be free :)

May well be colouring in one of those little squares soon too!
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hope you can get your colouring pencils out soon!

Keep on trucking lass..any dent on the debt, especially with such rising prices, is to be applauded. Well done :j
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback