PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Neighbour Problems!!

Options

Comments

• jojo1964
    jojo1964 Posts: 902 Forumite
    Options
    Bloody hell, we are talking about a 7 year old having a kick around in his own back garden, the neighbour has obviously had a problem with previous residents, and if elderly is probably a grumpy old woman, ignore and carry on.

When i first moved into my house, the first and only thing our neighbour said was "this is a nice quiet area and we would like to keep it that way"

One way to put ones back up.
    Thankyou Sir Alex for 26 years
  • Pink_butterfly_3
    Options
    I agree with a majority of posters. How DARE your son play football in his own garden. I think you, as parents, should be put in jail and your son should be put to work down the mines.

On a serious note, there is nothing worse than living next door to a dog that barks constantly day and night. That ruins the peace about a billion times more than a child occasionally kicking a football over a fence. I can't begin to tell you how Many times the constant barking next door to me has almost driven me to throw poison over the fence just to get some freaking peace (not that I ever would mind).
    What the Deuce?
  • sp1987
    sp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    Options
    Stop the idiotic adults from playing if they cannot stop themselves repeatedly kicking a ball over a 10ft wall. They've had plenty of years to get better.

Though she sounds like a bit of a misery too. She needs to pick whether she wants to protect the bats or the garden. Personally I would run the ball gauntlet as I love bats and a football is much less painful than a rugby ball.

The odd ball from an enthusiastic child kicking a ball (that doesn't hit you in the face), fine. An onslaught of pot bellied middle aged david beckham wannabes firing shots into your lawn from afar, nightmare.

Can the footballs be the thin plastic type so they are less heavy and do not travel as well? Those leather ones in the face are much more of a painful shock.
  • sp1987
    sp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with a majority of posters. How DARE your son play football in his own garden. I think you, as parents, should be put in jail and your son should be put to work down the mines.

On a serious note, there is nothing worse than living next door to a dog that barks constantly day and night. That ruins the peace about a billion times more than a child occasionally kicking a football over a fence. I can't begin to tell you how Many times the constant barking next door to me has almost driven me to throw poison over the fence just to get some freaking peace (not that I ever would mind).

Depends though. Our neighbours said to us when we moved in 'oh we have a dog that barks constantly, very sorry'. To be honest the dog is very, very old and cannot muster much of a noise (to me, it would probably annoy the hell out of non dog people). I love dogs so as far as I'm concerned it is just a bit of white noise. Probably much the same as balls over the fence if you have kids kicking their balls over the same fence :rotfl:

I guess the answer is, when you move, look out for goalposts (or kennels) in neighbours gardens and when you find a house with the same annoyances as you wish to create, move in and save the rest of the world from whatever it is. All the 'slash everything in the garden and bonfire it most nights from march - november' people would be together, then :rotfl: which would please me.
  • Catblue
    Catblue Posts: 872 Forumite
    Options
    Folks, it is not the son who is kicking balls over - it is adults.

I must say if the goal is in the middle of the 100 foot by 60 foot garden (as the OP says it is), then the ball must travel at least 30 foot to the fence and then over a 10 foot high fence. I would conclude that the football is being struck extremely hard and certainly not on target. Almost makes it seem like adults are deliberately kicking the ball over.

Can't you turn the goal around 180 degrees and kick the football the other way? Problem immediately solved surely? Unless the OP and his wife don't want the ball coming their way in which case they are being entirely unreasonable.
  • jojo1964
    Options
    Catblue wrote: »
    Folks, it is not the son who is kicking balls over - it is adults.

I must say if the goal is in the middle of the 100 foot by 60 foot garden (as the OP says it is), then the ball must travel at least 30 foot to the fence and then over a 10 foot high fence. I would conclude that the football is being struck extremely hard and certainly not on target. Almost makes it seem like adults are deliberately kicking the ball over.

Can't you turn the goal around 180 degrees and kick the football the other way? Problem immediately solved surely? Unless the OP and his wife don't want the ball coming their way in which case they are being entirely unreasonable.

Its the OPs 7 year old with the football, not adults.
  • oldMcDonald
    oldMcDonald Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    Options
    jojo1964 wrote: »
    Its the OPs 7 year old with the football, not adults.

OP says it is mainly adults who are kicking the ball over the 10ft fence.
  • jojo1964
    Options
    OP says it is mainly adults who are kicking the ball over the 10ft fence.

Help! We recently moved into a new house with a large garden. The problem is the old lady next door doesnt like my 7 year old playing football in our garden. She has even written us a letter asking us to take him to the park to play. The first time that the football was kicked into her garden I went and asked for it back and she refused to give it to me! We had words and she was most rude and insisted we stopped him from playing football. She said it was damaging her garden/flowers and she felt unsafe as the ball might hit her! I pointed out to her that my son was at school between 8.30 - 3.30 and he was in bed at 7.00. It left him little time to play in the garden considering the english weather and he doesn't always play football. I decided to log the times my son played and surprisingly it was only a couple of hours over a 2 week period. Anyway the odd ball has gone over in a period of 11 months and she wont give them back. We just keep replacing them. When we moved into the house the previous family had a teenager that played footabll and they had erected a net over the shared fence to stop there ball from going over. But the day we moved in she asked us to take it down as Bats were getting stuck , which we did. She is now saying that she is keeping the balls for evidence in court! What can I do to make her give the balls back. I have to listen to her dog barking but don't complain. Advise please
  • globetraveller
    Options
    I missed the bit about the adults who kick the ball over as they can't resist having a go. No wonder the woman is going demented. That does nothing but aggravate the situation.
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,747 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Kidnap her dog and hold it to ransom? tell her "Give me my balls back ; ) or the dog gets it !!!!"
    stick the ball in the dogs mouth ,two problems solved at once:T
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills