PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Kitchen Diner or Separate?

Options
Just wanted to get some thoughts on this one to assist us in the decision making process. We're considering have an extension put on the back of the house next year and one of the options is to combine the kitchen and dining room (which are both at the back) into one to create a larger space. We have a separate lounge so this would mean we would not have two reception rooms anymore. We're not planning on moving in the near future but I wasn't sure whether combining the rooms would maybe affect the selling price further down the line.

It was this thread that made me think as the kitchen/diner in this house looks great!!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3417583

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Hovel_lady
    Hovel_lady Posts: 4,291 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know if it would affect the value of your house but that kitchen diner looks great!
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    personally i like separate rooms but i seem to be in the minority

when i look at houses on rightmove, im attracted much more to the ones where either the rooms are separate or you can just fit doors on the archway through so that you can have it open when needed or closed when you dont

not that we're looking to move but im just nosey
  • China2
    China2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure value wise but we have just converted a separate kitchen and dining room in to a kitchen diner. We actually had already planned to do it before we completed.

I much prefer it, especially when entertaining as you don't have to disappear in to another room every 10 mins.
  • liubeliu
    liubeliu Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options
    Kitchen dinner for me any day, with our young kids we can keep an eye on them when we are cooking and they are at table darwing or doing homework. Also more socialable when friends visit.

In fact we use the kitchen diner during the day and only use the lounge once the kids are in bed
  • Moomum
    Moomum Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    Were lucky enough to have a kitchen diner and a dining room for formal entertaining, at Xmas etc. Dining room gets used 1-2 a year, kitchen diner all the way :-)
  • Eton_Rifle
    Eton_Rifle Posts: 372 Forumite
    Options
    We always choose to have both.

A table in the kitchen for casual dining, baking overflow space and for kids projects etc.

A separate dining room when you want to create an atmosphere, a place you can make more intimate or decorate without dirty pans lying around and the lingering scent of the previous courses. Not to mention kid's fridge magnets, tvs etc affecting the ambiance.

Now our kids are grown, if I could only have one space then I'd choose the later but in earlier kid-centric years I'd have choosen the former.
  • tigzem
    tigzem Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    Options
    Kitchen diner all the way for me :) especially for a family. I have a flat with a seperate kitchen and it's quite isolating for me stuck in there cooking whilst the rest of the family are in the living room :(
    "Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little." Edmund Burke
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For the same reasons as Eton Rifle, I would rather have both......which is what we have always been lucky enough to have (or made a priority to have ;)) in the last 5 houses we've owned. I too hate piles of dirty pots/pans awaiting loading into the dishwasher/washing up by hand as well as cooking smells, when trying to create an atmosphere conducive to sophisticated (!!!) entertainment :p
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tigzem wrote: »
    Kitchen diner all the way for me :) especially for a family. I have a flat with a seperate kitchen and it's quite isolating for me stuck in there cooking whilst the rest of the family are in the living room :(

That's what I like about it:).
  • mathsmaster
    Options
    Definitely seperate - who wants to eat looking at all the pots and pans they've just used, in a room full of cooking smells? Though as previously mentioned, this view point seems to be the minority. A kitchen diner would be a deal breaker for me!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17iIEDX9rp4#at=360
    "You're never beaten until you admit it."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family