i need help i am upset please

Replies

• realshannonrealshannon Forumite
    236 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I too think the issue here is whether your mum has the mental capacity to be able to implement the PoA. I would start with Citizens Advice Bureau or a solicitor if this is an option, but this will need to be done very quickly. HWhat sort of medical evidence would you be able to produce, for example, something from the doctor to show she has had dementia for x number of years? best of luck
    p.s. not all families are like The Waltons, my sister would do exactly the same to me!
  • caveworkcavework Forumite
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    If your Mother is not of a capable mind then a Court of Protection Order should be applied for.
    Go to another solicitor and advise that the POA has been applied for and ask them to start proceedings for the COP.
    This should stop the POA application in its tracks but it will cost your Mum or you a lot of money to get this in place.
  • ivavoucherivavoucher Forumite
    529 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    "I HAD NO IDEA SIS HAS BEEN INVOLVING MUM WHO IS ONLY A LITTLE CONFUSED AT THE MOMENT"

Implies that mum is well enough to make rational decisions.
  • margaretclaremargaretclare Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ivavoucher wrote: »
    "I HAD NO IDEA SIS HAS BEEN INVOLVING MUM WHO IS ONLY A LITTLE CONFUSED AT THE MOMENT"

Implies that mum is well enough to make rational decisions.

Yes, but OP also says "my mum has stage 2 alzheimers,some days fine other days in cuckoo land..'

'Stage 2 Alzheimer's', if that has been properly-diagnosed, would imply that Mum is NOT well enough to make rational decisions.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • caveworkcavework Forumite
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    MY PROBLEM IS I HAVE TO BE CAREFULL NOW NOT TO UPSET SIS she says,she has power to do anything she wanys all her medical care her decisions,money.I dont trust her but reading others storys tell me as we all know it will be all too late,when money starts drifting away,i find she prob cant sell house without other signiture,but she could give it away!!to her husband,is this correct i am worried an cant sleep.rant over thanks for your help.

Your Sister does not have power to do anything she wants. She still has to account for her actions regarding any decisions she makes regarding your Mothers financial wellfare and must be able to prove she is working only in your Mothers interest.
    If she does not do this , she could face investigation and she could face a charge of fraud
    She has no powers over decisions regarding Mums physical well being without agreement from your Mum ,as your Mother was assumed to be competent of mind at the time of the order.
    As a close relative you are always in a position to question any decisions if this situation changes in the future.
  • alanqalanq Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    cavework wrote: »
    She has no powers over decisions regarding Mums physical well being without agreement from your Mum

If Mum no longer has mental capacity she may not always be able to give agreement. If Sis was given a Health and Welfare Lasting Power Of Attorney as well as a Financial one by Mum when she had mental capacity then Sis DOES have a lot of power over Mum's physical well-being. Sis will of course still be required to make decisions solely in the best interests of Mum and be accountable for any decisions she makes on Mum's behalf.
  • edited 16 August 2011 at 10:00PM
    ValliValli Forumite
    23.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 August 2011 at 10:00PM
    so sorry to upset you mc kneff i am just beside myself desperate for help an didnt expect an english lesson...no calm lass here now eh? not used to the computer,none of you have give me much response so far ..are there any compassionate folk on here.I will have to watch my grammer if i need help it seems. Now maybe some will come back to me that have been in this situation an be a little more less rude,whats the point of having a forum for help here???

It's nothing to do with your grammar - by writing one long paragraph you have made it VERY hard for us to see what you are asking. Your post is long...we need to know, succinctly, what the problem is then we can focus on that. We're not emotionally involved; you are. And she wasn't the only poster who suggested your original post was hard to read and understand.

Don't be so rude - she isn't criticising your grammar - just asking for clarity. And she actually asked very nicely then (later) apologised.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • ValliValli Forumite
    23.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NAR wrote: »
    Funny how husband and OP type exactly the same way! ;)
    I'm with this one - I'm off. The posters who have replied are among the kindest posters on this forum and their trust has been, IMO, abused by the OP and her 'husband' or 'Troll'. Whatever.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • RuthnJasperRuthnJasper Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    MoneyPenny26 - if your concerns are genuine, perhaps these people may be able to assist you in dealing with your sister's actions involving your mother:

http://www.elderabuse.org.uk/Index.htm

Age Concern or Help the Aged might also be able to offer advice - if you think that your mother's trust in your sister is misplaced and she is being encouraged to do things that she is unable to properly consider.

I do agree, however, that your abuse of those such as McKneff - who have been generous with their time and their experience in advising you is most unpleasant. No-one has been rude to you or disrespectful of the problem you posted. They don't deserve to have swipes taken at them by those whom they are trying to support. But perhaps this is why your sister is seeking to take a more proactive role in caring for your mother...?

However it may be, I wish you all the best.
  • I think we are posting into a vacuum on this thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News